Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 1, 2012
Note: I recieved a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Officially one of my most favorite writers now, R.S. Guthrie scores big with Lost and tucks another winner for the Clan of MacAulay under his belt.

Like Black Beast, Lost is a well-written nail-biter, showcasing a protagonist who could never be accused of being one-dimensional. Detective Robert MacAulay--a tough as nails, big-hearted fellow who is no stranger to tragedy-- is so exceptionally developed that he seems real, adding to the overall suspense of the story because you just don't want anything bad happening to Bobby Mac. There's an emotional depth to Guthrie's writing that hooks you by the heart and yanks you headlong into Bobby's world, and what a harrowing world it is! Missing children, apparitions appearing in the middle of nowhere in their Sunday best, demon possessions, human sacrifices, bloody confrontations between the FBI and the spiritual realm. Evil is rampant and only Bobby Mac has the weapon to fight it. One particular chilling scene involves a man who brutally murders his family, Spence Grant. Guthrie forces the reader into Grant's head, which is not a pleasant place to be. His thought processes resonate so disturbingly authentic that I had to wonder if Guthrie had studied the profiles of actual killers and is giving his readers a glimpse into their minds. Really, it was very creepy.

That's it for spoilers! You'll have to read this good-versus-evil page-turner with a paranormal twist to see how the coolest male sleuth ever goes head-to-head with Black Beast once again! Needless to say, I highly recommend Black Beast and Lost and look forward to the next Clan of MacAulay mystery.
on January 25, 2012
With his second novel, RS Guthrie has hit his stride.

Lost is the sequel to the very good Black Beast, and features the same protagonist, Denver detective "Bobby Mac" Macaulay. This story pursues the same themes: an unending struggle against ancient evil, fought by a man destined to be virtue's champion.

This second installment in the Clan of MacAulay series is leaner than the first, with a tighter writing style. It's an enjoyable, fast and easy read, but it's shorter than the first book. This is a smart move--Guthrie leaves you wanting more.

I have to admit, I was completely engrossed in this story. I read this e-book on my iPad in record time, and I was feeling stressed as I neared the end. I had to keep turning the pages to find out what happens next, but I was dreading the end because there would be no more to read! At least for a few months, until Guthrie brings out the third and last installment in this particular story (but, he promises, not the last appearance of Bobby Mac).

Plot
Lost picks up some months after the action in Black Beast, and explores more of the family situation of hero, Bobby Mac. This time, Guthrie delves into the relationship between Bobby and his brother, Jackson, who is a police chief in a small town in northern Idaho. Jackson calls Bobby for his help in solving a multiple murder that's coupled with the disappearance of a child.

The part of Black Beast that I felt was strongest was the emotional conflict the character feels over his personal relationships with his partners, lovers and son. Now, Guthrie looks at the troubled, contradictory and completely believable relationship between these two brothers. The only criticism is that I would have loved to have read more about that relationship, maybe through a flashback or something.

Characters
Bobby and Jackson Macaulay are drawn from real life and show the weaknesses and strengths that any reader will recognize. Jackson, in fact, reminded me so much of one of my father's friends, I could almost hear his voice.

I would have liked to read a few more pages about the love interest, Amanda. She is a well-drawn character, a believable career woman with complex emotions and a complicated life. But then, Guthrie almost ruthlessly adhered to the rule of moving the story forward.
The only character that seems a little flat is Father Meyer, Bobby Mac's cousin. He seems more of a foil than anything else, the character who finds clues for the hero and then gets flattened by a falling anvil or piano.

Style
Guthrie clearly knows how to write. He follows the "show, don't tell" rule, letting characters' actions show their thoughts and motivations. He tells us only as much back story as readers need to understand what's going on. This is a critical mistake that many new writers make--dropping long expositions about what a minor character did to explain what's going on. Like "Office Kevin, having skipped breakfast that morning, scarfed down the last two doughnuts. It was okay, though, because he worked out regularly, as evidenced by his flat belly." Or worse, "Jane listened sympathetically. She had been dumped by boyfriends twice in the past year."

However, Guthrie does make full use of his descriptive chops where he can take advantage of the setting, and describes the mountain scenes, for instance, where it makes sense in the story.

He has the talent to cross some genre boundaries, skilfully blending an investigative cop story and an occult horror novel. That's not easy to write without being completely cheesy, but there's not a hint of dairy product anywhere. If you can accept the existence of a personification of evil, then the whole story is not just plausible, it's hair-raisingly realistic.

With Lost, as with Black Beast, Rob Guthrie explodes the myth that commercial publishers have a lock on quality writing. I can only look forward to more from this author.
Without reservation, 5 stars.
on January 5, 2012
Be ready to sit for a while because you won't want to put the book down to do anything else. Mr. Guthrie is a superb storyteller. The many twists and turns he creates will keep you guessing. You will not only want to but HAVE to keep turning the page to find out where he's going to take you next.

I sincerely hope the character he's created, Detective Bobby Mac, will be around for a long time to come. I am totally enthralled with this man. Mr. Guthrie has created a Tough yet Sensitive Guy, A Man with a Sense of Humor yet Pure Professional when the occasion calls for it, A Hero to Humanity and yes, a Sexy and Sweet Lover. This man is all that and more.

I will read anything R. S. Guthrie puts out. His writing lures you in and makes you a prisoner of his prose.
I really enjoyed the first book in this Bobby Mac series - Black Beast. I think it was because so much of the first book was a police procedural rather than getting into the supernatural. I tend to like the police business more than I do the demon business.

In this offering, Bobby Mac heads to the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho area with his girlfriend to help his police chief brother Jax with the disappearance of a young girl.

I'm not quite sure why I didn't like this book as much as the first one. I think part of it was that I do like my characters a little more fleshed out than they were in LOST. I just couldn't seem to get involved too much with any of the characters in this book. When bad things were happening to the characters in the book, I had a hard time feeling much of anything because I didn't know much about the characters.

And, even though I do like the idea of the supernatural side of the story, I do like the police procedural piece more. I liked that the first book took place in Denver also - a place that I'm familiar with and really enjoy.

I am hoping that the third book in the series Reckoning ties all the loose ends up neatly and has more of the feel of the first book.
on September 2, 2014
I wish the author had indicated in the description that the book dealt with the paranormal or supernatural. I probably wouldn't have bought it. I had a bit of trouble following the story line and there are too many unanswered questions. Maybe I just missed something because I couldn't follow the story, but I don't understand (spoiler alert) why a demon would amass an entire army to combat one simple family. And why the heck did he want to destroy the family lineage? And why did a small town library have an obscure collection of rare books on the subject of demons and such, seemingly unsecured and available to anyone? Not my kind of book.
on October 12, 2012
I received a free download of Lost (Clan of Macaulay)" by R. S. Guthrie from the writer to read on my Kindle.

I have to admit this is the first time I have read anything by this author. What an amazing author! I plan to read the first book in this series shortly, but it can still be read as a stand alone novel.This book is so good that I was unable to put it down, until I had finished it.The characters are so well described and their personalities so well developed, that you feel them right beside you. Bobby Mac is one of those heroes that you cannot forget.

This is a book about the battle between the good and the evil, there are good characters and bad ones. This novel is a combination of suspense, thriller, mystery and horror.R.S.Guthrie is a master of suspense.It is not easy to combine all these elements in a realistic and believable story.

As for the plot, it just flows effortlessly from the beginning to the end. The characters are so well developed, that you can definately relate to them.You get so hooked on the story that it is as if you are there.You continue to follow the storyline to see what will happen next. An amazing novel from an amazing author. Read it you won't be disappointed.
on December 25, 2012
'LOST' is about Bobby 'Mac' MacAulay, a FBI agent who is called by his brother, the chief of police of Rocky Gap, Idaho, to privately consult on a local missing child case involving an eleven-year old girl. Her father, a very disturbed individual, claims that the Devil took her.

Bobby leaves his home base of Denver, Colorado to assist in his brother's investigation. This abduction soon escalates into a full-blown fight between good and evil. Bobby is a fascinating character and it is his inner dialogue which anchors the novel. He is a hardened law enforcement officer facing something outside of the realm of normal police work. He questions his sanity and his abilities, but gathers his courage to protect the innocent.

'LOST' is the second book in what is to be a trilogy (the third book is not yet published); I read it before the first book in the series, 'Black Beast.' Know that 'LOST' stands alone, there is enough background provided that you do not need to read the series in order (but, check out 'Black Beast,' later, as a prequel).

Amazing, wonderful book!
on March 23, 2013
Detective Bobby Mac is back on the job hunting down demons and trying to stay above ground. Losing his loved ones while contemplating his sanity, he struggles with unexpected faith that comes from a deep and unexpected source. Fighting for the good in human makeup, he has to rely on unscrupulous beings that confuse and taunt him.
This book is a volume two thrill ride that keeps you guessing and I couldn't put it down!.
I am now like a junkie waiting for my next fix.
I definitely think anyone with a curious mind would enjoy this series of books.
Not overly graphic for the younger generation.
I recommend this author and his style of writing skills to most anyone. Good job!!!
on January 29, 2012
Okay, I confess. I have more than a small crush on this guy - Detective Bobby Mac. He's a big part of why I like this book and the first one The Black Beast. Here's a man who can be tough as nails AND sensitive. This book took a different turn at the horrors he's facing and trying to conquer, even more horrendous than the last and explored the relationships siblings can develop. While the action is supernatural, everything else feels like what happens in real life, which I believe is why we can suspend our disbelief and buy into the supernatural.
on February 8, 2012
Title: LOST
Author: RS Guthrie
Publisher: Blu Pencil Publishing, LLC
Format: Kindle Edition
Interest: Supernatural/Thriller/Series
Rating 0-100: 97 (5 Stars)

Denver Detective Bobby Mac returns in this intense horror/thriller, set in the northern panhandle wilderness of Idaho. After receiving a phone call from his brother, the Chief of Police in Rocky Gap, Idaho, Bobby Mac travels north to assist in the investigation surrounding two gruesome murders and the abduction of an eleven-year-old girl.

These two seasoned cops---estranged brothers reunited---will bring all of their experience to bear in a case that threatens not only the safety of a small town, but also the sacred lineage of a family of heroes.
________________________________________

This is the second book in the series by Guthrie featuring Bobby Mac. In the first novel, Black Beast, Mac finds that the evil in our world extends to the supernatural realm, and this battle between good and evil has been going on for a long time. Bobby Mac also discovers that his family has been on the frontlines of this battle for generations.

LOST continues the Bobby Mac adventure, picking up shortly after the first story. When his brother Jax (Jackson), Chief of Police in a small Idaho town, reaches out to him for help with a strange case, Bobby is reluctant at first. It sounds like another typical 'crazy person goes off the deep end and decides to kill their family' kind of case. The suspect is in custody, and the only member of the family that can't be accounted for is the eleven year old daughter. While Mac sympathizes with Jax and the problem of a missing girl, he has no intention of helping his brother until Jax describes the events as told by the suspect. Evil is back, and this time it has a chip on its shoulder.

Some thoughts on this particular series:

Reading the sample of the first book (Black Beast) on Amazon did not appeal to me. I ended up buying the book for two reasons. The first was due to the Kindle Fire giveaway that the author was promoting. The second is the fact that part of the proceeds go to charity. I'm not sure if the sample has changed since I purchased the book, but if it hasn't, then I would urge you to take a chance on it, especially if you like supernatural thrillers. My first impression, based on that sample I was shown, changed drastically by the time I finished the first book. I was hooked.

If you are a fan of the television show Supernatural, then this series of books will appeal to you. Personally, I'm a huge fan of both. I've also become a fan of Rob Guthrie and his blog. He is one of the most accessible, and genuinely nice people that I've interacted with on Twitter and Facebook. With that disclaimer out of the way, let me share some thoughts about this particular book.

LOST has all the elements that made me like the first one, and if anything, it's even better. The writing is tighter and the read is faster. The series weaves a supernatural story line into a crime thriller, or vice versa, depending upon how look at it. Either way, it's addicting. If you liked the first book, then you probably already have a copy of this one.

For those that are considering buying this book, and you haven't yet read Black Beast, then you should probably get that one first. Looking over some of the other reviews on Amazon I see that one reader gave it three stars because they felt, for lack of a better word, lost. The reviewer stated that it was hard to keep up with what was going on because Guthrie does not pull a lot of information from the first book. In other words, there's not a lengthy section entitled, 'previously on...' pick your favorite television drama. I couldn't agree more. Read this book out of sequence and you are going to miss out on some great details, including character introduction and motivation.

My only criticism of this book is that it was too short. While it may be a novel length book, I was starving for Bobby Mac and felt like I had to settle for fast food. The story moves at a fast pace and I just wish it had lasted longer. The only thing I love more than a series is a big fat book that takes a week or two to get through. Bobby Mac is such an appealing character, with so much potential, it's a shame that the adventure ended as soon as it did. Guthrie needs to write faster. I'm already hungry again.

--Rush