Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on December 16, 2005
I always wanted to have a Dominican cookbook in English, none were to be found. If you are proficient in Spanish you were lucky, but if your Spanish had got rusty after arriving in the States at an early age (like my eldest child), or your children couldn't follow simple directions in Spanish - let alone follow a recipe - (like my younger ones) well, sorry, no cookbook for you!

And then, I came across this book. I have bad and good things to say about this book. Luckily mostly good or I would be US$49.99-short and a disappointed customer.

The good news: The book is absolutely faithful to Dominican cookery. No made-up recipes like many other "Caribbean" cookbooks that promised authentic recipes and delivered none. The recipes are also very simple and don't call for fancy ingredients. The dishes that I have prepared taste exactly like the ones my "mami" prepared. Every recipe has a picture! That was the selling point for me. What point is there in a cookbook that doesn't show you how the dishes are supposed to look at the end? The pictures are fantastic. The book is filled with much more than just recipes and is seasoned with good humor, you can actually enjoy reading it.

My complaints: How comes they had enough money to fill the book with photos but couldn't make it a hardback? This is the kind of book destined to become a family heirloom, it should be a hardback. I hope they make a hardback edition in the future. And second, although the authors give each recipe in its original Spanish name and also in English, I don't agree on how they translated some of the names (perhaps they did it into British English?). But the last one is a minor nitpick really.
on December 27, 2005
I love Dominican comida (food). Whilst I can prepare a few dishes, my husband does most of the cooking. Every traditional Dominican recipe I can think of, I have found in this book. In my opinion, the authors couldn't have done a better job. The photos are beautiful, and throughout the book, there a wonderful stories for the reader's enjoyment. A traditional Dominican cookbook made in English has been long-awaited. I plan to pass one down as a treasured family heirloom to each of my children.

Thanks for a wonderful idea that has finally come to fruition.
on June 24, 2010
The first day I got the book I cooked from it. They have amazing recipes. Everything I have cooked from that book has come out perfect. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow.
on December 2, 2007
When I saw the price of this book I figured I would get a nice hardback with tons of wonderful recipes...instead I received a cheaply printed paperback with no "wow" recipes in it. In fact, there are some recipes that call for certain ingredients which aren't even mentioned in the directions! I would suggest getting the other Dominican cookbook which is half the price and offers the same recipes, this one is not worth the money.
on September 10, 2015
Every recipe I tried has turned out well. With time, you can add your own touch to those, A bit embarrassing I am Dominican and needed to buy a book to learn how to cook authentic Dominican cooking. It is what it is.
on June 24, 2008
I've only had the cookbook for about a week, but I have tried a few of the recipes and read through a few more. Overall, I really like it, even if it is a little pricey. The pictures and layout are great, and the recipes look really enticing.
My only complaint is that I wish the directions were a little more clear; sometimes they are downright ambiguous. This is probably fine for someone who is more familiar with the food, especially if they have seen it prepared before, but for a gringo like me, I am often left questioning what I am supposed to do.
One examples is the recipe for Pera Pina doesn't ever say how much water you are supposed to use, and although sugar is called for in the directions, it isn't listed in the ingredient list. Like I said, if you have made or have seen Pera Pina made before, this wouldn't phase you, but for someone like me, it made it hard to figure out what I was doing.
I think the cookbook could benefit greatly from another editing and a run through in a test kitchen by cooks unfamiliar with Dominican cooking.
on March 28, 2009
I too would have liked to see a hardback version of the book for the price. I like how the book has pictures of every dish. I'm just happy to see more cookbooks in english--and in measurements that are easy to follow.
on December 20, 2012
Recipes inconsistent with their website, which would be fine, if they worked. Completely different time/temperatures that lead to the food not being cooked anywhere near what it should be. The amount of ingredients are also different, but not proportionally so, leading to a completely different product than what you expect. Stay away from the cookbook, and just use their free website, because you'll actually get decent food instead of wasting your money.
on March 18, 2013
If you are between this book and "Traditional Dom Cookery" Both written by the same author. buy this one because both have the same exact recipes. Except This book is bigger and has color pages. "Traditional Dom Cookery" looks like a pamphlet, no pictures and very flimsy.

Recipes look great. Can't wait to start making them.
on January 8, 2014
I was extremely excited with this purchase and the opportunity to cook traditional Dominican dishes. The recipes seem a bit incomplete so I used their website in combination with the book for clarity. So far I've prepared two dishes and they were great!