5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie needs EXCELLENT 3D
I bought this movie when we bought our 3D tv last year. Honestly, it wouldn't have been my first choice of 3D movies, but when we bought it, there were only a handful of movies available in 3D, which were mostly documentaries, and of course we had to buy a few movies to properly try out our new toy. So mostly due to lack of other options, we purchased this one...
Published on April 28, 2011 by Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Special Effects, Short On Story
Never mind that Clash of the Titans play fast and loose with the mythological story of Perseus. Never mind that Medusa wasn't a Titan. Never mind that the Kraken is from Scandinavian mythology, and that casting Lawrence Olivier as Zeus in the 1981 version was sort of typecasting.

The new Clash of the Titans is a darker, grittier more realistic Bronze age world...
Published on April 2, 2010 by Jym Cherry

‹ Previous | 1 2 362 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars 3D???, March 13, 2012
Kelby J. Walker (Pensacola, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the 3D version of this movie about a month ago and I had been saving it for the right moment to watch it. I had already seen the 2D version and thought it was an okay movie... not the best, but entertaining. After watching other movies on the same level, I realized that 3D makes some movies more enjoyable. Not this one. For the first half of the movie the 3D didn't even seem to be working. There was a couple times when I thought about placing the 2D disc in and finishing the movie that way because the 3D version wasn't worth wearing the glasses for 2 hours. So far, this is the worst 3D movie that I've seen. It didn't help that I had just watched Immortals right before it which was much better in 3D. I really didn't like that film in 2D and though 3D didn't make the story better, it was a visually stunning work of art that I couldn't turn off. Anyways, stay away from this one. Luckily I bought mine on sale and it included the Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital Copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing special effects, but not much else, September 24, 2010
This review is from: Clash of the Titans (DVD)
Like many others, I was a fan of the earlier version of Clash of the Titans. This modern version is plagued by all the same problems that seem to be a part of today's movie making: the makers let the special effects dominate the movie, and dismiss everything else. I loved this movie for the special effects, and it is worth watching, and even owning, just for that alone. The characters, the monsters, the battle scenes, the gods, etc. were all worth the price of admission. My favorite part is that the winged stallion Pegasus is jet black, and has a herd of pure white winged mares. But I would have liked a little more story. Another of the problems this movie has is its' near complete lack of color. Everything is in muted shades of bronze, brown, black, gray and cream. It totally amazes me that today, with fantastic fabrics in every color of the rainbow easily available, no one in Hollywood seems to think to use them. For all the colors this movie has, it might just as well have been filmed in black and white. Not to mention that many of the scenes, like the confrontation with Medusa, are so very dark that it is hard to make out the action. Directors today seem bogged down by "historical accuracy" and "true to life". But this story is not a history lesson, it is a fable. The original Clash of the Titans remembered that it was a fairy tale, used beautiful fabric and bright colors, had characters in it that looked like they bathed, and had bright backgrounds filled with light that let the audience see what was going on. With the modern version, I felt like I should run it through a computer, and add color and light to it. As it is, the heros are brown, the monsters are brown and the backgrounds are brown.

Moreover, the makers of this movie did nothing to tell even a bare bones story. There is no reason in this movie for Perseus to rescue Andromeda, or to risk his life for the city---he is a stranger to the princess, and the people of the city have not exactly been friendly to him. He is imprisoned, tortured and then forced into taking on the quest. He should have taken off the first chance he got. The idea that he has some vague idea of getting back at the gods is not sufficient.

This movie is worth watching, with fantastic special effects, but I would have loved to see how much better it could have been with bright colors, more light and a better story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly bad., July 2, 2011
Mr. William J. Mccluskey (Tallahassee, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clash of the Titans (DVD)
It wasn't a surprise this movie was bad, it was surprising just how bad it could be. The script seemed like it was written by a 13 year old, and the direction is ridiculous. To say it's stupid is such an understatement. How does a wooden boat sink? How does a sword stick into a marble column? How does a knife sever a 2 foot thick stalactite? They turned a hero into a grumpy juice-head, they threw in a gratuitous "strong female character," and the so called story is the minimum amount of dialog to string together over the top, silly fight scenes.

Supporting actors did a good job acting their parts, but when your part is written like crap, directed like crap, and edited to be a steamy pile of crap it doesn't help that they have strong supporting actors (many of which have about three lines).

Don't watch this movie. All it will do is upset and disappoint you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Release the NoDoz!, April 4, 2010
DarthRad (United States) - See all my reviews
Zzzzz... yet another movie with terrific CGI, a garbled plot, no human emotional connection, and a mixed bag of awful to above average acting. I actually started to fall asleep at various points in this movie....

One's senses are not quite as assaulted as with "Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen", but this movie falls into that same class of an action movie hyped mainly for its special effects and yet unable to hold our attention just on that basis. Yes, there was a time, back in the days of "Jurassic Park", when merely seeing this awe-inspiring CGI onscreen was enough to keep a moviegoer awake, but no more. Nowadays, terrific CGI is so ubiquitous that it is easy to be blase about seeing it onscreen; the CGI is just part of a movie's landscape, like the potted plants and furniture.

Enough, my eyes and ears tell me, so what if the Kraken/Medusa/Giant Crab/Monster Du Jour is attacking - do I care enough about the characters and plot that it means anything? Without that essential emotional connection to the story and characters, watching massive quantities of CGI is just as sleep inducing as watching potted plants grow.

Sam Worthington is in this movie, which might be enough to keep his fans awake, but I am baffled at how he has managed to become a mega-movie star in such a short time. A published critical review of his performance said that his CGI "Avatar" character had more facial expressions than he did in this movie. Another said that his acting was so wooden that it belonged in the lumbar section of the Home Depot.

Mads Mikkelsen was one of the few actors to squeeze a capable performance out of this movie, as Draco, the co-leader of Perseus's merry band of monster-chow. Kudos to him for managing to retain his dignity, much more than Liam Neeson or Ralph Fiennes were able to do in this movie. The presence of these two stars bring to mind the latter days of Sir Laurence Olivier, who was willing to appear in almost any bad movie as long as they paid his fee. I would love to know just what was going through Liam Neeson's mind as he was walking around in that silly mirror-polished suit of armor and scraggly beard. Come to think of it, he did once do both in "Excaliber"... so maybe that's what he was thinking. Ralph Fiennes - has playing one of the most effective evil Nazis of all time onscreen ("Schindler's List") made him a lock for all the blockbuster Evil Bad Guy roles in Hollywood? Take the money and run, is what seems to be going on here.

One interesting visual effect of this movie was that all of the males were tanned a dark shade of bronze, whereas the two main female characters were left strikingly pale, which made me think that in the time of the Ancient Greeks, men and women were of different races. Or, perhaps the women were just locked up indoors all the time. Both women were cute and did a decent job in their roles, but the shag rug carpet which Io wore in her last scenes made me want to burst out laughing. Poor Gemma Arterton.

Yes, the costume designer for this movie was beyond horrible. I could go on and on about the horrible costuming.

Even worse, the Continuity Director must have been on drugs during the entire shoot. Or maybe it was just really bad film editing, combined with a fractured screenplay. Did anybody else notice the beautiful shot of sunlight breaking through the clouds....... during the total eclipse? Right, it does get awfully dark during a total eclipse, and that entire Kraken vs. Argos scene (with Alexa Davalos getting strung up as Kraken food) should have been in the dark, or twilight.

But then, almost nothing made sense in this movie. The initial entry into the palace of the King of Argos - was it a festival or something? What was with all the music and dancing girls? Perseus and his group journey into Hades - Charon is mentioned, but barely seen - not enough left in the budget for a better Charon? Then, having crossed the River Styx, they are not in Hades, but in Medusa's lair. WTF? And when Perseus comes out, he is seen exiting a cave. What happened to recrossing the River Styx?

More questions - Why is Pegasus black? What happened to Calibos's hand? (an interesting teaser, watching his hand come back to life... and then nothing). Why is it mentioned that Medusa can only turn men to stone, not women, and then the Kraken gets turned to stone when it sees the Medusa head? Does the Medusa head turn fish and crustaceans to stone also? How about insects? And oh dear me, WHY IS MEDUSA WEARING A BLACK BRA? Imagine putting a bra on your pet snake, yes that's what that looked like.

And of course, one cannot go through the list of what's totally bad in this movie without mentioning the obligatory Hollywood caricature of the Extremist Religionist, who is stuck into this movie like a sore thumb. He appears as this skinny bare chested guy with mascara eyeliner shrieking in a British accent about offering up Andromeda as a sacrifice. In between trying to stay awake, I could only groan and sigh "Not again" at the grating appearance of this character....

There were lots of things like that which made me want to close my eyes during this movie...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad movie. Good special effects, so-so story line, December 13, 2011
Joe Owen "Joe" (Republic of Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Clash of the Titans (DVD)
If I could give this 3 1/2 stars I would. But there is no 1/2 stars for rating so I gave it a three. I feel that is a fair judgement. I really enjoyed the special effects of when the scorpions attack, when Perseus and the other soldiers go into Medussa's temple, and the ride across the river Styx and Charon the ferryman, well I like this version of him. Now for the story...Great potential that falls short. The lead actors and actresses do a great job with the script that was given. From Liam Neeson(Zeus) to Sam Worthington (Perseus) whois helpless to save his family from Hades (Ralph Fiennes), god of the underworld to Gemma Arterton (IO) the woman who watches, not a complaint on the acting. The script however runs the basic same old story. I don't like the special effects of the Krakon. The movie thought that the more the monster the better. Not in this case. This isn't a bad movie to watch on a cloudy and rainy day.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want 3D I'd look elsewhere, December 5, 2011
So I am not a huge fan of this movie, but I bought it in 3D because frankly there aren't too many adult 3D movies out yet. I haven't even used the 3DTV all that much for movies, so when I bought this I was at first furious at my TV thinking the 3D feature is just a waste of time. After I watched about half of this piece of crap I popped in Yogi Bear 3D and it was about 1000x better as far as visuals go. If you like this movie and if you don't mind darker crappy 3D then I'd pick this up. Otherwise stay away. I even resold mine, and I never resell anything. I was that upset with the purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars MISH-MASH OF THE TITANS, June 22, 2011
to be fair this movie is almost impossible to make in any way that won't strain your willing suspension of disbelief. so, let's get the absurdity of the movie's basic premise out of the way. the gods, the old ones, not the more spiritual new ones who know better, need mankind's belief and love in order to exist. okay, not that original, but an interesting idea except that there is no need for any kind of faith when these gods walk around visibly and destructively among us. even goldman sachs manages to stay somewhat hidden as it wields power and wreaks havoc. not so these gods, especially their pet kraken. there might have been a more workable storyline built on whether these gods deserved our trust. but no matter. these gods are just men with way too much power. and it's never quite clear just how much power the demigods, like perseus and io, have. more in the range of superstar athletes, i guess. but to enjoy the movie, which you can, you need to shove all this behind you. like satanic conspiracy movies like "damien" where you have to forget that there is also an all-mighty and righteous god logically somewhere in the background.

still, there is a lot to like about the movie. perseus is honorable and cool. andromeda is wonderful, both beautiful and compassionate, and seemingly to good to refuse on any grounds. the medusa is also beautiful, and deadly, with that great hairdo of tiny serpents. the giant scorpion creatures are also deadly and a nice setup for the later real-time monster in the kraken. on the good-guy side the pegasus is quite well done and its flight/fight abilities very effective.

the love story is so minimal you wonder why they bothered, and there is no real chemistry between perseus and io, which is nearly canceled by both the beauty and magnetism of andromeda. you'd think someone would figure out that even in these costume-epics they don't have to reduce women to cardboard cutouts.

with plenty of flaws that might distract you, i say forget all that and enjoy the action and the good things that the movie offers, and forget the embarrassing absurdity of the gods, their pretentious mannered dialog and even more pretentious costuming. why does zeus need armor, anyway?

3.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable, December 25, 2010
This is basically an action movie drawing on ancient Greek mythology. In that regard, it's interesting that Zeus created the human race, and yet he depends on human worship for his immortality while being unable to force humans to worship. Why this dependency? On top of that, his demigod son Perseus prefers to live as a mortal human, even though he has the choice of living as an immortal god ...

Anyway, the movie is reasonably entertaining, though the action isn't enough to increase your heart rate much, if at all. The special effects and scenery are good though, again, not best in class. And the acting is likewise decent, with some well-known actors in the movie, though they don't have much to work with in terms of story or characters. In short, not a total waste of time, but certainly not a movie I'd want to watch again.

Last but not least, my wife picked this out as a "family" movie, but be forewarned that the level of violence is probably too much for young children (hence the PG-13 rating).

5.0 out of 5 stars what am I missing? I thought it was great!``, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Clash of the Titans (2010) (Amazon Instant Video)
this movie got a lot of bad buzz, and mixed reviews. I thought it was fantastic, a great bigger better and more fun than the original which I loved as a kid, I must have watched our tape till it wore out.

I think a lot of the bad reviews were related to the last minute cash-in 3d conversion that was made, but as a rental on Amazon - 5 stars.

my only complaint is the guy who plays Perseus is more of an action hero - not a great actor. he is completely a block of wood through the whole movie which is a shame because everyone else was great although his fight scenes were intense and well done (probably the main reason they hired him)

2.0 out of 5 stars What? No Bubo!?!?, October 20, 2010
Adam B. Krenn (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clash of the Titans (DVD)
Okay, Bubo had a TOO brief (if exact in appearance) cameo but sadly, he was not otherwise there (sniff). Other than that, what's to say about this strange fusion of Greek/Christian Mythologies? Well, Sam Worthington ran around sounding more like Mel Gibson in Mad Max (which isn't entirely bad) and the film actually suggested some interesting and intriguing questions regarding the nature of God (or in this case, gods) and man but never really answered them. Not to mention asking them, using a Demigod as the protagonist, just didn't really work well. Kind of like this film, it just didn't really work well. CGI heavy, of course, but most of it was pretty good, maybe because it just works for this subject matter, I'm not sure. Although, on a side note, I'll take Harryhausen's Medusa any day over this strangely attractive one. Anyway, when I completed watching the film I was left feeling unsatisfied, while it had some great and interesting scenes and often captured some of the feel of the old one (as well as other Harryhausen films) probably due to Lettier's direction, ultimately, as I already stated, it just didn't come together as a complete film for me. Sometimes thoughtful and interesting, other times simply mindless and attractive, all the time, unbalanced. One final note, the Greek/Christian fusion annoyed the crap out of me (and always has) why does Hollywood (Disney was responsible last time for a Greek story) insist on giving mythologies a "God of Abraham" bend? I don't get it. If you've studied Greek Mythology you already know the Greek Gods behaved as if they were living an episode of Dallas or Falcon Crest. The Greek Gods were the Poster Children for, and predated, the Seven Deadly Sins, why mess with that? At least the old version of Clash of the Titans got that part mostly right. Anyway, I digress. Worth a look but ultimately unsatisfying.

‹ Previous | 1 2 362 | Next ›

Clash of the Titans (2010)
Clash of the Titans (2010) by Louis Leterrier