4.0 out of 5 stars READ IF GOT WRONG DVD
Published on December 4, 2009 by QualityProductsAdvocate

2.0 out of 5 stars SHAMEFUL RELEASE FOR HOLIDAY CASH IN!
Published on November 11, 2008 by ! MR. KNOW IT ALL ;-b

2.0 out of 5 stars SHAMEFUL RELEASE FOR HOLIDAY CASH IN!, November 11, 2008
This review is from: Classic Christmas Favorites (Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! / The Year Without a Santa Claus / Frosty's Winter Wonderland / Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July) (DVD)
This is just another slap in the face to fans who grew up with these Rankin & Bass holiday classics! Fans of these specials have been wanting a complete box set done including all of these holiday gems, but instead we get a re-release of the same shows! Of course, we get 3 "never before available on DVD" specials only available on this set, so long time fans have to buy this set if they want the 3 new to DVD releases!?

To make matters worse 'Frosty and Rudolph's Christmas in July' is the same defective print where the voices are out of sync with the picture that was released a few years ago!

To make matters even worse than that, some copies have the wrong version of 'The Year Without A Santa Claus'!! I wish someone who cares about these films,, would pick up the ball and get these classic's done right!

Until then folks, I say leave this garbage in the bin and wait for someone who cares to release a proper set. Who wouldn't want a complete set of Rankin & Bass Holiday Classics totally restored?..... raise your hand!..............I thought so! :-D

4.0 out of 5 stars READ IF GOT WRONG DVD, December 4, 2009
I purchased this DVD set and, like many others, received the wrong The Year Without s Santa Claus. I tried to exchange, but it did not help. I than went to other store's reviews on the product where someone listed a number to call Warner for a replacement. I called and explained what happened and am told the right disk will be mailed out to me and I do not need to send anything back.

Here is the information:
Warner Customer Support 800-553-6937

I also mentioned that their preview on Disk 1 about this product shows The Little Drummer Boy II (not Pinocchio's Christmas) on this set. The person I talked to said they have not heard any complaints on this yet, so nothing happened here. If anyone does find out about this other problem, please write a review back. Thank you.

Rating reasons: 2 stars for bad quality control at factory, 4 stars overall, since Warner will replace disk without the hassle of having to pay for shipping the old set back. Can't give 5 because of the Little Drummer Boy issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars The same great story and songs but a terrible video transfer, November 3, 1999
By A Customer
I recently purchased this DVD and was immensely disapointed with the quality of the transfer. The colors were all over he place with the Grinch appearing as a yellow, then brown and finally slightly green creature. The transfer is terrible. I would not recommend it to anyone based upon this poor quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic shows, bad business practices, November 19, 2008
Depending on what you already own, this DVD collection is either the coolest thing ever or a huge disappointment. Everything here is an absolute classic and if you don't have them already, then you definitely should. "Classic Christmas Favorites" is a convenient and affordable way to pick them all up at an affordable price.

The problem is that this set continues an unfortunate practice of re-selling old material with a splash of new material that is available no where else, meaning that people who bought the previous releases are forced to buy them all over again if they want the other films. There is no way to buy the new material separately

It basically repackages three previously released DVDs, Rudolph & Frosty's Christmas in July, The Year Without a Santa Claus (Deluxe Edition)and Frosty's Winter Wonderland/Twas the Night Before Christmas. These are the exact same disks that you would have received before, with even the disk cover art intact.

The new material is included on the "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" disk. This is an odd choice, as this is the only non-Rankin/Bass release and of course, this Dr. Seuss treasure has seen a variety of releases, including a recent 50th Birthday Deluxe Remastered Edition special edition. Tagged onto the disk are three Rankin Bass rarities, "The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold", "Pinocchio's Christmas" and "The Stingiest Man in Town". All three are making their first appearance on DVD, and they are really what most people will be buying this set for. It is great to have them released at last, but I would have preferred an individual DVD.

There are still a few Rankin/Bass Christmas specials that have not had a DVD release, and I fear this being the wave of the future. The same problem happened with the Popeye and Batman cartoons (also by Warner Bros) series until definitive collections were finally released. Warner Bros just doesn't seem to get what fans want, and are more concerned with squeezing every possible dime out of their properties.

What I really want is a collection that gathers together all the Christmas specials together giving them the treatment they deserve, including putting the Rankin/Bass name up on top and giving them their due credit. That would make me really happy, even if it meant buying them for a third and final time.

3.0 out of 5 stars The colors would make anyone a Grinch!, November 30, 1999
I have always loved this classic Dr. Seuss animated film and awaited its arrival with great anticipation. And while the story is as endearing as ever, I am disappointed that the coloring on this transfer is terrible. The backgrounds are garish and too bright and the Grinch is the color of mustard instead of his true green color shown on the front of the case. In addition, the pencil tests are far too few and do not add any value to the disc. It is hard to focus on the splendid attributes of this title because of its few, yet glaring oversights. My advice is to wait for a better transfer to come out, or perhaps seek out the previous version on dvd which may be of better quality.

2.0 out of 5 stars the mustard brown grinch on dvd, November 28, 1999
By A Customer
I agree with both Chicago, IL and Boston, Ma reviews. The crystal clear DVD viewing of 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'was great but, WHY is the grinch not in his true green color! There are other greens in the picture so why not the grinch! Very perplexing we thought and it made the viewing very disappointing. WHAT GIVES! I would highly recommend buying the VHS version due to this disturbing error on the DVD version. I suppose the people who like the DVD version don't realize that the grinch in this version is an impostor! Even when he's green on the DVD cover AND main menu screen!

1.0 out of 5 stars A grinch of a different (and wrong) color, June 28, 2000
Oldest & Wisest (Alexandria, Virginia) - See all my reviews
My awful rating of this DVD is stricly intended to be that of the physical quality of this video transfer. The Grinch himself is worthy of five, six, a galaxy of stars!
But I must echo the comments of those viewers who have complained of the awful colors and hues of the DVD transfer. The Grinch is supposed to be GREEN not a dirty yellow. The colors are just fine on my old laserdisc version which I had hoped to replace with this new edition. No such luck. I'm hanging on to my laserdisc till my player gives out and I dumped this abomination on ebay as fast as I could. I did feel a little guilty about sticking someone else with this turkey, but as some of the other reviews indicate, some people just can't tell the real deal from a shoddy copy. Well, if Whoville hadn't been filled with people like that, the Grinch would never have brought off his coup!
My advice is, wait a while and hope that a new "remastered" version will be brought out eventually, so the publisher can have a facesaving way to correct their error.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Everyone Who Got The Wrong "A Year Without A Santa Clause", December 3, 2009
If you purchased the Classic Christmas Favorites boxed set and have the 2006 live action remake of The Year Without a Santa Claus instead of the Rankin-Bass version, you can call Warner Customer Support at 800-553-6937 and they'll send you the correct version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, but why didn't Warner go all-out??, November 5, 2008
Erik Morton "Erik Morton" (Carmel, CA United States) - See all my reviews
It's wonderful to see all these Christmas specials in one package, and particularly the three that were previously unreleased on DVD ("The Leprechauns' Christmas Gold," "Pinocchio's Christmas," and "The Stingiest Man In Town."

NOW, as far as I know, there are only three Rankin/Bass Christmas specials not available on DVD: "The First Christmas," "The Little Drummer Boy, Book II," and "The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus."

All of which are owned by Warner Bros. SO, why did Warner skimp out on us and not include these three as well?? PLUS, they simultaneously released a new deluxe edition of "Jack Frost," which is awesome, but again, why didn't they bother to put it into this boxed set? They could have EASILY fit those three other specials onto the same disc.

Of course, from a sales standpoint, the answer to all these questions is obvious: give the public a little more of what they want each holiday season, and they'll just keep buying and rebuying ad infinitum. But this is seriously getting old, Warner. Why not just give us everything you've got at once, and stop being the REAL "stingiest man in town?"

Complaints aside, this is a wonderful set for anyone who doesn't own any of these specials. If you own last year's Christmas Television Favorites boxed set, you might want to hold out until next year when Warner is sure to pull another double, triple, fourple-dip on us. Hopefully then we'll get those other three specials, plus Jack Frost, all in one big Christmas DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch !, June 28, 2000
Brenda L Privara (Akron, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Since I was 12 years old I have looked forward to seeing the annual telecast of How the Grinch Stole Christmas on tv. Now that I own the video I have watched this ageless animated classic so many times I've had to replace the video twice ! The main character is the Grinch - he's lean and green and OH SO MEAN ! But he has a charm all his own and he decides to steal Christmas away from the sweet little folks in Whoville so he won't have to tolerate their singing and happiness. He steals their trees and toys and decorations -- even their Who Roast Beast and the last can of Who Hash ! But still the spunky little Who folk celebrate Christmas by holding hands and singing joyfully. I get a lump in my throat EVERY time the moment comes where the Grinch realizes he HASN'T stolen Christmas after all. Christmas is a season of the heart -- you can't buy it in a store or hang it on a tree. Buy the video and share this wonderful classic with anyone from age 2 to 92 ! I guarantee they will love it. I am 43 years old and I plan to watch it again when I go home from work today. Just writing this review makes me want to enjoy the video all over again !

Rate and Discover Movies