Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

on June 21, 2010
This, to me, is one of the best that anime can offer to an American public. It has the right amount of humor, sentimentality, and honesty without leaving you with more than the other.

Tomoya Okazaki is a bitter, sarcastic, pranker in his senior year of high school, spending most of his time ridiculing his friend and fellow lethargist, Sunohara. However, it all seems to change when he meets Nagisa Furukawa, a kind-hearted, yet unsure, girl who wishes to revive the drama club.

The journey the two go through together with the friends they make along the way, is one you shouldn't miss.

The new English Dubb was rather well made and interesting. It followed almost step-by-step with the dialogue in the subtitles for the Japanese language.

The DVD casing came in pristine condition. Inside it, the disks (there are four of them) came stacked ontop of each other; They contiue to play well.

Again, I highly recommend this to anyone who's a fan of charcter-driven stories.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2010
This series is an excellent buy. If you're unsure of it but watch a bunch of anime then I'd say to give it a try at least. I wasn't sure when I first saw it but it quickly grew on me as one of my favorites. From making you roll around laughing to inducing tears, this series is full of all kinds of emotional twists. Upon first glimpse, I thought it was just another Anime involving high school students, but the more I watched, the more I realized how much of a masterpiece this was. Definitely check it out.

UPDATE: I just purchased the blu-ray Clannad Collection and as usual with this series, I'm very pleased. It has both English and Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 with this set. The audio listed on the product description with Amazon shows it as Japanese Audio and doesn't list English, but if you examine the screenshots of the back of the case, in the lower left hand part of it shows both English and Japanese. I will thoroughly enjoy watching this series again in the higher resolution and remain here hoping Sentai Filmworks re-releases After Story for blu-ray sometime soon.

Also, another thing about the blu-ray series is the case is much better than the one used for the DVD set. The blu-ray case has all 3 discs seperate instead of stacking each disc on one spindle. Much easier and safer for the disc with the blu-ray collection.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2011
Okay seriously people if you are considering purchasing the Blu-Ray copy of this wonderful anime... just do it already!

The box set comes in a nice consolidated case. All three disks have their own slot for minimum scratching.

The English dubbing in this show is top notch.
Music is absolutely breathtaking at times!

Beautiful art style with the greatest character development I have ever seen in an anime series!

Warning: Can make you a good way!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
I was looking through netflix one day looking for something to watch then I happened to stumble upon clannad. I have to admit I had my doubts about it at first since this type of genre isn't really my thing but I couldn't think of anything else to watch so I thought to myself "what the heck, i'll give out a shot." After watching the first episode it caught my interest so I kept on watching more. Soon I couldn't stop watching. I kept on thinking "there is no way one guy who has done nothing wrong can have so much bad luck." Before I knew it tears were actually starting to flow from my eyes, especially during after story. The story is amazing, the music is fantastic, and the characters are phenomenal. Like I said before, this genre doesn't really grasp my attention, but Clannad definitely deserves a spot in the top 5 anime series of all time.
on June 18, 2012
Okay for all of you who know key studios, you probably know that Key studio has a way of having bittersweet ending and isn't afraid to have a little more bitter than sweet. Clannad is a very up and down story with funny lead-ups to a depressing situation. The emotion that is communicated is only intensified by the fact that you become attatched to the characters as the story progresses. For the people who thought Clannad was good you probably want to watch Clannad Afterstory too, seeing as the first season was a very well thought out intro to the second season. All and all I think that Clannad is a masterpiece that any true anime fan would want in his/her collection.
on May 25, 2010
I see that some people are looking at this and wondering if it's a subbed or dubbed boxset. I'm pretty confident in it being a Dubbed series. It is a pre-order and if you go to this link: [...] you will see that the boxset is dubbed.

On to my Review of the anime. I LOVED Clannad. I've LOVED pretty much all of Kyoto Animation's Animes. But for me Clannad holds a very deep place in my heart.

Clannad has very rich background music. It always sets the right mood for whats being displayed on the tv screen. Many moments will make you laugh. And just as many moments will make you cry. You'll Fall in love with the Girls.

Clannad also has a good re-watch Value. Though you may not learn anything new, I find myself re-watching the series many times a year.

The Dubbed version of the show is not hard to get used to. Though if you are fans of the Japanese version some voice acting and name pronunciation will bother you. Specifically the Voice acting of Youhei Sunohara and Kyou Fujibiyashi. To me their voice actors don't seem to fit their personalities.

So my recommendation is to buy this box-set. It will have both the subbed and dubbed versions of the show so it's a win/win situation for any fan.
on May 7, 2011
After watching a few episodes of this on youtube, i decided it would definitely be worth buying. The storyline is incredible and you easily become attached to the characters. Speaking of the characters, all of them have excellent personalities, some funny, some serious, but all entertaining.

The drama and comedy in this series is balanced very well, and the emotional ride it sends you on is great. One minute you could be seriously down from one thing that just happened, maybe even crying, and the next it can change almost instantly to laughing. This series is just that good.

The only problem i have with this series, is not with the series itself, but with the casing. Make sure you take great care taking the discs out, there's a high potential of them breaking due to the poor design of the case. Basically it's a spindle in the middle with the four discs stacked on top of each other. The spindle does NOT push down, which makes this already difficult task even worse. Be super careful when removing the discs if you want to keep them in one piece. Mine, once i got them out, were put into slipcases that i placed inside the case (after cutting the spindle out).

Anyways, besides the casing issue, this series is incredible and if you're looking for one, if not THE greatest anime of all time, be sure to pick this one up!
on June 18, 2010
Clannad illustrates life of Tomoya Okazaki, the protagonist. He is initially illustrated to be delinquent who is finding no joy to his everyday life, until he meets girl at the slope just before the main entrance of school that he attends.
Based on the game of same title, just as what I would expect after watching some of Kyoto Animation's conversion of game (such as Kanon which I also recommend) to anime, this is beautifully executed as well.

Story mostly revolves around different characters including Fuuko, the girl carving starfish sculpture for everyone in school, hoping to invite everyone to wedding of her older sister, and Kotomi a mysterious genius who Tomoya meets in the library, while centering storyline of Nagisa. (In the original game, story progressions with each character are considered to be parallel world, so the anime version has quite a bit of structural change to its overall storyline. For two other main characters Kyo and Tomoyo, they were deemed too difficult to integrated into main story line, therefore Tomoyo's parallel world was included as its own episode, which is in this DVD set, and Kyo's story is included in an episode in After Story.)

The show illustrates overall theme of the show "family" very well and 24 episodes will offer you plenty of laughs, and weeps.

While I have originally watched through this on Netflix (dub), I'm making another round of it in original Japanese track now. (Both tracks are excellent.)
Some music tracks are from original show, and some of them are arranged version of them, and they are all great.

I can say, without any doubt, that this is the show I would recommend for everyone of any age.
on June 19, 2010
This is one of the best and most emotionally anime I have ever seen in my entire life, it bring tears to my eyes. Just think of something happy in your life and be like "this is the happiest moment in my life" now think about how it would feel if all of your happiness just got taken away leaving an enormous hole in your heart... Doesn't feel any good huh? well its not all that sad, it has its funny moments throughout the series, and the artwork is beautiful same goes for the story and i love the Big Dango Family song. If you havent watched this and don't have it well what the hell are you waiting for!? Get this Collection right now so u can become one of those people who just realized that he/she has feelings.
on April 24, 2010
There were some complaints about the initial Clanand sets because they were subtitled only. Some anime fans refuse to admit that the market is now in a much different place than it was a few years ago. However, despite that, the series went on to sell extremely well for an anime release, subbed or dubbed. Now Sentai Filmworks has gone back and created a dub with Seraphim Digital Studios (formerly ADV Studios/Amusement Park Media).

The dub is currently airing on the Anime Network, and I have to say that it's great so far, and only getting better. It did take some getting use to different voices coming out of the characters, but you quickly get over it. There was a slight pronunciation snafu with Nagisa, but I'm willing to forgive that considering it's been quite a while since ADV/Sentai have dubbed a show.

It's great to see Clannad getting a dub, and even greater to see ADV/Sentai dubbing their own shows again! I can't wait to see what the future brings!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse