Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: City of God
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on March 18, 2015
The movie is technically well made. At times it is very pretty. Then it crosses lines and shows the barbarity of living in such a slum.
I regret seeing this. Frankly, the level of violence against children cannot be overstated. I know terrible things happen to the innocent all around the world, but the depictions herein were a bridge too far. I'd enjoyed it as a slice-of-low-life up to that point.

No desire to ever see this flick again. Writing this review up solyly in hope Amazon will quit suggesting the movie to me.
on November 4, 2014
A good Brazilian production. It has extreme violence though making killing people a casual event. Also, the movie is extremely fast paced making it extremely difficult to read the subtitles (the film is in Portuguese). One has to try hard to read quickly not leaving enough time to comprehend the story behind the movie.
on February 9, 2016
Boring, and just could not comprehend the film.
To be honest turned it off and gave away DVD after
watching half of film. Not sure why all the praise on this film.
Guess I am too USA and Hollywood versions of films now a days LOL
III
on September 12, 2015
I can't get into it. The violence is part of the story, I understand - but it's too constant. The plot IS the violence, and it's too much for my tastes.

I watched about 20-25 minutes of it... I tried skimming through it to see if it got better, but every time I stopped, someone was shooting or holding a gun to someone else. Even gangsters need time out from the violence.

If this is truly how life is there, I feel so bad for the people living there.... but for the movie, there's too much...
on December 8, 2015
I saw this movie back in 2013.
Now that I don't remember the detail, I wanted to see it again,so last night, I saw it again.
I don't know why people really love this film.
First of all, voice of narration really disturbed me.
Without it, I cannot even follow the story.
Sometimes, like the movie Good Fellas, V.O.N works really good, but this time it didn't.
Next, the camera work. The hand held seems very annoying.
The director wanted to shake it to look like documentary style or because it was a low budget film, but I just didn't liked it.
The lightening was wonderful.
And the editing is also good.
And the ending seems decent.
But above all, I gained nothing after the film.
I remember no one's face.
No story left in my mind.
Is this suppose to be a good film?
on July 20, 2015
I am a huge movie buff and didn't like this movie at all. It received good reviews, but I'm not a fan.
on July 20, 2014
Interesting, but very violent. Was hard to see such young kids killing people.
on February 22, 2015
I spent so much time reading the subtitles, I couldn't get to the movie.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2015
Plot is completely predictable, story is told extremely slow for me.
on July 15, 2014
It was too violent and depressing. We only watched part of it.