Top positive review
56 people found this helpful
on April 13, 2010
Great game, been playing the story since I got it. Half-way through. Some observations:
- Great sound, really moody, adds to the atmosphere, reacts to being detected, good for a cue. Great sound acting.
- Story is well written, engaging, Sam Fisher is the supreme badass.
- Very good graphics, despite the aging and ubiquitous Unreal engine. Very good level design. Lots of places to flank, cover, hide, and come up from behind.
- Lots of screen tearing, not too bothersome. Noticeable, though.
- Control system is awesome, you can pretty much take cover anywhere, even when not up against anything. Moving from cover spot to cover spot is slick, with arrows that point in the direction you're pointing and slick animations when you move. Controls rival/exceed my personal favorite, the Rainbow Six Vegas series.
- Shooting is crisp. Headshots kill, enemies sometimes require multiple shots in vitals (neck, torso) to die.
- Grenades and toys are fun and have good placement when thrown. Good explosions and sonic reverberation, especially with 5.1 surround.
- Good platforming. Sam moves smoothly, not like an idiot.
The new game mechanics are sweet and I'm hoping to see them in future games. I think they're all good. That would include:
- the projection of current goals (with cool lighting/shadow effects)
- the projection of backstory effects during cut-scenes (which are not really so cut, they flow with the gameplay well)
- last known position (i think i've seen this in a couple games, not sure) great for creating a diversion, then flanking.
- tag and kill executions. There is a strange bug where if a guy is tagged, he can be shot, even through solid objects.
Overall, the game is really fun and a step forward in the right direction. The flexibility of choosing your path to kill made me want to replay a couple levels multiple times to see how cleanly I could clear each room. It's possible to run and gun, but there's a good sense of satisfaction to a well-executed kill. Playing on normal mode right now and looking forward to playing on realistic mode. Guessing the story mode is somewhere between 5-7 hours. Supposedly the infiltration and deniable ops mode add quite a bit of gameplay to the package.