5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Clarity Professional C4220 Amplified Phone
I needed a telephone that can boost the caller's voice by at least 50 decibels (db). There are not many telephones that have that much amplification power, but the Clarity C4220 does (as well as a few other brands).

Published on October 20, 2008 by Fred

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good value
I bought this phone for my 87 year old dad who has high frequency hearing loss. I was able to adjust the sound profiles so that he could hear soft female voices as long as he took his hearing aid out. This is a big improvement for him. There is a bright red light that blinks when the phone rings. This might be helpful at night.
This is an expensive phone and there...
Published on September 26, 2010 by Alex Kistler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Clarity Professional C4220 Amplified Phone, October 20, 2008
Fred "mrdata22" (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)

' The Clarity telephones are unique in that they not only boost the sound level of the caller's voice, but also eliminate background noise and give you tone adjustment controls to give you the best quality signal to noise ratio.
' This telephone has an extra loud visual ringer that can amplify the ringer volume up to 88db.
' The Clarity C4220 has a speaker phone that is handy when you are trying to keep up with automated menus asking you to make a number selection on your keyboard and listen too.
' This telephone can be wall mounted.
' This telephone also gives you the choice of using its 2.5mm jack for a headset, or the 3.5mm jack for a neck loop.
' A setting will automatically return the amplification level back to the normal level when I hang up. However, if I was the only one using this telephone, I could keep the same amplification I previously used.
' Be aware that the manufacturer recommends plugging the power cord for this telephone into a wall outlet that has no other appliances plugged into that same outlet. Failure to do this can cause the telephone to act erratic. Otherwise, this telephone is very dependable and operates very well.
After years of trying various amplified telephones, I can highly recommend the Clarity telephones.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good value, September 26, 2010
Alex Kistler (Olympia, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
This is an expensive phone and there are several things I wish were better. The range of this portable phone is really lousy. Leaving the bedroom causes the voice quality to go down and by about 25 feet away the call gets lost altogether. I would prefer that this was a corded phone (and cheaper) given this limitation.
Admittedly dad is a little technologically challenged. He found the multiple features and buttons confusing. The LCD screen was hard for him to see and was also confusing. I find the voice quality at the other end is a bit harsh and too loud.
So, the voice intelligibility for some callers is improved but overall it doesn't sound a lot better to him than his old AT&T Trimline. It may be that as his hearing changes there will be adjustments that can be made on this phone that would accommodate it.
If the cordless range was better I would feel more positive about this phone.

Addendum: Dad has gotten used to this phone and finds it is really helpful now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, could be easier to use, August 1, 2009
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
I bought this phone for my 90 year old grandmother who has a difficult time hearing. She had an analog version of this phone, but it sounded awful and the signal broke up even five feet from the receiver. This phone sounds very clear and is loud enough for her to hear callers. It is definitely worth the price. It also offers much more grandma-proofing control compared to other amplified cordless phones, like being able to set whether the loudness boost is on by default. My only complaint is that the phone is configured through a menu system, which is impossible for a 90-year-old to figure out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clairty 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone, November 22, 2008
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
Purchased this phone for my Mother. Her hearing is limited to one ear and she has significant hearing loss in that ear and needs a hearing aid to even carry a conversation. We had a Walker Model 400 prior to the purchase of this Clairty 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone. Although she was able to use the old Walker and at the time we were happy with it. The new Clairty 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone seems to be working out much better for her. So far she states she can hear better with this phone then she has with any other. We would recommend this phone to anyone with any type of hearing loss who requires some type of amplification for thier phone. We are very pleased with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars There must be a better solution for the hearing impaired., November 2, 2010
Sidney Cohen (Cincinnati, Ohio, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
This telephone is a complete bust. First of all it was quite expensive compared to standard high quality wireless telephones. Secondly the sound quality was completely garbled at lower ranges of amplification and when the "booster" was activated to reach higher levels of amplification the sound was unintelligible and useless. Finally for a wireless insrument its range from base station to hand set was at most about 30 feet. The signal was lost beyond that range. I returned it after one day of frustration. This was the third model of amplified phone that I have tried and I must say that a standard phone with its volume at maximum level is better than any of the specialized phones i tried.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great phone! But only when it works., July 29, 2011
JBS (Rocky Mtns) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
We bought Clarity phones for one set of our parents in their 80's and they loved it so much, that we bought another complete set (base unit & ans machine + 3 remote sets) for our other set of parents. Had over $500 into these phone systems before we realized the long-term problems. One phone (usually the base unit) will suddenly stop working -- about once every couple months. And if one stops working, they all can't connect to the phone line. We even sent one base unit back to the factory for replacement, but the same problem occurred.

The only fix is to do a reset by taking the batteries out of the phone, then the base unit, then unplug the phone line, then unplug the power, then wait, then 1) put batteries back in the phone (but not the base yet) 2) plug in the power to the base unit. 3) plug in the phone line 4) wait for phone re-registration with the base. And last, 5) put batteries back into the base unit for the answering machine. If you don't do it in exactly that order then the problem is unlikely to be corrected. Oh-- and if that doesn't work, then do the whole process over, but include taking batteries out of the remote phones too.

NOW... try explaining these detailed instructions to your 80 year old parents and tell them how easy it will be when their phone (and only lifeline in an emergency) goes dead. We now have $500 of Clarity phone equipment sitting on our shelves that I feel too guilty to sell to some fool on e-bay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved over prior model, May 2, 2010
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
I purchased this cordless phone to replace an older Clarity cordless phone that would no longer charge properly. This model is an improvement over the prior version I had as far as hearing for me is concerned. It is not quite as good as a corded Clarity that I also recently purchased, but good enough for moderate length conversations. I have a pretty severe problem using phones with the level of hearing loss I have, so I am happy that this unit works as well as it does for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Clarity Model C4220, November 4, 2010
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
I bought this phone for a friend in a nursing home with a hearing impairment. I was attracted by the 50 dB of amplification. I have 3 specific issues with this phone. It has a rotary knob volume control near the user's thumb which would seem like a good idea except that it had no means of locking the knob into a fixed position (maximum, for example). Everytime I visited my friend, she had inadvertently turned the volume down while talking on the phone. The other downside to this phone was the size of the display and specifically, the difficulty of using the phone directory. The top portion of the display area was taken up by a time and date display which could not be hidden. When you went to make use of the phone directory, you were handicapped by the small viewable area with a small arrow on the left side as you scrolled down the list of names. For an elderly user with vision problems, it can be a challange. Finally, I found the audio quality disappointing notwithstanding the 4 "customized" audio filter selections. My friend had a V-Tech phone before this one, and to be honest, I think the sound quality of the V-Tech was superior and not that much lower in amplitude. The bottom line of this review is that if you are buying this phone for an elderly person, try to see and feel one before purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone, July 4, 2010
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
I bought this phone for my mother who has a severe hearing loss, I have bought her several amplified phones before, this is the best one so far, easy to use and very loud. Even I can hear her better on the other side, so it's loud both ways. The volume control and ringer control is very easy to use on the handset. Both ringers on the the base and handset cna be turned off which is really nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible phone, March 27, 2011
This review is from: 5.8GHZ Amplified Cordless Telephone (Office Product)
This phone has great sound quality and amplification during the rare times when it works. The first hand set had problems connecting with the base and often would not answer an incoming call and often difficult to get a dial tone when calling out. We tried it in two different houses and in phone jacks all over the house. Even on good days when the phone worked, the handset battery charge would not last the day. We returned it to Clarity (Plantronics) for a replacement. Replacement phone worked for a week and now the handset won't charge and still has some handset to base connecting problems. I wish I had just returned it to Amazon, always great, rather than dealing with Clarity customer service. Also, Clarity did not pay for return shipping even though phone defective.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›