HairPainting. Radiant, dramatic highlights with and quick, easy brush-on technique.
HOW DO I KNOW IF NICE 'N EASY HAIRPAINTING IS FOR ME?
HairPainting is perfect for you if you want subtle blonde highlights that are permanent and won't wash out. HairPainting is ideal for both long and short hairstyles.
HOW DO I APPLY NICE 'N EASY HAIRPAINTING?
Nice 'n Easy HairPainting is applied with a quick, easy-to-use brush for precise highlights.
WHAT IF THIS IS MY FIRST TIME HIGHLIGHTING?
Nice 'n Easy HairPainting is easy-to-use – even if it's your first time highlighting! Check out our side panel for help selecting your shade result or call to talk to our Expert Color Consultants.
HOW DO I KEEP MY NEW HIGHLIGHTS LOOKING HEALTHY AND SHINY?
Nice 'n Easy HairPainting comes with a multiple use Moisture Intensive Conditioner that penetrates hair so it stays soft and shiny week after week.
WHAT PRODUCTS DOES CLAIROL MAKE?
Clairol makes haircolor products. Choose from Semi-Permanent (lasts through 8-12 shampoos), Demi-Permanent (lasts through 28 shampoos), Permanent (lasts until your hair grows out or you recolor) or Highlighting & Blonding to help you become colorwonderful .
SHOULD INDIVIDUALS WITH NATURAL, UNCOLORED HAIR USE DIFFERENT HAIRCOLOR PRODUCTS THAN THOSE WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY COLORED THEIR HAIR?
It depends on the desired result. If you are coloring your hair for the first time and only want to enhance your natural color, try a Demi-Permanent (lasts through 28 shampoos) product close to your natural haircolor. If you want to go lighter, you need to select a Permanent (lasts until your hair grows out or you recolor) haircolor, then refer to the insert that comes inside your box of Clairol haircolor and follow the instructions for first time application.
SHOULD PEOPLE WHO WANT TO COVER GRAY HAIR USE DIFFERENT COLORING PRODUCTS THAN THOSE WHO DON'T NEED COVERAGE?
Most Clairol haircolor products will blend or cover gray hair to some degree. If you have a small percentage of gray (not very visible), use a Semi-Permanent (lasts through 8-12 shampoos) product, such as Loving Care. If you have a higher percentage of gray hair (up to 50%), use a Demi-Permanent (lasts through 28 shampoos) product such as Natural Instincts, which will blend away gray hair.
On the other hand, if you have a lot of gray and want to cover it completely, use a Permanent (lasts until your hair grows out or you recolor) product. If you have 50% or more gray, use Nice 'n Easy Gray Solution.
HOW CAN I TEST-RUN A COLOR BEFORE COMMITTING TO COLORING MY ENTIRE HEAD OF HAIR?
Strand test is a simple method for you to test haircolor on a portion of your hair before doing the entire application. (The instructions are in your haircolor box.) It's an important step because it's the only way to see exactly how the shade you selected works with your starting haircolor to achieve the resulting color. A strand test will also help you determine the exact timing you'll need to color your whole head.
WHERE CAN I FIND PRODUCT INSTRUCTIONS?
Product instruction inserts are inside your haircolor box.
BEFORE YOU HIGHLIGHT
- Read this entire instruction leaflet before you begin.
- Do the STRAND TEST to determine your optimum highlighting time.
- Do not shampoo immediately before highlighting – your scalp has natural oils that help protect it. If hair has excess styling product build-up, shampoo the day before.
- Do not use HairPainting if your hair is double processed (pre-lightened and tinted with a toner), relaxed, treated with henna or color restorers. Call the Expert Color Consultants for advice.
USEFUL TIPS BEFORE YOU START
- Cover up with a smock or an old towel to protect your clothing.
- If your hair has been recently permed, wait at least 7 days and 1 shampoo before highlighting. Be sure to do the Strand Test, since your timing may need to be reduced. If you plan to perm your hair, wait at least 7 days and 1 shampoo after highlighting.
- Comb your hair in the style you normally wear it.
- Wear the gloves provided when you prepare and apply the highlighting mixture.
- If the shade is too light, you need to leave the highlighting mixture on your hair less time. That's why it's good to do the Strand Test. If you have already highlighted all of your hair, call the Clairol Expert Color Consultants for advice.
- If your highlights are too red/gold ("brassy") looking or not light enough, you need to leave the highlighting mixture on longer to remove the brassy tones and allow you to reach your desired level of lightness. Call the Expert Color Consultants for advice.
- Highlighting is not recommended for gray hair.
- Remember that highlights are permanent and will not wash out.
- Reapply your highlights every 2-3 months. When applying, be sure not to apply on areas that have been previously highlighted.
Do the STRAND TEST each time you highlight to determine optimal timing and results. Sun, chlorine, and perms can affect your timing and results. You will need: scissors, tape, plastic bowl, plastic spoon and a clock.
- Cut a 1/4 inch wide strand from the darkest part of your dry hair close to the scalp and tape at the cut end.
- Put on gloves provided. Holding away from face, shake Highlighting Powder (1) packette until contents settle to the bottom. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Highlighting Powder (1) with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Developing Creme (2) in a plastic bowl. Reseal Highlighting Powder (1) tightly to avoid spilling.
- Completely cover hair strand with highlighting mixture and start timing. Depending on how light you want your highlights to be, you should leave the highlighting mixture on a minimum of 10 minutes or up to a maximum of 90 minutes.
- After the minimum suggested timing, wipe the strand clean. If the hair strand is not the shade you want, reapply the highlighting mixture and check it every 5-10 minutes. Remember your hair looks darker when wet. If after the maximum time, the strand is not the shade you'd like, read the Useful Tips section. When the strand is the shade you want, write the time amount below.
- Rinse and save gloves.
Keep all haircoloring products out of reach of children.
- This product contains ingredients including hydrogen peroxide, which may cause severe eye irritation and possible permanent eye injury. If any product gets into your eye, flush immediately with a large amount of lukewarm water and seek medical advice.
- We recommend removing contact lenses before applying highlighting mixture. If you must wear contact lenses during application and if any product gets into your eye, remove the lens first, then flush immediately with a large amount of lukewarm water and seek medical advice.
- Never use HairPainting on eyebrows or eyelashes or if your scalp is irritated or injured. Do not apply highlighting mixture directly to scalp.
- If the highlighting mixture comes into contact with your skin, wash area immediately with lukewarm water.
- Do not inhale or ingest product.
- Do not use if your hair has been colored with henna or metal dyes.
- Prepare and use the product in a well-ventilated area. If you experience inhalation difficulties, move to fresh air.
- Remove all metal objects from hair before and during highlighting.
- Wear gloves and rinse hair well after application.
- Keep product in a cool place away from heat and light. Do not mix this with any other product. Do not keep any unused mixed product. Do not leave the mixture in a closed bottle (bottle may expand or burst).
- Product not intended to be used on children.