5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Adventure
Published on February 17, 2009 by Agile Arts

This should be classified as Science Fiction. If you are a Christian and expecting it to agree with mainstream Christian beliefs, it will disappoint you. I deleted it from my Kindle after a couple of chapters. I like Science Fiction and I like Christian books, but I don't like reading stories where God's word is mixed in just enought to be twisted and polluted.
Published 9 months ago by Irene Harper

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Adventure, February 17, 2009
Agile Arts (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CITY OF HEAVEN (Paperback)
Tom Terry's latest is a non-stop thrill ride. His characters are believable, and his action sequences are (often literally) breathless. He does a great job of pulling off unexpected plot twists. Terry also introduces some fascinating technological ideas. This is not only a book about a space elevator disaster - it also wrestles with the effect of religious factions on world events, and even the nature of the "mind." The only complaint is that it is too short. I guess that's why they make sequels...
Highly recommended for those who love the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, Serenity/Firefly, Harry Harrison, and Cordwainer Smith.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Ride!, December 13, 2012
Supafly (Gig Harbor, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City of Heaven (Between Time Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those books. You know the one. You pick it up while standing at the counter, just planning to skim a page or two. The next thing you know you've kicked off your shoes and slink into a chair lost to the world for the next few hours. At the end of the journey I had experienced other worlds, politic struggles, terrible loss and great courage. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I should also mention that the writing is descriptive and fast paced. To this day I get a little uneasy when I hear someone mention nanotechnology..... Don't pass on this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good SciFi Novel Blending High Technology, and Zealotry, and Heroes, December 28, 2012
This review is from: City of Heaven (Between Time Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book because I know the author, and I like science fiction. The City of Heaven is a large orbiting city connected to earth by a space elevator. This massive tether was constructed by nanites. Nanites are molecular size robots that can both build and destroy. The book is laced with quotes from ancient texts and poetry. This was confusing at first, but do your self a favor and go to the glossy at the back of the book. This is where you can find explainations of the world Tom has created in this novel. I am an engineer and was impressed with the technology used in the novel. The tech was very believable and made the scale of the City of Heavan possible. The terrorist attack on the tether starts the drama where the engineer heroine saves the day, but not without a terrific fight. I would recommend this book to any scifi reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 11, 2012
This review is from: CITY OF HEAVEN (Paperback)
Fantastic, quick read. Though I suggest thumbing through those pages slower than I did, a reread is a must to catch all the thought that's packed into this novel! A sequel would be even better ;D

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, January 19, 2013
This review is from: City of Heaven (Between Time Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The ideas within this book are an amalgam of different religious beliefs. I found myself identifying the sources as I read the story. The clues to the sequel are there.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little difficult to understand, January 19, 2013
This review is from: City of Heaven (Between Time Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The beginning of the book and at times further on, it was technical and sometimes difficult to understand. After I decided the technical part was not that important, it did keep me reading. I enjoyed it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I thought this would have a more spiritual theme but it doesn't, April 7, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, February 7, 2014
This review is from: City of Heaven (Between Time Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Word crafting takes on explosive imagery in Tom Terry's sci-fi offering, City of Heaven. This epoch l, veiled in allusion to sacred text, will take you to the edge of nano-technological suspense. There's just enough mystery going on between the characters to keep you guessing. Their names alone are intriguing. The theatre of your mind will be actively engaged as this story maneuvers you through a cataclysmic event in space.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Science Fiction Story, August 29, 2013
This review is from: City of Heaven (Between Time Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this science fiction story. It seems like it may have been inspired by the Christian faith and the Bible, although it does not match completely.
The book takes some thought to understand; not an easy before-you-go-to-bed read, but not so hard that you don't get any of it either. I didn't understand all of the technical parts of it, but I still enjoyed reading it.
"City of Heaven" has suspense and mystery in it; I couldn't ever guess what was going to happen next. It is definitely an action-packed book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever, futuristic depiction of religious life, August 25, 2013
This review is from: City of Heaven (Between Time Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be a very interesting combination of concepts. Futuristic science fiction stories are by nature creative and portray a similar yet very different society to what we live in more. This book combines that concept with what one would assume to also be a very different if futuristic religious ideology. But when I think about who the various people and groups in this book might represent, I found the ideology to be frighteningly similar to today. The specific mechanisms the characters used to act out their belief systems might be futuristic, but the underlying philosophical underpinnings for their actions are very similar to our world today. I was somewhat disappointed by the ending in that that story just seemed to stop, and the book closed with and odd section that seemed to come out of nowhere. Beyond that, it was very engaging, somewhat scary to see the parallels to today, and technologically cool.