Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 13, 2012
One of the very best ways to understand history is to know or experience something of the culture of the place or time. As I've gone into schools with historical programs and taught homeschool students, I've always tried to bring in food experiences. Food, after all, is about as close to a universal language as we have.

Julia Hutchins' Civil War Era Recipes is a compendium of recipes from a variety of documented sources, both North and South, and for those who know their way around a kitchen, a fair few of them are still usable today. I found a cake recipe that I've been using for more than 60 years here, though very slightly altered as baking powder did not exist at the time, and the strawberry ice cream is very close to the way I make strawberry ice cream today, though I use a blender rather than a sieve. You would even find Robert E. Lee's Punch right at home at your next cocktail party.

There is a Table of Contents, but unfortunately it does not connect with the Kindle navigation menu, nor are the individual recipes interactive. For some reason, the book opens to the first recipe rather than the title page, so you will have to page backwards to access it.

Food history buffs and those who teach this era will find this an interesting read.

Recommended.
VINE VOICEon May 15, 2012
This is a charming little book with interesting recipes. While some are peculiar to modern tastes, others are easy ti make and fun for kids. They could easily make the Hardtack and Lemonade powder recipes at home for a school project. A few, like, the "Stuffed Spare Ribs" would make an interesting dinner for guests.
on September 3, 2012
It's ok. I thought there would be more recipes of which i could make today.You would be hard pressed to find some of the foods used.
on December 26, 2012
There are a number of great recipes in this book that would taste great to the palates that exist today. It is fun to see how some food items were popular during the civil war era.
on May 6, 2012
Although I might never actually use the recipes, save one or two, I really enjoyed this blast from the past - I'm a histry major interested in the Civil War :)
on July 10, 2012
This is a great look at some of the unusual recipes of the day, but I was hoping for some useful ones, too. Also, I was disappointed to find that most of these recipes can be viewed for free on their website. Wish I could get a refund :(
on June 11, 2013
Nice ideas...not all feasible for 2013: a lot of great recipes and I will be using some of them!-loved it
on October 8, 2013
The recipes are just paragraphs, like they were copied like that straight from the old papers. The text is small and close together so it is very hard to read.
on February 6, 2014
This was a fun little bit of history, if you are interested in food and food ways of that period. I got this as a free book, and have enjoyed it.
on July 7, 2013
Very interesting to read. I wouldn't make many of the recipes but its fun to see the different foods of a different time.