Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on July 12, 2010
I have used this hair color for years and it is the absolute best! I have dark brown hair and this turns it an extremely light blonde, just like in the picture! I get compliments on it all the time and people are amazed that I do it myself! Recently I have not been able to find it in stores so I tried Revlon and then LOreal colors but neither even came close to the lightness that I get with Herbal Essences. Right now I am waiting for my online order to come in so I can fix what these other products did. It is also not very damaging as it has no ammonia and from what I have experienced it will turn your hair the color that it shows on the box (unlike other brands!!) and is the least damaging for the color it gives. The conditioner is also wonderful. My only advice is that I leave the dye on for about an hour before washing it off which is longer than the directions say to, but my hair looks wonderful afterward and it is still less damaging than other hair dyes.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2011
This is the best blonde hairdye product I've ever bought. All other blondes turn orange or brassy. This hairdye actually has a packet of bleach that you add in, and that keeps it from turning any other color but bleach blonde. I am so happy with this product. It is VERY hard to find in stores. Only Walmart carries it, and today actually I went to 2 different Walmarts and they were on clearance with none left :( I hope they aren't dis-continueing this because then I'm back to square one trying to find a hairdye that equals up to this one. It works great on my dark brown hair getting it to the blonde that is exactly pictured on the box. Can't believe it's so inexpensive too. People don't believe me that my hair isn't professionally done.
on January 7, 2012
This is my favorite hair color. My hair color is a auburn and it lightens it up while still keeping just a touch of red. It really is a lovely color. LOVE IT! :)
on July 28, 2014
They used to sell this in my local WalMart but then it just disappeared. I've tried other "bleacher" kits and they don't have the same result as this product does for a guy or even for a girl. I was glad to be able to find it on Amazon and for cheaper than it was in the store. When you use this bleach kit you will get bleached the first time and not have to re-apply in the same week for the color you want. Be mindful of course that if you have black hair* it's not going to be as "blonde" as everyone else that uses this kit, but it'll be a whole lot lighter for sure. People that were born blonde will see better results that those that were not.
on August 16, 2015
I stock-pile this and am so sad it's very difficult to find since it's been discontinued. I have very baby fine, soft hair that is brown black, and this is one of the few dyes that doesn't turn my hair into the fried cotton candy look. I use this to dye my hair a medium golden blonde, then tone it after (since my hair has a lot of red), to get it to look like the photo. The reason I use this dye is because it keeps my hair healthy & shiny, but lightens it so many shades. I also use the leave in conditioner it comes with a lot, which seems to help moisturize and prevent split ends. I wish Clairol would bring back this line.
on July 23, 2010
The box labeled this as a pure golden doesn't even come close. It is more of a coppery light auburn. I am so disappointed, I've grown out my natural hair color for a year so that I could dye it a nice golden brown. I just hate this color on me. If you are looking for a red then get this since it does look natural but if you want brown, stay far away!
on January 22, 2015
This is the closest I have gotten to the color I really expect from a light ash blonde. I have naturally dark blonde hair and have been coloring for years, so I'm pretty much just going after the roots when I color now. This formula is quick and effective and the tone is more ash than many other brands I have tried. Short of making your own with supplies from your local Sally Beauty, this is the best deal going.
on March 22, 2009
Not too much ammonia like some products and my hair seems to love it. Also, this is the perfect color for me, a reddish brown, not too red, not too dark. (It's funny to me that Clairol considers it a shade of brown instead of a shade of red... I'm not sure what's up with that. "Golden Brown" doesn't suggest red to me, though "Amber Shimmer" seems apt.)

Update, January 2010. When I got mine last time, it was directly from Amazon and almost 1/3 of the price I see listed today from another merchant. It's great stuff (still my favorite), but obviously, look elsewhere. (Ah, even the singles at Amazon instead of the three pack.) Update again, you can get this from an online Drugstore if you add dot com to that. Though I wish Amazon would stock it again. (Update again, March 2010 -- they've fixed the price here. Today, it is 22.99 for the three-pack again, vs. 8.99 each at the online Drugstore.)

Oh geez, and they posted all those instructions, which ends up misleading. There is no "blonding mixture" as part of this color. It's just dye (and the followup conditioner). I don't think this lightens your hair. My overall color is lighter than shown on the box, but that's because I start with lightish hair. ("Dirty dishwater strawberry blonde", I used to call it. "The color of honey" someone once told me, which seems a more flattering and poetic description. This just kicks up the red a bit for me. And, *cough*, coversasmidgeofgray.)

Update, 8/21/2012: I just talked to Clairol about recommended alternate products for shade 54 (amber shimmer) of Herbal Essences Color Me Vibrant.:
1. Nice 'n' Easy, shade 116a, natural light golden brown: Clairol Nice 'n Easy Hair Color 116A Natural Light Golden Brown 1 Kit (Pack of 3)
2. Natural Instincts Vibrant, shde 6G, hot tea: Clairol Natural Instincts Vibrant Permanent Hair Color 6G, Hot Tea, Light Golden Brown 1 Kit

Wow, those don't look right at all (they look too dark and not red enough), although I had a conversation with the customer service rep about the red. I still have a couple of boxes of the Color Me Vibrant left, but I'm afraid to buy more aging product, so I'm looking for the next product to jump to. I'm not sure these are it, but I'll post more here when I find something good.

(I did some online searching and gave up... I might regret the old product, but this color is so perfect for me and I can't find a good alternate. I just bought some more of this, and will keep looking for something good to switch to.)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 2, 2015
Bought this item from this seller. The product was awful and must have been outdated. It must have been outdated because it was orange in the bottle, fried my hair, burned my scalp and had to cut off 3 inches off my hair. I have been using this product for years and never had this kind of problem.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Staci,

This is just horrible. I'm so sorry you had such damage and irritation from our Herbal Essence Color in the Knockout Blonde. We want to hear more about this situation as soon as possible. Please give us a call at 1-855-236-3353. Our agents are available M-F from 9AM-6PM EST. Let the responding agent know of this referral and you'll be very well taken care of, Staci.

on June 24, 2014
Very bright but definitely more red than brown, but a deeper red. Very pretty and has highlights. And is hard to find. Also red dye doesn't stay in as long, but this one does pretty well. Using the conditioner every time you shampoo does help the color stay true.