on July 1, 2012
So after trying to work with this game since its release date on June 26th, I finally decided to give up. While the concept of the game (future warfare, stealth rather than run and gun, x-ray, etc) are amazing, the execution completely ruins it. Ultimately, Ubisoft took what could have been the next big FPS and turned it into a magnitude 10 headache.

Let's start with the installation. If you got the Amazon copy of this, via either DVD or Direct DL, then you can't auto patch it to the latest version. The UPlay auto patcher will run, download an update or two, and then you'll be stuck at some in between version, instead of the latest 1.2. This disables you from any form of online interaction. So I proceed to uninstall, reinstall the game fresh, and then instead of running the default patcher, download the latest patches from Ubisoft direct. This at least got me to 1.2

Then comes all the glitches that were never worked out. Despite claiming that this would not just be a simple PC port, and using this as an excuse for the over a month delay in release date, once we get the game, behold it IS just a port (there is a class action lawsuit pending on this aspect). This means a whole gamut of glitches, causing the game to freeze, hang, crash, return nonsensical errors, on all versions (Amazon DL, Steam, Retail copies).

One of the main drawing points of this game (and one of the most heavily advertised by Ubisoft) is the multiplayer co-op. Good luck getting it to work. First, after finally setting up an UPlay account, it took two days to figure out how to add friends. If you add them through the UPlay website, they will show up both on the site and in game, but it will always be listed as offline, and you will never be able to join a game together. You will then have to REMOVE them first, then find them through the game's find friend option, and add them through there instead.

Once you have each other added, it takes another bit of searching to find an "official" (forum) thread on what ports to forward, and there's about 30 of them (for the game, for the patcher, and for the launcher).

So now you have everything patched. One of 3 things will happen:

If you are playing via Steam: Every 20 min or so, random error pops up, crashing one of the players and ending the entire co-op.

If you are playing retail/Amazon: The game will either:
1) De-sync mid mission (this means that while the host will see enemies, the other players will not, and they will only see a completely empty map. Even if the host kills all hostiles, moving to the check point will not trigger the next sequence, forcibly trapping you in that one particular part).

2) Infinite load. After clicking start in the lobby, you will both be stuck on either "Loading" or "Waiting for players" screen. This is entirely random, and will happen 80% of the time. You may get lucky once in a while and manage to get in 1 whole mission together, before it hangs on the next one again.

Overall, this game has brought me more headache and grief than joy. This is the last Ubisoft game that I pay money to play.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2012
I see why people are complaining about the game about all the issues but I don't understand why people with rigs that can't max it out. I have a 6950 2gb a 1045t x6 2.7 cpu and 4 gigs of ram and can max it out fine. I get about 40 average fps. Going online and versing people is easy and the game is amazing. Sure the trees might look a little out dated at times but the detail on the outfits and the amount of content within the game satisfies me. This is a great game I just do not understand the low rating NOW. When the game first came out yeah it was bugy and had issues but now I think its great.
on March 28, 2013
Do yourself a favor and NEVER buy this game. From broken multiplayer to broken co-op, most of this game does not function as stated on the box. Read their forums and laugh at how terribly this game was put together...
on November 20, 2012
Hello Folks,

Perhaps when the game first game out it was buggy, but, I don't see any issues with it now. It is the best game in the series. Great fun playing co-op...

Regards,

Marc
on March 29, 2013
This game would be great if Ubisoft wouldn't have their heads right up the console gamers' butts.
First, I cannot invite friends on my friends list to join the session before I delete them from my friend list first.
Secondly, we are unable to join our sessions because Ubisoft is so lousy making a good PC port that it requires NAT tweaking and all that stuff that the game will think that you are playing on a console.
C'mon. And just last month Ubisoft said that they want to get in good terms with the PC gamers. Not like this they wont..
on May 19, 2013
I played the game on the Xbox when it first came out and really liked it but it had a ton of problems. Got the PC version on sale for $12 bucks figured they would have it fixed by now. Nope spent the last 30 mins trying to get into a match but it just keeps saying connection lost. Avoid this piece of trash like the plague. The game is great when it works. The problem is it works less than 10% of the time.
on February 25, 2013
The graphics are dated, the game play is ok, and the multiplayer is uninspired. If you are looking to play Ghost Recon multiplayer do yourself a player and play the free Ghost Recon Online which has the same graphics for free and better game play in my opinion. I bought this after playing GRO and am sorry that I did.
on November 11, 2012
This game is very fun, i enjoy playing the game with my friends. Even if i'm by myself the campaign and the challenges make it difficult and unique . I just wish that you could bring your profile into a multilayer aspect so you can customize your guns. Instead they have ti to where you choice a set list of characters. Other than that, going against waves of enemies is not also fun, but entertaining listening to yourself and your friends reactions..

As far as the pc difficulties for the downloading the game. I hadn't had any, the game continues to patch itself so i believe that they either fixed it or they are adding more materiel as we play..
on December 9, 2012
I love 'Ghost Recon - Future Soldier', one of the BEST FPS 'single player' games I have played in a long time. I have not tried the multi-player version, YET. I am an OLD gamer, been doing this for more than 20 years.

I have also played Ghost Recon Online (FREE btw) and it has been my favorite ONLINE FPS shooter for a couple of months now. Some say TPS, THIRD Person Shooter, but when aiming it is first person. Third person is nice, lets you see more while down behind cover.

Most of the complaints about 'Future Soldier' was when if first came out, but I do see some more recent reviewers still having problems!

QUESTION (for current owners): Once you installed this game, and then having it running for some time, "Does it Update AUTOMATICALLY?" If not go in and FORCE it to do ALL the updates?
-When you buy a hard copy of most games, and install them you can usually play the game without being online and/or without doing updates BUT IF you do THAT then you are NOT fixing the bugs. As far as I can tell I think this does do UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY?
-The other problems can be your hardware is not up to standard for these new games. One VERY COMMON problem is the video (GPU) card drivers. Some times newer drivers make some games WORSE. Also, not that I work, for Nivdia but I gave up on Radeon (AMD) cards years ago.

My grandson just went out and bought one of the fastest AMDs out today, don't remember the model number, but it cost OVER $400. He had it working with the drivers from install disc but NOT so great. So he updated the drivers to the latest version and it QUIT running games all together (COD, BF3, etc.)! He spent a week TRYING to make it work, gave up, sent it back and bought an Nvidia 680 that WORKS flawlessly.

When it was 'ATI' Radeon they produced BAD drivers then, and since 'AMD' bought them out I THINK they must have the SAME software/driver programmers! As is often the case of HARDWARE manufactures try to save and CUT-CORNERS on the software. However, the BEST graphics card in the world is a useless, $2. piece of JUNK, if it does not work properly.

AGAIN - Graphic Cards (GPUs) and the drivers for them are the 'NUMBER ONE' problem with all games. I use an older card, an Nvidia GTS 450 with 1GB memory, and every time I have tried using a new or different driver for it something has not worked correctly! So I go back to same old driver, a year and a half old, and EVERYTHING WORKS fine. However, my OLD Nivida 450 works just fine, runs EVERYTHING, maybe not in ULTRA or HIGH-END modes but still everything looks GREAT (like 'Medal of Honor - Warfighter' awesome graphics).

NOTE: Six (half) of all the twelve BAD reviews were all in the first two weeks, and ten of the twelve were all in the first two months.
ONLY FOUR reviews in the last two months and all of them are 4 or 5 Stars!!

Like so many other game companies Ubisoft apparently went to market TOO SOON. But so has EA/Origin and Activision/Steam! There is SOMETHING about a game going out to the public, the company only has MAYBE a few hundred different computer setups testing the software but when it goes to the public it is THOUSANDS!!!

I bought my version of 'Future Soldier' online through Amazon.com, and downloaded it through Amazon. I have downloaded quite a few games through Amazon (6 or 8?) and have never had any real problems. Not with the original downloads anyway.

With this game 'Future Soldier' I was FRUSTRATED for a little while! After downloading it I tried running it BUT every time I would try to run the game I would have to do an UPDATE, not once but like 8 to 10 times!

AFTER each and EVERY update, then it would AGAIN say something like, "New Update Needed" - "Do you want to install it, Yes/No". You click on YES and then it would download the update but NOT install it! THEN I would have to TELL it to go ahead and INSTALL the update! This went on like 8-10 times (had to STAY and monitor the WHOLE process. It should have downloaded and installed "ALL" of the NECESSARY updates AFTER I clicked on "YES" the FIRST time! "Update - YES" (end of story, right - NO)

BUT there is no guarantee that the same thing would NOT happen with a boxed version! Right?.

PLUS I only paid $26 for the Deluxe Version, when the hard copy was going for $49.95, I saved $24.00. As I already mentioned don't forget 'Ghost Recon - Online' ( its FREE) and also a great game.

P.S. I could not run the game at all trying to run the 'LAUNCHER.exe' file but had to run the actual program itself "Future Soldier.exe" and then it would try to run but required I do the backups. After all of the backups were completed it has run FLAWLESSLY.

MORE on 'Future Soldier' GAME-PLAY: Single player is LONG, 12 missions that can last an hour or more each, depending on if your are just rushing through the game or if you are also trying to complete some of the "Mission Challenges". There are usually 3-5 challenges in each mission, which unlocks new items, new weapons, etc. Some challenges only show up on the highest level of 'Elite'.

Working as a four-man squad is awesome. I am a retired police officer but never made the SWAT Team because I was NOT politically correct enough, but I studied it a great deal, and have seen documentaries and read books about SWAT, Special Forces, Navy Seals, etc. They ALWAYS work in four man teams, which is exactly what you do in 'Future Soldier'. You come on to a scene and you can tell your three team mates to take out the other three targets, and you take out the forth target - "On MY GO command", so that you kill all four enemies simultaneously. You can actually go through almost every mission without EVER setting off the ALARM. Setting off an alarm will bring many more bad guys to kill you OR cause you to fail the mission where they REQUIRE you set off NO ALARMS. Even if it is OK to set off an alarm with LOTS of bad guys you will probably DIE ANY WAY, at first that is!

Its ALL about TEAM-WORK and strategy. So if you are a Run-and-Gun(er) you might NOT like 'Future Soldier' but I have seen many FIRST TIME reviewers of other games come away with a changed mind, YOU might too.

One thing, being a retired police, and hunter for many years, and an avid gun enthusiast I really like about this game it the selection of weapons available, AND the ability to TAKE them APART and customize the weapons. I have worked on and built many guns and this feature is VERY realistic. They call it 'Gunsmith'. Some of the weapons are based on the AR-15 and the AK-47 and AK-74! You can actually get an idea of how they come apart, and how they can be modified. I don't know the exact number of guns available, maybe 100 (will update this number later) but you can change the: optics, stock, magazines, type of ammo, barrel length, gas-piston (rate of fire), paint (camo, etc.), trigger type, side accessories (night vision, etc.), etc. So that you have literally thousands of different combinations! If you read any books about Special Forces most if not all carry CUSTOM weapons that fit their PERSONAL use, especially "Tier One" types, Seal Team Six, etc. It had to be a gun-nut - computer geek/programer to come up with this one.

Some of the Mission REQUIREMENTS, in some missions, were so hard I had to find a game "Walk-Throughs" to complete it because I kept DYING! So it may be difficult for those that like everything SIMPLE. Personally, it was MY CUP OF TEA.

Many reviewers are lambasting Ubisoft because of some of the BAD games, and problems with NEW games. I have not found ANY games CoD, BF2/3 without some problems when they first come out. ME, being an OLD GAMER, I wait for 3-6 months until the bugs are worked out AND the price comes down. I REFUSE TO PAY $60 for ANY GAME.

I think in SOME ways Ubisoft is doing a great job in producing GOOD games, where they seem to be failing the most is in the administration and customer service areas! But that is true for many other game companies as well. They produce a game, take it to market too soon, SELL A LOT of them, and then give minimum service after the release!!! They all have SOME service available but NOT enough for the need and demand out there today!

As for the 'DOWNLOAD Version' IF whoever is administering the the download versions did it correctly, they should INCLUDE most of the recent updates. This game came out in June of 2012, and based on the names of the updates (-----001, -----002, -----003, -----004, etc.) I would guess that I downloaded the 'ORIGINAL' release so that I had to download EVERY UPDATE since June!

Right now I have played through all three levels 'Recruit', 'Veteran' and 'Elite' (JUST finished Elite) and got some 30 plus, maybe 40 hours of Single Player game time, and still have not been able to complete ALL of the CHALLENGES! Some seem almost impossible. The last mission of the game (the twelfth) was HARD even at the "Recruit' level.

SO do yourself a favor and TRY IT. For $5 you can try mine. LOL, just joking, find someone who has a WORKING version IF you don't want to spend the money. However, right now you can get for $30 or less?

MAYBE TOO MUCH for many to read, SORRY but tried to review the game, as well as answer some Q's about reviewer problems.

SEE you on the Battlefield............
on July 14, 2014
good
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question