Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on November 10, 2008
I've spent a lot of time at book stores paging through books to find one that had actual tutorials for the beginning oil painter. Most were either books that talked about types of brushes, mediums, techniques, etc. without any actual demonstrating, or they were more theory or about composition. While those more advanced ideas are crucial to creating good paintings, as a beginner, I was looking for a book that would get me started actually painting. Something to give me a feel for what the techniques are, and not just describing them.

This book covers everything from the color palette and preparing your surface, to the actual steps the author uses during the painting process. The text is not too wordy, but is in depth enough to give a clear understanding of what you are doing and why.

If you'd like to learn to paint with layers and glazes, this is a perfect starter book.
0Comment31 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2010
Don't listen to anyone dissapointed with this book. It's a great book for both beginners and more advanced artists. it has lots of demos and explanations. You just need to have patience to read those! I'm a more advanced artist ([...]) but I still find this book to be a high priority in my library of art books. I recommend it to my students because there is a wealth of useful information there. The artist focuses on painting still life only. there are no landscapes or people in here BUT still life is the easiest subject to paint and it's also infinite. You can rearrange the same things tons of time and paint those again. Jane gives you steps to follow to make a very realistic painting but it's up to you to have the patience to follow her advice.
0Comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2007
This book is for anyone wanting to learn step by step how to paint with oils. Written with the beginner in mind, there is still plenty of information for the more experienced painter. Must have for any painting library.
on December 29, 2008
This book is exceptionally well thought out with detailed information on every aspect of Jane Jones' painting process. She thoroughly describes every step in the creation of her paintings, beginning with materials, setting up a still life, glazing technique, etc. She also includes her thoughts about the process, describing WHY she makes the choices she does. As a former watercolor artist trying to make the change to oils, I found this book invaluable. Jane Jones is not only a wonderful artist, she is a wonderful writer/teacher.

Judy Jones (no relation)
on April 17, 2011
This is the book that you were hoping to find to learn how to integrate "old master" techniques into amazing still life! It is packed with beautiful, quality illustrations of the artist's beautiful work! I love this book and recommend it to anyone interested in creating amazing depth and detail using traditional glazing techniques with today's mediums and materials in oils. I love this book!
on September 15, 2009
The information in this book showed another interesting way to paint. I have adopted some of this author's methods for CERTAIN areas of my paintings... with great results. Good photographs, coherent explanations.
on December 6, 2010
I'd recommend this book to oil painters who love to glaze and make huge numbers of color swatches. It's for the highly organized and detail oriented painter.
on October 1, 2008
I am learning exactly what I wanted to know about traditional painting from Jane's easy to follow instructions. The book is beautifully printed and full of important information. One of the best books I've bought.
on August 26, 2012
THIS BOOK IS BY FAR THE BEST I HAVE READ ON THE SUBJECT...I HAVE BEEN PAINTING THIS STYLE FOR 45 YEARS AND I LEARNED A LOT....A MUST HAVE FOR ANY SERIOUS PAINTER
on November 22, 2014
So far he best book I have purchased! Her technique and detailed information is much appreciated! Her visual examples and color prints are awesome. Definitely worth the money, the time, and the determination to add some of her techniques to my paintings. Bringing back the old masters techniques is a plus and the author has done a great job explaining it step-by-step, easy to read and understand without confusion. Thanks for sharing and a well done job!