Published on July 25, 2011 by J. Schneider

3.0 out of 5 stars Just 'OK'
Had high hopes after reading the description and reviews. With so many products on the market today, we can find remarkable products at great price. After using for 3 days I determined this is neither remarkable or a great price, so returned it and will likely go back to Panasonic.

Pro
- well packaged, simple to set up
- lots of features
-...
Published on September 1, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars a near perfect phone for the hard of hearing minus an answering machine, July 25, 2011
This review is from: Clarity XLC3.4 Amplified Cordless Phone (59234) (Office Product)
This phone is as close to perfect as I could find... and I really researched this out at length. It is not only easy to use and program, but it is easy (and the best) phone for adjusting volume and tone. The ringer is adjustable and loud enough that buying an accessory ringer is not needed. It has all the features you would want in any phone including caller ID. This model does not have an answering machine included and that was perfect for me in that I already had an answering service. The AMAZON price with prime shipping was the lowest, too. The company's reputation for being a leader in cordless phones for hard of hearing is well deserved. If there is a better phone for the hard of hearing, I would be surprised.... over the years we have had several different brands of amplified phones and this has been the very best of all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conversation with Mom is possible again! We are all smiles., August 13, 2011
Mom is all smiles! I am too: My mother is 87 and her hearing loss has become worse and worse for several years. I live 1000 miles away and our inability to converse by phone the last couple years has been hard on both of us. I visited her last month and ordered the Clarity XLC3.4 Amplified Cordless Phone for her based on my very smart husband's recommendation (he is quite the electronics guru). I programmed in family phone numbers for her while there and showed her how to use it. It was not hard, but the elderly should not have to program their own phones. Life is too short to worry about those little details.
We practiced using the phone by calling her 96 year old sister. It was wonderful for Mom to hear her sister's voice. Unfortunately, her sister could not her Mom. I am definitely suggesting that her son buy this model for my aunt.
I called Mom when I got home, and she heard the phone ring, answered it, and heard me just fine. What a great product. I cannot recommend it more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for people with hearing, vision, and/or arthritis problems, January 1, 2012
My 84 year old mother has struggled to hear on a variety of phones. She has significant hearing loss and uses a hearing aid. I gave her the Clarity XLC3.4 Amplified Cordless Phone for Christmas. The phone and base unit arrived with partially-charged batteries. A call came in just minutes after I plugged it in, and it was love at first call! Mom finds the voice quality so clear and easy to hear that she hasn't needed to try the boost button yet. She loves that the phone "talks" to her informing her who is calling as well as speaking the numbers as she dials. The buttons and design of the phone are easy on her arthritic hands. I noticed a similar Clarity phone (same shaped handset) has the Ease of Use recommendation for the Arthritis Foundation. My mom finds the ID screen and illuminated key pad easy to read - great for older eyes. Mom loves this phone so much that she has already asked for another one for the bedroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for a person hard of hearing, February 20, 2011
Bought this for my mother-in-law who has a serious hearing problem. With the exception of the boost button getting in her way, the phone appears to be a blessing for her to use. The price was excellent for a limited budget and shipping was prompt and pleasantly appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity XLC3.4 Amplified Cordless Phone, August 6, 2011
Raymond K. Moessner "Ray" (Manchester, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This is a powerful phone for anyone up to the severely hearing impaired. Depending on the caller's volume, I may not even turn on the boost function. Realistically, it is a large, heavy phone, so I usually plug in a Plantronics head set, placed over my better ear, for more, longer phone call, convenience. My wife, who has excellent hearing, loves it. Best, clearest phone in the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally an amplified cordless phone that looks like a traditional cordless phone!, August 1, 2012
I purchased this phone for my husband who has a severe to profound hearing loss. He is not elderly and doesn't need a phone with large buttons. Unfortunately, for the level of amplification needed (50 db) most of the amplified phones on the market have large buttons so it was nice to finally see a traditional looking cordless phone. After doing some research online with a vender who sells products to people who are deaf/hard of hearing, I decided to go with the Clarity XLC 3.4 model. Amazon had the best price of course!

Two features that my husband uses regularly are the boost setting which controls the loudness of the receiver. When it is selected, an extra level of amplification is added over the entire range of volume control up to 50db. This isn't the norm for amplified cordless phone. There is dial on the side which controls the level of volume for the handset and speakerphone up to 16db of volume. In the menu setup you can select the Auto Boost feature so the Boost function will be ON every time a call starts. When I use the phone, I just press the Boost button to turn OFF the Boost function for my call. When I hang up the phone, the Boost function will remain ON. Another feature is the Tone button which allows the caller to change the style of amplification. By pressing the TONE button the caller can toggle between the different settings. This is great if you have a person on the other end of the line who speaks softly or if you hear low and/or high tones better.

I find myself using this phone personally because I hear better on it. Speech is not just louder but clearer and easier to understand. Two features that I like are the Voice Assist which utilizes your Caller ID service to "read" incoming phone numbers as well as the "say" the phone number you dial out. Now I can listen to the incoming phone number without having to read the Caller ID and know if I want to answer the phone. Secondly, there are ringer controls on both the hanset and base. You can have both set to ON or both set to OFF or only the base ON and receiever OFF or the base OFF and the receiver ON. Trust me, you will use it.

Installation and set up were straight forward. The most difficult part was waiting for the phone to charge before using. You can add additional handsets, sold separately, that will work with this model. NOTE: Clarity XLC3.1HS Amplified Cordless Handset (59231) sold by Amazon does not work alone but in conjuction with this model. I knocked off one star because of the price. However, I was willing to pay this amount to get the features necessary.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just 'OK', September 1, 2012
Amazon Customer "LLMoon" (Cypress, Texas United States) - See all my reviews

Pro
- well packaged, simple to set up
- lots of features
- good volume level as stated
- speakerphone is easy to turn on/off and had reasonable volume
- multiple tone settings so you can adjust the sound to meet your preference/hearing needs

Con
-lacks the refinement/product maturity you find in a Panasonic or Uniden cordless phone
-ringtones are so shrill I had turn them off and rely on other phones in the house to alert to an incoming call
-announcement of the caller ID is a great feature, but this phone also speaks the numbers as you dial them. Cannot independently control these two features. Should be able to turn off the dialing option and leave the caller-ID announcement on.
-speakerphone is not full duplex (which I would not expect in a low-cost device, but was hoping a phone this expensive would have full duplex) so same old problems of having to wait for caller to stop speaking, conversations are not as natural as desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Old People, February 8, 2012
I bought this for my 90-year-old grandfather who is hard of hearing. It works great. Our phone conversations are much more enjoyable now. From reading the reviews of several other less expensive "amplified" phones, it seems some don't really work well for older people. This one definitiely works! My grandfather also likes that it lights up when the phone rings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loud but not clear, September 13, 2012
Bought this thinking it will improve phone conversations for my mom who is hard of hearing and wears a hearing aid. We now have a regular cordless Panasonic phone with a speaker phone facility. The clarity phone was much louder BUT it was just not clear enough and my mom complained of just hearing a lot of noise. I tried all combinations of all settings but it just wasn't as good as Panasonic for her. After trying it out for 4 days, we decided to return it.
The return process with amazon was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper! - Clarity XLC3.4, November 17, 2011
I bought this phone for my mom who was getting very frustrated talking on the phone to the point that she would hand the phone over to my dad. She does have hearing aids. I'm so glad to say that she just loves the phone and all the volume controls. They are returning two others and keeping this one!

Clarity XLC3.4 Amplified Cordless Phone (59234)
$159.95 $96.99