Published on August 20, 2009 by S. Hamon

3.0 out of 5 stars Really want to love it, but....
Published on March 28, 2012 by RozMuh76

4.0 out of 5 stars RediTabs cut in 1/2 OK for youngsters...cheaper than buying children's Claritin & it's in the RediTab formula!!, August 20, 2009
If you are reading the reviews on Claritin, you probably already know it is a wonderful allergy medication, so my review isn't really on the Claritin itself. My son, who is 4, suffers from seasonal allergies. The children's Claritin works great for him, but it is so expensive that I went to our family pediatrician in search of a cheaper method. His pediatrician informed me that the childrens Claritin contains 5mg of the active ingredient, and the adult RediTabs contains 10mg...thus cutting the RediTab in half results in the same dosage as the childrens. This has been a wonderful help in paying for my son's Claritin because an adult box of 30 RediTabs lasts him 60 days for the same price as a childrens box of 20 chewable tablets. Now, I am no doctor and am only relaying to you what my childs pediatrician said was OK to do. :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Really want to love it, but...., March 28, 2012
RozMuh76 (South Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claritin Children's (5mg) Grape, 20-Count Chewable Tablets (Health and Beauty)
My 4 year old daughter suffers from allergies that cause her to itch and go into coughing fits. This gets worse when she is in bed for the night. Usually I would give her the dye free liquid Children's Zyrtec, which works very well for us. I'm open to change, so this evening, instead of the Zyrtec, I gave her one of the Claritin about 20 minutes prior to tucking her in. When I gave it to her she said "Mmmm, mmmm, this tastes better than my vitamins!" Since then I heard her cough once and then nothing else. For her that is a big deal. The Zyrtec usually doesn't work that quickly and she has to deal with about 30 minutes worth of coughing before it kicks in. I can't speak to how long it works since it's only been a few hours, but so far it is working great.

There are a few concerns I have about the Claritin for children. First of all, I try to give my children medicines that are as close to natural as possible. At the very least, I would like them to be dye free and not have any useless yet harmful additives. The inactive ingredients on the Children's Claritin chewable tablets read: aspartame, citric acid anhydrous, colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C red No. 27 aluminum lake, FD& C blue No. 2 aluminum lake, flavor, magnesium stearate, mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate, steric acid. You do the research on some of these if it's important to you. Second of all, the price is pretty high for these tablets. Personally, I feel for the price of these they could have added some much better ingredients. I wouldn't mind paying more for better quality. The price of these are close to what you would pay for something herbal in a health food store. I wouldn't pay the going price for these with these ingredients. Honestly, even if they were cheaper I wouldn't buy them with these ingredients. I feel it is 100% unnecessary to add artificial colors to anything that will be taken internally, especially aluminum based dyes.

I will continue with this box of 10 tablets and will report on how they work, however I will not purchase these in the future unless they make some without all the unnecessary stuff. This of course is a personal choice and has nothing to do with the way the product works, as it seems to work well thus far. I received this product for free as a member of BzzAgent.com in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey But Tastier Than Generics We've Tested, June 4, 2010
I have allergies, and so do my two children. A boy and girl they are allergic to the usual culprits: dust, mold, outdoor pollens. When they were very little we used the Claritin liquid [Claritin Children's Liquid 4 fl oz (120 ml)] and it worked well enough. And now that they are older we switched over the chewables.

Like the liquid, the Claritin chewables work fairly well. (It's always difficult to assess these types of things when there are children involved, pollen levels vary, and it's not your nose dripping.) Most importantly, they like the taste so there wasn't a struggle to get them to take them every day.

I mention the taste because we've tried the generics. And while they certainly see to work as well as Claritin-- and at a lower price point-- I have to tell you that there was a problem with the taste. The children wouldn't refuse to eat them, but they certainly whined about it, to the extent that they convinced me that they needed something to take away the aftertaste.

THE SKINNY:::
Best taste of the chewables we've tried. In fact, if you have very small children, I would double-warn you to keep these 'candy-like medicines' well out of their reach.

All said and done, we don't use Claritin anymore, but have switched to Zyrtec [Zyrtec Children's Chewable Tablets]. In short only because of the affordability of this second product. See my review if you care to hear more. Otherwise, Claritin is a fine product. Just expensive if everyone in the family is taking it.

Pam T~

4.0 out of 5 stars Passed the picky kid test but expensive, October 14, 2010
My daughter is picky even about sweets, she is apt to spit anything into the trash and has spit the liquid benedryl back out numerous times. Trust me, if she likes these they have done something right. And no noticable side effects. But they are nearly impossible to get out of the packaging. I also cut the 10 mg Reditabs in half with a pill splitter but they tend to fall apart and start to melt the more you handle them. The chewable will stay together if you have to follow your preoccupied kid around the house for a few minutes holding it :) I'll still use the Reditabs, too, though because they are cheaper and my husband can use them, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Children's Claritin works good with mosquito bite reactions, June 1, 2010
N. Sherman "nicoleelaina" (Johnsburg, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I recieved my first pack of Childrens Claritin from Bzz Agent and when I had my oldest son try it, he said he liked the flavor but that it did not seem to do much for him. I took that to mean it was soso until my younger son was bit several times one day by mosquitoes. The bites were bigger than golfballs and I was out of the oral benadryl that I usually give to him. So, I gave him the Childrens Claritin I had recieved as a sample from Bzz Agent. By the next morning the bites were tiny! I was very impressed and now think that perhaps my older son doesnt have an allergy issue at all and Claritin is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars effective allergy control, November 2, 2013
effective product for children. The price offered was better than anything I could get locally. Product is easily chewed by my child; she has no problem taking these tablets.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good product for the price, August 21, 2013
in walmart I pay 20 dollars a box for 20 tabs. My son takes these everyday and he loves them! they help with his allergies and also taste good. thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars For your allergy prone child, August 21, 2013
Claritin Children's (5mg) Grape, 20-Count Chewable Tablets
For your allergy prone child... best way to make it through allergy season

5.0 out of 5 stars allergies, August 15, 2013
I can't swallow pills so liquids, chewables, or melt-a-ways are best for me. I usually have the liquids, but these are also good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children's quality allergy product, July 26, 2013
My grandkids will only use this grape flavored allergy product and since they have allergy problems, I try to buy the larger size boxes whenever I get a good deal. Good size and price. Thank you.

Claritin Children's (5mg) Grape, 20-Count Chewable Tablets
$23.79 $15.40
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.