Top positive review
6 people found this helpful
Large screen is great
on December 17, 2010
The two main features I use in the car work great: the radio and the AUX in line (for streaming Pandora from my phone). I haven't had a chance to try out the USB input yet, but I did try the DVD functionality and it works great too, although it does require the use of the remote for navigation. Here are my thoughts so far:
* Great sound
* Easy changing of audio settings
* Nice large display for displaying radio settings while playing the radio
* DIM function cycles through three settings great for day, night, and off
* Installation instructions were easy enough for me to follow
* Detailed instruction on how to connect hand brake wire (although the kit doesn't appear to include the right sensor)
* Lots of audio options: AUX in and DVD worked without any problems
* UPDATE: USB music plays fast with little delay
* UPDATE: USB music picks up right where it left off when you turn power on
* Lots of wires which make for a difficult installation into a standard stereo space
* DVD control requires use of the remote
* Display does nothing when in AUX mode (a screensaver or something would have been nice, not sure if that's legal though)
* UPDATE: Turning on power button in the dark is a guess game
* UPDATE: Navigation of USB music using remote is not intuitive (i.e. I have to read the manual)
* UPDATE: Received a USB Bad after leaving stereo off overnight
The installation for me went pretty smoothly. As mentioned above, the plethera of wires made sliding the stereo into place a pain. In order to get it to work, I had to pull out the DIN below the stereo and guide the wires down into the space below. Overall, I thought the installation instructions were good. They had the three most important items which are a step to remind you to disconnect the negative from the car battery, a diagram of the overall way the stereo is installed into a dash, and a wiring diagram. With those three I was able to do a standard installation (i.e. four speakers and the radio antenna) without any issues. By the way, this stereo was the first stereo I've ever installed.
By the way, another reviewer mentioned the audio would stop when they went into the settings. That may be true for USB audio or CD/DVD playback, but for radio and AUX in, the audio kept playing no matter what I did unless I hit the power button to mute.
UPDATE: USB functionality works great. You plug in a drive and it starts at the first song it finds. When you turn the power off and back on, it picks right up at the last part of the song you were listening to when powering off the stereo. I did receive a USB Bad error when turning the car on this morning, unplugging and replugging the USB in fixed the issue and it picked up at the last song it was playing. I haven't figured out all the details on navigating through the songs just yet, but with the remote it looks like you can search via artist, album, song title, etc. As the driver though, I'm expecting I won't be able to do much better than using the forward and reverse buttons (and the preview seek button) to navigate the music. Because of that, I grabbed some old 512 MB and 1 GB drives which I'm putting together different "mixes" that I can update at will and plug in as my mood changes.