5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious funk-rock. Don't miss this one!
I'm not big into rock, but I love "quality anything". When I first heard "bullet and a target" from his debut CD, I stopped everything I was doing, took down his name, and did some investigating.

Published on March 8, 2005 by Christian Hunter

1.0 out of 5 stars Cope Hates Ya
There's a lot to love about this CD: it has an oddly upbeat, gritty and authentic sound. When I heard "son's gonna rise" on the radio, I thought to myself, yo - this guy is the real deal, not some fake product of the musical-industrial complex intended to squeeze the bucks out of the unsuspecting fans, returning them nothing. Ironically, it was this authenticity and...
Published on September 23, 2004 by Miles E. Keogh

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious funk-rock. Don't miss this one!, March 8, 2005
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)

I bought his first and second CD's, which are fantastic both, but The Clarence Greenwood Recordings are, in my opinion, superior. By his own admission, this CD was one that he was much more "himself" on. You can tell too. There's and interesting dichotomy in his music; it's passionate, but seemingly disinterested. Almost like someone snuck up on him with a recorder while he was playing for himself. I don't know if that makes sense, but for me, that non-deliberate aura marks a refreshing change in modern over-produced music.

The entire CD is fantastic, but Sideways, Son's Gonna Rise, and Hurricane Waters are my absolute favorite. I've probably listened to HW over 200 times...MUST STOP!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Christian Hunter

Santa Barbara, California

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing entirely "new", but a masterpiece in itself!, October 28, 2004
MicheleLK "Michele" (Lower Fairfield County - United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
When I popped this thing into my computer (Mine does play in the computer, don't know why since I've read a few complaints about that...), I just intended to play it as background music. See, I'm part of a website for listeners that gives away free CDs in exchange for an honest opinion of them. Not all of the CDs have been great and I wasn't expecting this one to be!

Anyways, it did take a few plays for it to "hit" me. I initially started repeating the even # songs - 2, 4, 6... Even though #2 is really silly lyrically (it's cool at first until you hear the last line), I think it's powerful.

This CD isn't an entirely "new" sound. I don't know why everyone expects CDs to be so unique, I definitely think there's a bit of mastery involved before you can move on. He's definitely mastered his style. It's moving, honest. (And oddly enough, I love how he sometimes sounds like he's singing with a mouthful of marbles.)

I'm giving it 4 stars because the CD is good enough to share with friends, without having to worry about hearing it on ClearChannel stations 90 times a day! I can't wait to hear him live.

If you like my review, please vote for it! If you want details on the Free CD site (I'm all about sharing) or have other questions about this album, AIM ME ~WinterGetsMe~ Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the album, you'll love the concert!, March 24, 2005
Sun Rizing (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
I'm very fortunate to live in the NYC - Philly - D.C. corridor, and therefore Citizen Cope's music is played extensively on the alternative music stations, such as the University of Pennsylvania's WXPN and other area radio stations.

When I first heard Citizen Cope's music, I was immediately aware that I was listening to something different: this was someone with that "certain something" that sets him apart from the rest of the crowd. Citizen Cope, also known as Clarence Greenwood, has something to say, and he says it with a unique and compelling style. His gritty persona is real, to which I can attest after seeing him live in Baltimore last Saturday night.

Clarence has very devoted fans who know his song lyrics by heart, and sang along with him almost the entire concert, so much so that at a few points during the concert, he could actually take a break from singing! And talk about energy, everyone was moving along with the flow of the music and dancing all night long.

I have seen many great bands and artists over many years' time. Most of us seem to know when we are in the presence of a great talent when we see one, and Clarence is no exception. I can honestly say that this guy reminds me of a young Bob Dylan, but with a much better voice. His band was very talented as well - a very diverse and tight ensemble of rock/blues/R&B style musicians.

I feel fortunate to have seen Clarence live at such an early stage of his career, and I was only five rows of people away from the stage (yes, it was standing room only in that packed concert hall). This will change in time, as he becomes better well-known...I'll never be that close again.

Not only do I recommend this album to everyone reading this review, I also urge you to see Citizen Cope live. Just as we in the crowd were caught up in the emotionally compelling energy of this truly talented artist, so will you enjoy the feeling of experiencing one of the most enjoyable bands you will ever see.

Do yourself a favor and buy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2004, October 2, 2004
Shana (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
Set aside copyright or CD issues. This is not the artists choice, this is a bigger problem with the whole record industry, and has nothing to do with a "review" about the music. I get the feeling some people have not actually taken the time and listened to this entire album before deciding to write some type of disgruntled review, which is ridiculous. This is one of those rare albums that each and every single song on there is absolutely amazing. The kind of CD you put in car and enjoy the ride, because each song makes you move and sing along. The kind of album you put in when friends are over and while they are moving to the beat they ask who it is because its like nothing they've heard before, but love it. I love music of all genres, from rock to hip hop to country, and this just hits on every mark. This is a brilliant album, and a brilliant artist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive funk-rock, November 4, 2004
B. Niedt (Cherry Hill, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
Citizen Cope first grabbed my ear in the duet of "Sideways" with Carlos Santana on the latter's "Shaman" album a couple of years ago. It was the highlight of an otherwise so-so recording. That song is reprised here (sans Santana), along with ten other tunes. Citizen Cope sounds like a chilled-down version of Jamiroquai's Jay Kay, yet his sound is one of the most unique and recognizable I've heard all year. With a spare, loping jazz-rock framework and an almost hip-hop backbeat, Cope presents his songs with a certain laconic energy (oxymoron, I know), and a marble-mouthed delivery that somehow seems to work. "Bullet and a Target" is the most arresting song in this collection, with its theme of world and domestic violence. But there are several other choice cuts too, such as "Nite Becomes Day", "Pablo Picasso" and "Son's Gonna Rise". This is effective, affecting, socially conscious rock with a healthy dash of funk, and one of the best releases of the year.

P.S.: I have read the complaints of other reviewers about the copy-protection technology on this CD, and it is a legitimate concern. If the big FBI warning label doesn't put you off, you may encounter problems with playing this CD, or copying any part of it for personal use. (I tried to burn just one track for a personal-use compilation disc, and the result was a very garbled, even "scrambled" playback that rendered it unlistenable.) But it's a bargain-priced CD and worth purchasing anyway - don't let the warnings scare you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolvis, June 13, 2005
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
One day my husband and I were watching TV and a car commercial appeared. We immediately wanted to know who was singing. We started researching on the net to find out who was singing on that commercial. It wasn't easy, but we finally found out it was Clarence Greenwood. I immediately ordered his CD from amazon.com. As soon as it arrived, I opened it and put it in my car CD player. It was better than I expected! His voice is fantastic and his music is awesome. I can already sing along with my favorites: A Bullet and a Target, Sideways, Fade Away, etc. His poetry is very meaningful.I look forward to hearing more from this individual.

4.0 out of 5 stars You might not like it, but it's NOT "crap.", September 29, 2004
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
If you're going to review something, at least be honest. This CD is not "crap." It's fairly well produced and recorded, it has musical integrity (musicians are in tune, in time, and it's very accessible to the average listener). A review should help a potential buyer figure out if they're going to like it or not. I would also add that a review of an artist's live performances is different from a review of their recordings. Some amazing recording artists put on pretty lousy live shows (and vice versa). Lastly, Citizen Cope never claimed to sound like Robert Randolph, and artists often don't have a say in who opens for them. People are free to say and think whatever they want, but I just wanted to add some counterpoints in here. So, on with it...

In describing this disc to people I've been saying, "kind of a funkier, soulful version of Jack Johnson." I don't much care for Jack's music, as I find it a bit repetitive and lacking depth (but it's not "crap"). What I like about Citizen Cope (Clarence Greenwood) is that he brings A LOT of soul and depth to his music. He is a true songwriter, in that he crafts his songs consciously, using both inspiration and musical knowledge. Some of his songs are autobiographical, some have political themes (though not hard-hitting), and some are fictitious stories that he's telling.

If you have an eclectic taste in music, spanning folk, rock, soul and jazz, then you will likely enjoy this. If you like more popular groups like Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, Counting Crows, Sheryl Crow, but have an open mind and are looking for something new, I would suggest giving this a listen. I'm not saying he sounds like any of these groups, but that if you're into them then you might be interested in Clarence.

What I personally like about this disc is that I get a very clear sense that he's doing his own thing, and it works. He wrote all the songs and plays many of the instruments, he also has past experience as a producer and produced most of this album, so you it's very much a "what you see is what you get" experience. He's not trying to sell you anything, he's just telling his stories and hopes that you like them. No smoke and mirrors, just honest music. It's a nice blending of folk, rock, funk, soul and even a tiny bit of jazz.

I also think it's very cool that he used to be a hip-hop DJ, most notably for Basehead. This album (and his previous album) shows that he seeks to keep growing as an artist and find new ways to express himself. Give the track samples a listen here at CDnow and judge for yourself.

P.S. I have had zero problems playing the disc in my computer (with the lame "copyright protection" software; get on Google and it won't take you long to figure out how lame this stuff is) or in my mp3 capable car stereo (Aiwa).

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive..., February 25, 2006
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
I heard CC in a video for Son's Gonna Rise playing at an AEO store. I immediately stopped shopping and was just transfixed to the flat panel screen in the back of the store...not necessarily for the video(cos I don't even remember it), but for the MUSIC! It was bluesy and beautiful and made me want to move!

I just bought the cd and haven't taken it out of my cd player yet, so I would say it is definitely addictive! The songs are pretty low key, but really groove. I dig the lyrics and Clarence's voice. It is very laid back. It is part blues, part rock, part hip-hop and maybe even a bit of Reggae(sp?)...like another reviewer mentioned--even though it is pretty laid back music, it sounds good cranked up in the car or on the stereo!

All songs stood out to me in their own way...it is THAT good.

HIGHLY recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Major soul, June 30, 2005
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
I played this at a party that wasn't jumping, and suddenly everyone was up and dancing. I defy you to sit still while you listen to the first track, and you may play it over and over so much that it couldt take a while to get to the second one. But they're almost all good. This is a nearly perfect album, and totally addictive. BUT, as the other reviewers have attested, the CD is write-protected, uncopyable, and therefore was not transferable to my iPod--it came out garbled. So if your intention is to play it on a CD player, buy a CD (however, as noted below it may not play on all CD players)--otherwise, download it. If you want to use it both ways, you're screwed. It's too bad the record company has done this disservice to a great artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can You Cope With Clarence?, September 15, 2004
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
I first learned of Citizen Cope while attending a show at the House of Blues in Anaheim just weeks after the 9/11 attacks in September of 2001. He and his bandmates were opening for the band Live. Once his fingers started strumming his six string I was immediately immersed in the sound. That night he covered Bob Marley's "Natural Mystic" and it never sounded so beautiful. His debut 'self-titled' album hadn't been released, but he personally handed out demo CD's to the audience after the show. I found his website and continuously checked up on when he would be releasing his full CD. I purchased that album on it's release date, and yesterday I purchased his newest album,"The Clarence Greenwood Recordings", on it's release date. Consistent with his debut album, there is NOT one bad song on the album. So far, my favorite song would have to be "D'Artagnan's Theme", primarily for it's emotion and beautifully constructed melodies. I'm also very partial to "Sideways", a song that had been previously released on Santanta's latest album. Although this version is stripped of Carlos himself, it is still an amazing song. Right when I purchased the album I threw it on in my car and found myself playing the air drums and closing my eyes out of pure enjoyment (I don't recommend closing your eyes while driving..it's not a good idea). This album is fresh and combines elements of Reggae, blues and trip-hop. It comes highly recommended by myself and if you purchase this album, you won't be disappointed.

The Clarence Greenwood Recordings
The Clarence Greenwood Recordings by Citizen Cope (Audio CD - 2004)