4.0 out of 5 stars The More Things Change . . .
One of the very best ways to understand history is to know or experience something of the culture of the place or time. As I've gone into schools with historical programs and taught homeschool students, I've always tried to bring in food experiences. Food, after all, is about as close to a universal language as we have.

Julia Hutchins' Civil War Era Recipes...
Published on March 13, 2012 by Grandma

3.0 out of 5 stars Civil War Era Recipes
It's ok. I thought there would be more recipes of which i could make today.You would be hard pressed to find some of the foods used.
Published on September 3, 2012 by linda Braswell

4.0 out of 5 stars The More Things Change . . ., March 13, 2012
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)

Julia Hutchins' Civil War Era Recipes is a compendium of recipes from a variety of documented sources, both North and South, and for those who know their way around a kitchen, a fair few of them are still usable today. I found a cake recipe that I've been using for more than 60 years here, though very slightly altered as baking powder did not exist at the time, and the strawberry ice cream is very close to the way I make strawberry ice cream today, though I use a blender rather than a sieve. You would even find Robert E. Lee's Punch right at home at your next cocktail party.

There is a Table of Contents, but unfortunately it does not connect with the Kindle navigation menu, nor are the individual recipes interactive. For some reason, the book opens to the first recipe rather than the title page, so you will have to page backwards to access it.

Food history buffs and those who teach this era will find this an interesting read.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a school project, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)
This is a charming little book with interesting recipes. While some are peculiar to modern tastes, others are easy ti make and fun for kids. They could easily make the Hardtack and Lemonade powder recipes at home for a school project. A few, like, the "Stuffed Spare Ribs" would make an interesting dinner for guests.

3.0 out of 5 stars Civil War Era Recipes, September 3, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, May 6, 2012
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)
Although I might never actually use the recipes, save one or two, I really enjoyed this blast from the past - I'm a histry major interested in the Civil War :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Slice of history, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)
Nice ideas...not all feasible for 2013: a lot of great recipes and I will be using some of them!-loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who love food and recipe histories, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)
There are a number of great recipes in this book that would taste great to the palates that exist today. It is fun to see how some food items were popular during the civil war era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eating like our Forefathers did, January 31, 2015
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful book to use for Homeschooling or for teachers of American History. Although the recipes are not really what would be eaten today it shows what our ancestors have eaten in the past to survive. Regardless there are recipes I would be willing to try. I was disappointed in the fact that the links at the back of the book for the authors other sites except Pinterest would not open. I did not try the tweet site or Facebook because I don't go to those sites. Other than that the recipes are fantastic. I plan on using a lot of them with my family. I might even try the hardtack. I think my husband would like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hoped for, July 10, 2012
liza mcilwee (Carson City, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)
This is a great look at some of the unusual recipes of the day, but I was hoping for some useful ones, too. Also, I was disappointed to find that most of these recipes can be viewed for free on their website. Wish I could get a refund :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, February 6, 2014
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)
This was a fun little bit of history, if you are interested in food and food ways of that period. I got this as a free book, and have enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but a little hard to read., October 8, 2013
D7 (Alamogordo, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civil War Era Recipes (Kindle Edition)
The recipes are just paragraphs, like they were copied like that straight from the old papers. The text is small and close together so it is very hard to read.

Civil War Era Recipes