Manufacturer's Review (December 26, 2008)
Combining personal GPS navigation and real-time Points of Interest (POI) with Internet based entertainment and full web browsing, the easily portable and pocketable Clarion MiND Mobile Internet Navigation Device provides rich GPS navigation with full PC-like Internet browsing capabilities thanks to its 4.8-inch, 800 x 480-pixel touchscreen. You can connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi at home, in the office or via hotspots out and about in the city. The ClarionMiND also allows for Internet connectivity via Bluetooth when paired with a mobile phone.
The Clarion MiND in red.
This next-generation mobile device uses the power of Intel's Atom processor, and it also features a 4 GB internal memory, MicroSD memory card slot for expansion, built-in speaker and headphone jack, USB connectivity, and a rechargeable battery that provides up to 1.3 hours of continuous use. It's pre-installed with complete mapping and points of interest (POI) coverage for the U.S. and Canada from Navteq and you can easily use Google Maps for additional searching.
It comes with both DC (in-car) and AC (in-home) power adapters as well as a windshield/dash mount kit. Additionally, with the optional car docking station (model NK1U), you can receive real-time traffic info via the Traffic Message Channel (RDS-TMC) and route navigation audio and music files through your vehicle's audio system.
A full-fledged navigation system that guides you accurately to your destination, the Clarion MiND offers ease of operation along with a brightly colorful touchscreen display as well as a unique combination of Internet access and navigation. In addition to pre-installed POIs, you can use information supplied by Google Maps to check out information about a place you've been wanting to go. You can then obtain your destination’s information using Send button on Google Maps, and then transfer that information to your ClarionMiND and navigate directly to its location.
The Clarion MiND provides smooth movement and automatic zoom during route guidance, as well as lane guidance, display of speed limits, and text-to-speech voice guidance (in English, Spanish and French). Other features include 2 million POIs listed in 59 categories, fast route and re-route calculations, flexible routing options for type of transportation (car/pedestrian/bike/motorcycle) and type of route (short/quick/economical), both 2D and 3D map views, and house number resolution for door-to-door navigation.
The next turn direction and distance to the turn are displayed on the top left section of the screen. When you approach an intersection, the top of the screen shows the direction and the voice guidance gives you instructions.
The Car Mode's split screen.
The Mobile Mode's slide view (top) and carousel view (bottom).
The Clarion MiND's web browser.
The MySpace browser.
As a portable device, the Clarion MiND allows you to use it in the home or office, or when you are out and about. In your car, the navigation mode starts as soon as the unit is placed in the standard cradle or the optional Car Dock. The touchscreen makes operation easy, and you can use the split screen display to see and operate both the map and a quick information screen that shows other applications available while in the Car Mode. The optional Car Dock also provides a lifetime RDS-TMC subscription to help you navigate around traffic and save gas.
In Mobile Mode, the Clarion MiND acts like a portable media player (PMP) with graphical icons providing access to all the device's multimedia and Internet capabilities. The icon layout can be switched between a Slide View and Carousel View, which can be arranged to your liking based on what you use most .
Stay Connected and Entertained On The Go
When connected to the Web using a Wi-Fi network or using a Bluetooth link to your mobile phone's cellular network, you can use the MySpace icon to go directly to this popular social networking website with over 100 million members. The easy-to-operate MySpace browser has enhanced viewer functions to make MySpace even more fun to use than with a PC. What's more, you can receive e-mail from friends or display blog update messages in either Car Mode or Mobile Mode, so staying connected with friends is easier than ever.
The YouTube icon on the Home Screen gives you one-touch access to one of the world's most popular video community--no need to activate the web browser. The easy to view and operate YouTube viewer displays thumbnails so you can use buttons like Featured, Most Viewed, Related and Most Discussed videos, to quickly view the videos you want to see.
Using the Firefox-based browser, you can navigate the Web the same way you do on your PC. Find where you want to go, such as restaurants, concert venues and shops by checking the information on the Internet.
Check the latest weather conditions with information from The Weather Channel. One day’s weather information for a designated area is displayed in the Quick Information Area of the home screen, and activating the weather application will display meteorological information for 5 days. The latest news is displayed in the Quick Information Area of the home screen and updated every 60 minutes from both BBC and CNN.
Enjoy your favorite music, movies and photos on the Clarion MiND with the pre-installed RealPlayer software, which will play multimedia files stored on either the Clarion MiND's internal 4 GB memory or on optional MicroSD memory cards. It's compatible with a wide range of file formats (audio - mp3, mp4, mpg, mpeg, rm, ra, rv, rmvb, aac, ac3, ogg, wav, wma; video - wmv, 3gp, divx; photos - jpg, jpeg, png, gif, bmp). To listen to music, tapping the playback files for category lists like Now Playing, Artist and Album brings up the playback screen and displays artist names and album and song titles. You can select random or repeat for playback, or even use other applications while playing music.
The ClarionMiND also comes with e-mail software compatible with all the major mail protocols, including POP3 and SMTP. Input is easy using the on-screen keyboard. You can register multiple e-mail accounts, enabling you to send and receive emails separately as required for personal or business use.
- Software Keyboard: Tap the fields for mail or keyboard search and a soft keyboard will appear on the display. Large and easy to use, the keyboard allows you to input navigation destinations and search words.
- Quick Information Keys: A Quick Information Area is displayed in miniature at the bottom of the home screen. By tapping the four key icons at the edges of the area--News key, Weather key, MySpace key, and Portal Sync key--you can display information from each in real time on the home screen.
- Touch Panel Control: Using a stylus pen or your finger to tap or drag objects displayed on the screen makes operation easy.
- Contacts: Registering your address, phone number, and e-mail address in your address book enables you to smoothly link functions by activating Navigation from the Contacts screen, inputting the settings for your destination, and sending e-mail.
- PDF Viewer: PDF file viewing capability. PDF files can be opened in the File Manager or the Browser. You can use touch operation to change the display location by dragging it across the screen. Long-pressing the screen gives you the full-screen display.
- File Manager: ClarionMiND provides file management, allowing you to search for, move, copy, delete, or change the names of files in the directory file within the ClarionMiND folder. In addition to ClarionMiND file management, connecting to a USB / micro SD device automatically activates File Manager, which makes it possible to manage files saved to USB / micro SD devices, such as USB memory cards and micro SD cards. Use this to manage documents and PDF files, as well as music, videos and photos that can be reproduced using RealPlayer.
- Note Pad: You can create simple documents using Note Pad. In addition to creating and editing sentences, you can use the text editor for search and replace, selecting fonts, and setting the Word Wrap and Auto Indent functions.
- Connection: You can connect to the Internet via WiFi or via dialup connection using a Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone with an Internet subscription.
- 4.8 inch WVGA (800 x 480 pixels) LCD Display with touch screen
- Intel Atom Architecture (800 MHz)
- 512MB DRAM
- 4 GB solid state drive (SSD) flash memory
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
- Bluetooth 2.0+EDR with DUN (Dial-up Network) profile
- SiRFstarIII GPS module with 20-channel GPS receiver
- Li-Ion battery (Small Battery: 2 hours, Optional Large Battery: 4 hours)
- Built-In amplifier and speaker
- 3.5mm external headphone connector
- 2 USB ports (standard/mini)
- microSD card slot
- Docking Station (NK1*1) connector
- RDS-TMC Traffic Ready (lifetime subscription; optional car dock required)
What's in the Box
Clarion Mind navigation device, stylus pen, AC adapter, plug converter, car adapter, battery pack, support arm, attachment, suction plate, quick start guide