5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Expansion Pack Ever
Published on August 22, 2009 by reading all night

1.0 out of 5 stars What I ordered and what I got . Now I have to order something else.
It did not inform me I need to have the Civ 4 game already, So now I have to purchase the Civ 4 game itself before I can use this one.
Published 17 months ago by Tom Oates

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Expansion Pack Ever, August 22, 2009
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
Most expansion packs are disappointing, and until now the Civilization ones were no exception. They add a few new units, a few new civilizations, and maybe a concept or two. Although "Beyond the Sword" does all of this, it does a lot more. The additions--corporations that grow and develop, random events that affect relations and growth, a new espionage system that puts teeth back into spies--change the strategy of the game, adding complications and nuances throughout. This is especially good when all of the territories have been claimed. Before this pack, late gameplay was the least interesting part. Now, it is just as enjoyable as the rest of the game. There are also little things that I've enjoyed. Building wonders has always been a great part of Civilization, and now there are many more. New military units, like anti-tank infantry, guided missiles, and paratroopers, add new strategic possibilities to war, and personally, I really like the new animations for the spaceship. The only thing a little disappointing is that they couldn't get Leonard Nimoy to read the script for the new technologies. I don't know who the new guy is, but compared to Nimoy, he sounds pretty lame. You won't be disappointed with this expansion pack. After playing this at my house a few nights ago, a friend of mine went home and ordered his own copy immediately. If you're a fan of the Civilization series, I suggest that you do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps geting better!, August 8, 2009
Gene Feierstein (Cary, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
I've been playing Civ since the original came out in 1991 and this expansion moves Civ IV to the top of the list for me. It's now a richer and deeper game which permits the player to be successful with a wider range of strategies. Espionage and random events are my two favorite changes. On the other hand, corporations feel grafted on and just don't seem to add that much to the game. The AI has definitely been improved and I definitely recommend this expansion to anyone with the original Civ IV. If you haven't bought the Warlords expansion, don't bother - everything from it is included in Beyond the Sword except the Warlords scenarios.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
Beyond the Sword for Mac is a game for great minds. I played the PC version for a while now, but running on iMac or MacBook gives me much better graphics performance and experience. I play with my sons (they use the PC version on Dell) via LAN setting, after installing patch 319, we can play hours with a lot of fun. My version on Mac works much more smoothly than the PC version; I guess OpenGL is better than DirectX? Not sure. Apple just makes much better platforms for games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in breed for Mac games so far, January 21, 2010
Todd Stephens (Lakeland, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
I had Civ IV and the first expansion, Warlords, for some time. Running on 10.4 they both crashed. A lot. I have not had a single crash so far in BTS. Now, I did upgrade to 10.6 before playing this, so possibly that had something to do with it. Others have already reviewed the game content. I have nothing really to add to that. Just wanted to mention that this has made the game much more stable for me, in addition to being a pure joy to play. Brings back memories of Civ III.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game, much better than vanilla version, August 24, 2010
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
I'm not going to try to convince you that the Civ games are good. You either like turn-based games or you don't. If you do like them, then you will not be disappointed by this one. I'm just bummed because I know it will be a while before a Mac version of Civ 5 comes along.

I was worried about buying the Mac version because I'd read so many negative reviews. But I really hate using the Boot Camp drive, so I decided to risk it. Here are some of the issues that people have had:

1) Game crashing in the late stages. For me, this has not really been much of a problem. Make sure you install the appropriate patches when available. It is true that the game sometimes gets laggy or the sounds/music get messed up, especially towards the modern era. But I found that quitting the program (after saving!) and relaunching solves that problem easily. It doesn't happen every time...I'd say I have to do this every 5 games or so. It does seem to happen more if I'm doing other things on the computer, like checking email or surfing the web while the game is running.

2) Laptop overheating. Macbooks run hot, whether you're playing a game or not. I use a laptop cooling pad and have had absolutely no problems with overheating.

3) Compatibility with PC saves. Not a problem at all; I'm able to load other people's save files without difficulty.

Finally, a word of warning. This game can be addictive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the Sword, November 15, 2009
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
Best expansion pack ever!!! The higher levels are insanely difficult. Endless game possibilities with hours an entertainment!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Expansion, July 25, 2011
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
I have to admit that I was pretty sold on Civ IV already ... but I was getting a little bored. "Beyond ..." definitely reignited my enthusiasm. The new units are fun, but the new strategy options really make it a winner! Vassal states? How cool!

4.0 out of 5 stars CIv 4 Beyond Sword, June 2, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
The new units, leaders, etc are all nice. This add on seems to play more difficult than Warlords or the base Civ 4. The computer controlled civs attack more intelligently. They at times all seem to gang up you also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you would expect from a Civilization game., August 21, 2010
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
Brilliantly made, this expansion adds a few Civilizations, techs, and elements. The "spy" element is a great addition that may turn the game around if used strategically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac (Video Game)
Corporations definitely improves a neglected area of the game... a solid expansion, and if you like creative spinoff scenarios, it has that too...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac
Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword - Mac by Aspyr Media (Mac OS X)
$9.99 $6.45