5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating !!!
Published on May 2, 2010 by Hammer + Jazz

3.0 out of 5 stars Some funny shorts, some are just strange
When I first saw this collection, I thought the shorts were all from 1948, and was surprised when they started discussing waiting for sex, and more adult themes from the 60s-80s.

Published on October 14, 2009 by K. Heerschap

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating !!!, May 2, 2010
This review is from: How To Be A Woman (Classic Educational Shorts Volume 2) (1948-1982) (DVD)
Yes , there are a lot of funny things from previous decades in these educational films . I would think this would be an excellent disc to play at a large gathering or party . It's a very stimulating conversation prompter . As a huge fan of fiction films from previous decades i feel this is an absolutely fascinating glimpse at clothing , hairstyles , posture , conduct , screen writing and so on from these times past . I don't know if it'll be you're thing but you certainly owe yourself at least a rental if curious . Strongly recommended .

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting films, March 19, 2010
This collection of old educational films can be funny and bothersome at the same time. In some cases I found I was learning WAY more than I really needed to. Still, a good product and well worth watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars blast from the past, January 30, 2010
These "health" films from my childhood were a blast from the past, to say the least. It is amazing how much women have progressed in their lifestyles and roll in the family. This was totally enjoyed as well by my daughter, who is 28. It was a real cultural eyeopener for her. I recommend the companion films on "How to be a Man", especially to compare the differences between how boys and girls were raised. Good for a laugh and a peek at how things were. I highly recommend these to anyone with a penchant for nostalgia!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some funny shorts, some are just strange, October 14, 2009

"Wonders of Reproduction" is basically a guy talking about how his fish reproduce (which has nothing to do with humans, and is kind of a let-down from the title). "Why Study Economics?" "Lets Make a Sandwich" "Growing Girls" (which actually does get into human reproduction, and the way women in the 40s/50s dealt with menstruation is pretty interesting)and "Pattern for Smartness" are probably the best on the disc. Notice how the Home Economics Teacher keeps showing up with her wise and womanly advice (an old maid at 26!).

The more contemporary ones are just flashy and weird. "Redbook 18-34" gave me a headache, and "Girls are Better Than Ever" was just stupid. "Attack" is worth a watch, just to see the Brown Belt 5'5" 100lb instructor with her heels and cat-eye glasses pummel the attacking man. It's especially satisfying when she finally gives him a kick to the groin.

Overall, I'd say it's worth watching, but not owning.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 50's, September 22, 2010
Ferret Fan (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
This is just too funny to watch. I forgot how repressed we all were.

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, February 7, 2010
I have not heard it but I gave it to friends for Christmas and they think it is very very funny. I first saw it recommended on a TV morning show.

How To Be A Woman (Classic Educational Shorts Volume 2) (1948-1982)
$19.95 $13.96
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies