Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

on February 24, 2014
I've actually wanted a pair of Wallabee boots for decades, but just not enough to pony up the money. In addition to the high price, I also don't like the feel of tall heels, so I wasn't sure that I like the heel on the Wallabees (this is more about comfort then cosmetic.) But when I found these Gunn's on sale, with their slim soles, I had to grab them and I'm really glad I did. They look great and they're very comfortable. Like with many Clarks shoes, the amount of cushioning provided by such a slim sole is amazing.

I normally wear a 10.5-11 in shoes and a 10.5 with Clarks. So, I purchased them in both of those sizes, but have yet to receive the 10.5's, so this review is written on the size 11's, which I think I'll keep. Because of the square toe, I could probably fit into a 10.5, but I think they would be a little too tight. I have a little extra room with the 11's, but not anymore then I'd want and I think the size 11 fits perfect on me. Plus, I'll probably wear them with thick socks some times and there won't be any extra room then.

As others have noted, they are a little narrow, but mocs usually do run narrow. Plus, my feet run a little narrow and this just helps them fit snug on me, regardless of whether I have room to spare in the toes or not. They do not run particularly long, so don't worry about that. My suggestion would be to stick with your most common size, like I did, since I usually wear a size 11 in most shoes.

Several reviewers mentioned them rubbing around the heel or the shoe opening, and I can understand that. But while I haven't worn mine enough to say for sure that this won't be a problem for me, I'm not finding any discomfort yet. That's not usually a problem for me and I don't expect it to be one this time, either, but because they're narrow and have a somewhat hard band around the opening, I can see why some may complain about it.

Overall, they look and fit great and they're very comfortable, so I think I'm going to love them!

P.S. I purchased the olive pair, and as you may suspect, they're more green then in the pictures here or on the Clarks website, but they're still more of a grayish/brownish green color, which I think looks much better then in the pictures on either site.

Update: I received the smaller pair today (e.g. 10.5) and had to try them on to make sure I'd chosen the best size. Surprisingly, they fit quite well and had more toe room then I'd expected. Anatomically, the were probably a better fit, because the arch support was more appropriately located (note that I have size 10.5 feet, but fallen arches and long toes often require an 11 shoe size.) My biggest concern was probably with the width, because they were far more snug, and despite having plenty of room in the toe box, I struggled just to get them on my feet. In the end, however, I stuck with the size 11 pair to be safe and for a more comfortable fit while wearing with heavy socks. Either size would have worked, but while I hate for my shoes to be too large, I just thought the smaller size was just a little too snug on me (although, if it were a Summer shoe, I would have stuck with the smaller size.) So basically, if your feet are big for their shoe size, I'd definitely recommend going with the larger size, but if you have a narrow foot and you're not worried about them fitting snug, you might prefer the smaller. They are definitely somewhat narrow, but the length is okay.

Update 2: Another important point about this shoe is that the shoe opening is very small. It has an attached tongue, which probably contributes to this. Part of the reason why I went with the larger size is because I could barely get the smaller size on my foot. Once it was on, it didn't seem terribly small, but I suspect the snug fit of the shoe opening has something to do with the complaints of rubbing around the heel area. Putting on the larger size isn't a breeze, either, but it was much easier for me then the smaller one.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2013
Shoes rub up against my heel every step. So far I'm not satisfied until I find a solution to my problem
on December 15, 2013
This shoe is very comfortable and stylish! It is also very affordable so I ordered another pair in Navy for my son.
on March 20, 2014
I usually get a 7.5 in all other Clark's but these run small. I ordered another pair in an 8 and they fit.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2014
Having a range of Clarks I knew to buy a half size smaller. I normally wear size 10 US and this 9.5 fits perfectly. A very comfortable shoe from your first step. Shipping was fast and the product was delivered as expected.
on October 17, 2014
Gave me a blister on my achilles tendon the first time I wore it. Otherwise a nice looking and comfortable shoe, Just don't walk in it.
on December 28, 2014
Good looking shoe that appears to be well made- they seem a trifle narrow. If you want a loose, "comfy" fit - you might pass on these. They do have a couple bothersome issues. The foot opening is pretty tight- you will not just "slip" these on. The lacing system does not provide a snug lace up feeling that I prefer (did not buy a slipper or loafer). If they are not snug, the HARD upper rolled edge will rub your Achilles something fierce. Out of the box, the leather of the shoe is very stiff- I hope that rim gets soft and broke in- until then I will wear a heavier sock. The foot bed is very comfortable, the sole has adequate traction. Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase.
on September 22, 2014
I originally purchased this pair of men's Clarks Gunn Oxford Shoes for an elderly neighbor who is 91. The first pair was just a tad too snug since he wears thicker socks so he wanted me to send them back and get a half size larger. After I took them home to box them back up, my son who is 25 liked the look of them and tried them on. He said they were one of the most comfortable pair of shoes he's tried on in quite some time. I kept that pair and ordered another and both guys are super happy. So if you are looking for a pair of shoes that are timeless and loved by all ages these Clarks are for you.
on August 15, 2014
They are nice shoes. I was traveling overseas doing some training and had to walk around a lot during the day. The pedometer on my phone was at 10+ moles daily.
I put these shoes into the rotation and they are stiff. They look good but they are quite stiff right on my ankle. Right in the wrong spot and I got blisters. I played through the pain and kept them in the rotation.
I now live a flip flop lifestyle(see my reviews on Sanuk sandles), and I no longer require these kind of shoes. Will save for an occasion or send to the goodwill.
on December 26, 2014
This shoe start out as one of the most uncomfortable shoes I ever owned. The soles are great, as most people say after owning clarks shoes. However, the leather at the cuff was stiff and would cause blisters to form on my ankle bones. The fit in the toe box was perfect, but the rubbing in the ankle was unbearable. That is until I found a set of Birkenstock insoles at my local outdoor shop for 5 dollars. This raised my foot up and made me times more happy. Not a single complaint until snow accumulated more than 3 inches.