5.0 out of 5 stars City Quilts for the Urban Quilter
Published on May 28, 2010 by Tammy Gilley

2.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, derivative design work
I was disappointed in the majority of quilts in this book. I'm a big fan of modern quilting, but too many of these are simple, not sophisticated. The author's color sense is fairly flat and lacks innovation. Also for a book on quilts, the quilting itself seems to be an afterthought on most of the quilts. It is simply too little to keep the quilts looking sharp, rather...
Published on May 8, 2012 by sewer

5.0 out of 5 stars City Quilts for the Urban Quilter, May 28, 2010
Tammy Gilley (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City Quilts: 12 Dramatic Projects Inspired By Urban Views (Paperback)
In City Quilts, one of my favorite quilt designers, Cherri House, demonstrates how basic geometric shapes and the use of boldly-colored fabrics can create the breathtakingly beautiful quilts. The patterns and textures of cityscapes, both architectural and the layout of a city itself, inspired these quilt patterns. The simple lines and shapes in these quilts coupled with the bold use of color provide a "wow" factor that is sure to delight quilters from novice to expert.

I especially loved Cherri's discussion on color, and her reference to "a quilter's palette". She gives a brief, but thoroughly informative discourse on color schemes, which serves as a springboard in one's own palette discovery or a challenge to an quilt dog to try some new color tricks.

In City Quilts, Cherri shows us how we can train our eyes to see more than what's in front of us, and to see a quilt in everything. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! You'll never dismiss the cityscape again!, June 12, 2010
got my copy of out own Cherri House's book, "City Quilts" yesterday and it is lovely! Although it has patterns with yardage, etc, the part I found really wonderful was the in depth look at Cherri's inspiration, discussion on using solids in a painterly fashion, and the eye candy quilts. The quilts take their inspiration from urban landscapes, and I found them absolutely wonderful. I am planning on making almost every quilt in the book, albeit without the usual level of attention to the quarter inch.All of the quilts look as though they would be just as wonderful made in a liberated fashion, and all of them use solids. The directions look clear, with the caveat that I never really follow directions, so I may not be the best judge, (smile)
Worth buying for the photos alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great new quilt book!, June 1, 2010
I love this book! Cherri House has a wonderful design sense and explains her process well. Her patterns are simple but very effective and the colors just sing! I've never quilted with solid fabrics before but now I'm itching to go out and create a whole new stash -- and to start paying more attention to the designs in my own city.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, July 1, 2010
Judy "Judy" (Naperville, Il USA) - See all my reviews
Here is a perfect example of a creative individual who can make it "understandable" for everyone. The book is easy to follow, one can see how she arrives at her designs through great visual examples. Bravo for your use of solids. This is one beautiful book, I am so glad I purchased it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep it simple, August 18, 2010
I didn't have high expectations for this book, primarily because it looks like the content would be fluffy. But, I bought it anyway and was delighted with the content. While many pattern books for quilters focus on complicated designs for the intermediate and advanced quilter. This book reminds us to keep the designs simple, let the fabric, color, and value do all the heavy lifting. The ideas are contemporary, clean and fresh. There are wonderful examples of sashing, when to use it, what size it should be to create the effect you want. There are examples of traditional blocks/quilts using today's colors with updated quilting designs (just in case you are tired of feathers!). I highly recommend this book to all quilters, regardless of expertise level.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Book For A New Era of Quilting!, September 17, 2010
A wonderful book, full of all sorts of new inspiration and lots of words of wisdom. Once in awhile, I like a book that I can really sit down and read. Something that really gives me new insight into quilting and offers me a different point of view, and this book delivers on all of those counts. And then of course, even better, there are so many wonderful patterns to take at face value, or adapt and make your own. All the quilts are done with solid fabrics, such a change from what we see in most books today. Most important of all with this book is the idea of looking around you and seeing pattern in everyday life and then learning to create from it. It is not only a book of beautiful quilt patterns to make, but also a book for teaching you how to see quilt patterns all around you. Definitely a book that you want in your crafty collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually beautiful and full of contemporary monotone quilts., June 26, 2010
J Harkins (Southwest USA) - See all my reviews
A friend of mine already made the quilt that is on the cover. The fabric was not all available from one source, and it had to be ordered and shopped for.
It appears this book will make monochromatic fabrics popular.
I find the quilts very interesting because they have the intensity of the colors in Amish quilts, but also have contemporary designs.
Many of the patterns are great for "man quilts," as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is not a quilt in this book I WOULDN'T make., July 18, 2010
I have followed Cherri House in BLOGLAND for a long time and have frequently made/purchased her patterns. This book full of her 'city quilts' is inspiring. Easy to read, follow and make any one of these quilts. The pictures are fabulous and the writings of her very talented children just add up to a truly great quilt book. You need THIS one in your library!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, fresh designs, July 23, 2010
I've been looking forward to this book for months and enjoy it even more than I thought I would! I am very interested in quilts using only solid fabrics and I love each and every design in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quilts with color, August 9, 2010
Great book. If you never know how to quilt a quilt, this is wonderful for ideas. Beautiful colors and easy piecing.

City Quilts: 12 Dramatic Projects Inspired By Urban Views
City Quilts: 12 Dramatic Projects Inspired By Urban Views by Cherri House (Paperback - June 16, 2010)
$23.95 $16.40