5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book
I found that this book offers clear and concise tips for many areas pertaining to real estate. We are considering selling our home and I have gained some great pointers that I would not have thought of on my own. This book has the same "Clark-smartness" that comes across on his radio show and other books. Highly recommend.
Published on July 19, 2007 by C. Ender

2.0 out of 5 stars Way Too Elementary
Let me first say that I am a HUGE fan of Clark Howard. I love his show and listen to it every day. I go to his website for advice and information and enjoy hearing his commentary.

Published on May 15, 2008 by Ayodele Mellor

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book, July 19, 2007

2.0 out of 5 stars Way Too Elementary, May 15, 2008
Ayodele Mellor (Wilmington, NC USA) - See all my reviews

However, I really feel that this book was a waste of time for me to read, and I'm no real estate expert. I was hoping to get more in-depth information on real estate investing. This as more of an intro to real estate book for dummies. This would be great for someone who knows NOTHING about buying a house and even then I felt that a lot of the advice was common sense knowledge.

Maybe I feel this way because after having listened to his show for years, maybe I've already heard most of what he has to say. Perhaps something in this book would be news to another person. I don't know, but I would not call this the "Ultimate Guide to Buying Real Estate." I just felt it was way too basic and didn't include much specific information. It would be better named "A Basic Introduction to Real Estate."

But I still love Clark!

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Estate, June 5, 2008
This review is from: Clark Smart Real Estate: The Ultimate Guide to Buying and Selling Real Estate (Paperback)
Book was a good primer; brief and general, but I wanted more specifics in certain areas; overall, it's a good reference book to keep on your shelf for a quick refresher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must-Read" for first-time home buyers, February 18, 2008
Sound, practical advice for anyone buying real estate. I have owned 4 rentals over the years & I KNOW that Clark's aproach will work. This is NOT a book that says "anyone can buy real estate with no money down, no much how much you owe." Instead, this is a "slow-growth" approach that endorses a conservative, careful approach to real estate investing. Know what you are buying, do your homework first, etc. - and Clark shows you how to get the information you need. This is THE book to read before buying a personal home or an investment property. Because I think so much like Clark, I borrowed a copy from the library;but I strongly recommend that anyone new to real estate purchasing BUY a copy to keep. You will want it with you every step of the way, from searching for a good deal to choosing investment lenders & negotiating mortgage rates.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you are considering real estate investing, not as good if you just want to buy your family home, March 8, 2013
I really like the Clark Howard radio show, but I wasn't that impressed with this book. I bought it when we were getting into the market to buy our next house for our expanding family. It seemed more geared toward the investor which I didn't realize before I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clark Smart Real Estate, August 10, 2008
Matthew R. Winship (Undisclosed Location) - See all my reviews
As a rookie in real estate investing I learned alot from this book. Clark Howard's writing style is easy to read and understand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Concise and to the point - BEWARE OF INVESTMENT ADVISE THOUGH, March 15, 2011
Quick and easy read, straight to the point.
Beware of Investment property advise though - Mr. Clark suggesting that buying a rental property where collected rent is less than PITI (Principal, Interest, Property Taxes and Insurance) is ok since you are going to increase rents each year. If you want to buy an "investment" that will eat your cash for years to come - follow this advise. Otherwise beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introductory book, August 14, 2009
Mariusz Skonieczny "Author" (classicvalueinvestors com) - See all my reviews
At first when I saw a guy throwing money on the cover of this book, I thought to myself, "Not again. Another get-rich-quick-and-borrow-a-lot book on real estate." But I was quite surprised. The author does believe in real estate as a way to get rich, but slowly not quickly. He believes that the way to do it is through good decisions over time. I also liked that he did not try to prove that real estate is better than stocks or mutual funds. He simply said that real estate is part of the investment puzzle and to do well, you need fundamental knowledge. I wish that more authors would learn this from him.

I have to warn readers that this book is mainly for beginners. If you have purchased properties before, this book may be too easy. But it has good information. For example, when buying properties, he advises buyers to check which the school district the property is in, how old the mechanicals systems (heating, air-conditioning, water heater) are, and whether the property is in a flood plain. Not many books even mention this.

- Mariusz Skonieczny, author of Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market? Learn how to invest your money, how to pick stocks, and how to make money in the stock market

4.0 out of 5 stars Read after purchasing first investment property, May 22, 2014
We initially purchased our first investment property end of 2007, and we had thought prices had bottomed out!
Only after first buy did I get this book and set to reading it several times. On the upside, it reinforced what we had done and gave additional confidence to continue down the investment property road. On average we purchased a total of five investment properties over 7 years, always with at least 20% deposit and sufficient reserves. I feel this book has provided a solid foundation to make initial decisions on what/where and how to buy, obviously at the point we are at now we have "graduated". I would like to add, being a good Landlord is what will make or break the investment after you have purchased, this is the harder part, as the first bit is more fun and exciting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Insightful, December 30, 2013
Great Book!!!! My wife and I are decided to take the chance and read this book before we bought a house, best decision we made.

Clark Smart Real Estate: The Ultimate Guide to Buying and Selling Real Estate