Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

OK, we have all seen those books full of money-saving and penny pinching tips. This is yet another in that genre. But it's the newest, freshest and most up to date book in this genre, and many of the "same-old same-old" tips have been updated for our current financial hard times. Not only that, but there's a scattering of unique tips by "the worlds cheapest man".

If you are newly into penny-pinching this is an excellent book to get you started. If you are an experienced saver, you will still pick up some new tips and plenty of updates on the old stand-byes. Don't get me wrong- if you just bought one of his competitors books, you probably don't have to rush out and buy this one- but it couldn't hurt to take a look at Clark's book anyway.

There's 250 tips, some of which are "well sure" but many of which are "Why didn't I think of that!". Clark Howard covers insurance, prescriptions, utility savings, mortgages, cell phones, and even consumer fraud and identity theft. These last are part of what sets this book apart- sure those security tips are available elsewhere, but it's nice having them all in one easy to read book.

I do note that one idea- that of getting your MD to prescribe larger doses of your daily meds then cutting the pills in half is something my MD isn't crazy about. But Howard has several other ideas that could save you a nice chunk of change every month.

Note also that Clark Howard has a rather interesting and useful website, with synopsis of his radio & TV shows and appearances, consumer tips, and even monthly bargain topics.

The book is written in a friendly and easy to read manner.
1616 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Other than the crooks who run Wall Street yet never seem to go to jail (Hello GS!), not many of us are doing too well these days. Tips on how to save money become more useful daily, so a book with 250 of them must be worth its weight in gold, right? (Well, maybe silver now, gold costs almost as much as gas these days.)

Yes...and no. Let me play Clark Howard for a second, and let's talk about how to save money on Clark Howard's book. It's really very simple. As good as this book is for those who are rather new to cutting the fat from their spending, you can easily pull out your cash knife and cut away the purchase price of this book by...going to CH's website. It's that simple, really. Almost everything in this book is on there...for free!

Now why didn't Clark tell us that? Well, can't save EVERY penny, now can we? (He does hype the website more than occasionally, but doesn't suggest it as a reasonable alternative to buying his book. Hard to blame him, though. Frankly, I think he'd agree with this review, if only on principle.) Just go to his site, which this one won't let me link to, but use his name and that com thing and there you go. Now head to "Greatest Hits", and shazam! Much of the best stuff in this book is there for you, laid out by title on one page. LOTS of good tips there, and you can be reading them in less than five seconds from now.

How's that for saving you money?

But if you know someone who wastes a lot of cash on stupid frivolous things, or doesn't know how to trim their expenses, then this might be a fine gift. It's a good, useful, decently written book, and while not offering much new for long-time frugal folks, it will help out the many people who haven't learned how to stop spending money and how to start saving it.

The key seems to be: THINK BEFORE YOU SPEND!
And on that note, isn't there a website you'd like to check out?
99 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2011
I follow Clark Howard via podcasts and I check out his web site frequently. He is full of great ideas and tips, delivered in a relaxed and friendly manner. I really get the feeling of Clark's sincerity. Not only do I learn a lot from him, but it feels good at the same time. I read almost all the financial literature and I keep up to date on finance and investment. Even so, I am constantly learning new things and tips from Clark, as he keeps his info fresh and updated. Clark has saved me a BUNCH of money. Yes, a lot of the information is available on his web site and (free) podcasts. But some people want to read a book, they don't follow this stuff like some of us do. This book is another method for Clark to reach people, and it's a great read. Clark states on his podcast frequently where, when and how one can buy his book at a discount or to check the book out at the library. But if you like to collect good books, like I do, then this is a great addition to your collection!
on August 5, 2011
Clark's book (pre-ordered from Amazon.com) arrived in the mail on Tuesday, August 2. Five minutes after opening the cover to begin reading, I was online signing up for a $120 reduction in the cost of my husband's prescription drug, using Clark's advice on page 104 to visit the drug website for a co pay card. Talk about a great return on my investment of less than $11 for a book! Can't wait to dig a little deeper and see what other tips he has. Thanks, Clark!
on September 5, 2011
Nothing earthshaking or new here, but still some good Clark Howard and he's always good. For anyone not familiar with his advice, this book would be a valuable starting place.

It would also be an excellent gift for a new, or returning, college student. These days, college students must both be armed with solid financial knowledge, and prepared to look ahead to their financial futures. Both needs would be well served by Howard's advice here.

Howard's website is also a helpful resource, but somehow, having a book right in hand to look over, think over and review is well worth it.
on November 22, 2011
This book has paid for itself many times over. It's a quick read, and I took tons of notes, which saved me tons of money. Here are some of the areas which this book has benefited me:
- Finding money (lost money websites)
- Healthcare credit reports
- HUD refund
- Home mortgage fraud
- Inventorying my home
- Best credit card
- Credit card freezes
- Monitoring my kids
- Cheap eye glasses (I picked up a couple of pairs up for $7 each!)
- Coupon codes
- Grocery deals
- How to make razor last a year
- Car recalls
- Cheaper internet
- Deals of the day
- Price protector alerts
- Black Friday shopping
- Peer to peer lending

This book is well organized and easy to read. If there is a topic that you are interested in, you can go right to that place in the book via the index.

If you would like to save some money, this is the book for you.
on December 12, 2011
I borrowed a copy of Clark Howard's latest book, "Living Large in Lean Times" from my local library but it is so full of useful information that I knew my allotted time of three weeks worth of borrowing it just wouldn't be enough. I took notes as I perused the book and planned on "renewing" my borrowing time for an add'l three weeks. However, my notes soon became multiple pages and there were so many spots I wanted to put an asterisk by in the book, add my own notes, etc., that I decided I needed my own copy. Very rare for me to buy a book, I almost always just borrow from the library. I found a used on Amazon (why buy new when used is available and cheaper?). I could've bought one and w/the shipping paid a certain amount, but by buying three (all used), they qualified as "free shipping" articles so I got three for the price of two! I'm keeping one for myself for Christmas and giving two to my twin sister and brother! What a deal! Clark Howard is one of my heros, saving me $ over the years and offering wonderful info and tips, I just can't say enough. I would purchase Clark Howard stock if I could!
on November 25, 2011
This guide (if I may call it that), is such a book of revelation that I couldn't put it down. Going back over it, I made many notes and every web site he gives is actually a REAL live site!! Thank you Mr Clark, enjoying your book and its good to see a Georgian do so well!!.

John R
on September 4, 2011
Clark Howard has done it again. This book is a must read!! I used his advise for finding money and have already located some lost funds in a state where I previously lived. Don't forget when you move to retrieve any utility down payments that you made when you moved in. Thanks Clark!!
on April 25, 2012
I gave this three stars due to the content, which appeared to be spot on. I could not finish this audio book. The narrative is first person and is not read by Clark Howard. It took me a while to realize why I wasn't enjoying it, as the tips appear to be a great consolidation of his tips on television.
I am a frequent audio book user and used to different narrators; however, what is off about this book is the me's, I's, and my's, read by someone other than Clark. His voice is distinctive and can be heard daily on Headline News. Be wary of getting the audio version if you are familiar with his voice. I could not get very far into this.