Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Clancy's Tavern
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 25, 2011
Prime Cuts: Clancy's Tavern, I Won't Let You Down, Just Another Sun Down

When Keith sings, "Don't expect too much and I won't let you down" don't believe him. On this his 15th album, Keith has up the ante again and has set himself a career high standard. After having no top 10 hits from his last disc "Bullets in the Gun" and with no gold albums since 2008's "That Don't Make Me a Bad Guy," Keith has wizened up and have packed this disc with his best music in years. Keith has teamed up with Eddy Raven, Scotty Emerick, Bobby Pinson to craft songs with less predictable storylines and more multi-dimensional characters. In fact, there are no wasted characters in his songs; every character help convey Keith's emotions in very believable capacity. Though this is still a Toby Keith album whereby our grig rocks with attitude but age has also caught up with him. A closer listen reveals that many of the songs ("South of You," "Clancey's Tavern" and "Just Another Sundown") deal sympathetically with loneliness and emptiness. And yet such emotions are conveyed with a seasoned wisdom that a novice has no way of even dreaming of doing.

It's easy to see why "Made in America" is the album's lead single and Keith's 20th Number 1 hit. This is an in your face sonic bull that charges at you with hoof beat drums and galloping guitar riffs where Keith sings: ""It breaks his heart seeing foreign cars / Filled with fuel that isn't ours / And wearing cotton we didn't grow."Though such jingoism might be what radio wants, it is just a lazy re-cycling of many of Keith's previous other patriotic tunes (such as "American Ride," "Courtesy of the Red, Blue and White" and "American Soldier"). Much better is the Cajun influenced "Tryin' to Fall in Love" where Keith chronicles (albeit with a witty wick) the challenges of finding true love. One can't help but smile at how much details are packed into this song that makes it so engagingly realistic. "Club Zydeco Moon" has to be awarded for the most original lyrics to a country song; this is a dark story of how a young man's visit to a brothel haunted him for the rest of his life. It's no surprise that such an intricate piece came from the pens of Keith and Eddy Raven. Raven also contributes in co-penning "South of You." Here Raven and Keith take the happy-go-lucky tropical beach song and turn it into a heartbreaking tune where the heartbroken protagonist wish he could be anywhere "south of you."

As for the title cut "Clancy's Tavern," it is named after Keith's grandmother's bar. On this gorgeous Irish folk waltz, Keith brings us into his grandma's tavern into a time machine back to the days he would play in the bar and observe all the people with their peculiar lives patronizing the pub. Keith meanders over a few other songs with this bar theme: "Just Another Sun Down" is your traditional cry in your beer ballad that is given a fresh coat of paint with Keith's earnest delivery. "I Need to Hear A Country Song" also from the same beer drinking vicinity takes on a rocking/blues drive with lots of irresistible hooks and shooting catch phrases. "Beers Ago" and "Red Solo Cup" are your silly rowdy ditties that you kind of have to expect from Keith.

Keith teams up with former band mate and fellow artist Scotty Emerick in creating "Chill-Axin.'" This is the best "decompressing" song in a while--its island breezy melody is infectious. While "I Won't Let You own" like Alan Jackson's "I'll Try" is realistically romantic without having the maudlin sheen. Though "Clancy's Tavern" has its obligatory numbers and a few silly odes, this is still one of Keith's best efforts in years. Unlike last year's "Bullets in the Gun" which has a rugged dark edge to it, this is contemplative, relaxing and in the moments when he charges, he does it well too.
on October 27, 2011
Clancy's Tavern is sure to be a favorite Toby Keith album. There is music for everybody -- from the patriotic "Made in America," which was a recent #1 song on the country charts, to the very old-country-bluesy sounding "I Need to Hear a Country Song," the rocking "Beers Ago," and some of those wonderful ballads Toby does so well - "Just Another Sundown" and "I Won't Let You Down". And then there's the song that has rocketed to video stardom on the internet -- "Red Solo Cup." Add to that, four songs from Toby's Incognito Bandito performances that appear on the Deluxe version of the CD, and you have almost an hour of music that will make you smile, cry, laugh and be nostalgic.
on November 14, 2011
Looking at the other reviews on this page, it's easy to see that Toby has delivered what the fans wanted. I must confess that some of his most recent outings have not reflected his best work, and some fans could be forgiven if they felt let down. But then along comes "Clancy's Tavern" & what a five star album this is! There is not one bad song here, although I must say that the backing music during the chorus's of "Made in America", tends to drown out Toby's voice, & could have been rendered better. Having said that though, Clancy's Tavern" is one of the best kick-ass country albums in years, and the title track just has to be an instant classic - one you can replay time & time again, just for the sheer pleasure of it. I could say good things about each track, but that would take up a lot of space here, & the bottom line is that they're all great. And doesn't this guy do justice to songs when he performs live? The four live tracks on the special edition are excellent, particularly his renditions of "Truck Drivin' Man" & old rocker, "Memphis". Please Toby, let's have more like this.
on October 26, 2011
Toby Keith is, in my opinion, one of the best artists out there; not just in country music but all music in general. He never disappoints with his songwriting and always writes straight from the heart. His songs are emotional, funny, and full of life lessons and experiences. Besides, there just aren't that many artists out there that can sing "Red Solo Cup" and make you laugh till you cry like Toby does. I like Toby's country sound AND his attitude sound (White Trash, Big Dog Daddy, Bullets in the Gun, Shock'n Y'all), and Clancy's Tavern brings back the country sound we remember from Honkytonk U and That Don't Make Me A Bad Guy, most recently.

Another addition to the deluxe edition that I love (and is definitely worth the few extra bucks) are the four Incognito Bandito songs at the end. I love the Bandito songs on Bullets in the Gun and the songs on Clancy's Tavern are even better.

I disagree that putting out an album every year is hurting the quality of Toby's music. I love every album he's released from the early days of Boomtown and Blue Moon to the present days of Bullets and American Ride. Great job Toby! Love the music!
on June 20, 2014
Every song on this album is great, plus if you buy the deluxe version you get Memphis and Shumbarlar the second song is spelled wrong but I didn't have the album handy. If you like Toby you will love this album.
on August 21, 2012
Toby Keith's new album, Clancy's Tavern is by far one of his best. There are a few songs on this collection that will go down in history as iconic. Songs like 'South of You', 'Chill-Axin', and 'Just Another Sundown' are totally out of the norm for what you'd expect from Keith, yet they're better than expected.

I love this CD and keep it in my truck at all times for those long drives

Pat Bonish
[...]
on January 4, 2013
Got this for my fiance after we went to a concert of his - I'm not the biggest Toby Keith fan, but I like a lot of his stuff. This (obviously) has "Red Solo Cup" on it, which alone makes it worth buying, but it also has a few other good songs on it as well. Worth buying if you're just being introduced to Toby's music.
on May 30, 2012
I love Toby! I love all of Toby! However some of his newer albums have thrilled me just a bit less than his earlier to mid-career albums. This new one feels a bit more like the Toby I fell in love with. I love the feel of the music - it feels a bit more personal and less "big theme" money album. Except for Red Solo Cup, which I do like but that's a party bus song and a signature of the man we love.
on January 1, 2012
As a huge Toby Keith fan, I could not wait to download this CD. I was not disappointed. Made in America and Red Solo Cup are two of the big hits on this CD. The title Track Clancy's Tavern is another hit that tells us about his Grandmother's Tavern. I think this is the second song TK did about the Tavern. The first one was called Honkytonk U and I love them both. Seems like it has been a while since TK put out a CD that was as solid as this one. He has had a few hit songs but his CDs were a little short of his normal standard. I think this one takes him back to where he belongs and it is a good addition to any collection.
on January 10, 2013
This has to be one of my favorite CD's of all time. I have listened to Toby Keith's music from every corner of the world. He always brings me comfort and takes me "home" no matter where I am. "Clancy's Tavern" and "Red Solo Cup" are two of my favorites.