5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Shears
I work in a major trauma facility's emergency department. We are constantly cutting clothing off of victims from car wrecks, gun shots and stab wounds and the junk 4 dollar shears that I had been purchasing at the army surplus store were ruined usually weekly. I found myself purchasing 10 at a time and having to throw away shears weekly.

A year ago I found...
Published on January 19, 2011 by Kevn

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for some uses.
Published on November 4, 2010 by Gerald

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Shears, January 19, 2011
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)

A year ago I found these shears, and have been thoroughly impressed by them. They'll cut through things that other shears wont, and they dull so slowly that I've only had to replace them once! The rivet in the middle does loosen over time... but with how much of a work horse these things have become it's to be expected. The rest of the emergency department was so impressed with these things that I arranged a mass order. First time I ordered 35, and the second time I ordered 30. Since then I've seen things get pried, cut, etc. and have only seen one set break... and it wasn't the blade... it was the edge of the handle ;)

If you're in EMS these are shears that get the job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect trauma shears, May 27, 2010
A. Beer (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
These shears are perfect for Emergency Department staff, and EMS personel. I had a pair of these for about 2 years when I was an EMT and they cut perfectly from day 1 to the day I lost them at a paramedic clinical. They don't dull or break cutting things like the el cheapo shears do. Personally I think these shears would be extremely popular with EMS personel if it was marketed to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars tough scissors for tough jobs, July 25, 2010
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
Pros: Cut through 3/4" PVC tubing cleanly and safely. Treads where other scissors fear to go. These are far safer and more effective than most things advertised as tube or hose cutters.

Cons: none

Other thoughts: I should have purchased these years ago.

Update: Nearly 2 years later I broke these through the thumb piece cutting a notch in a plastic utility bucket for a power cord on a pond pump. This was my dedicated PC water-cooling scissors and the bucket is to clean parts. Before lecturing me, I realize these were not designed to cut a PVC bucket but they had not failed me yet. The blades are fine but the titanium metal inserts only a short way into the plastic thumb piece. If you are cutting something like a PVC bucket and can't control the angles well then it is easy to place too much force on the thumb piece. It snapped where the thumb piece becomes 100% plastic. The titanium blades remain fine but it no longer works as a scissor. I may order another pair because they are inexpensive and I really stressed them.

Perhaps the next upgrade is Kevlar cutting scissors/shears so will try those - never know when I may need to cut another notch in a utility bucket, LOL. I would not remove any stars. I like the one-handed control of scissors far better than larger chopping devices like pruning shears. And it is easier than getting out a power tool like a Dremel. It's under $10 too. Perhaps the bottom line is if you have to really squeeze to cut the material, then don't. Get something more robust so you don't break these nice scissors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, May 22, 2013
JNieporte (Ohio, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
These are intended to be used as trauma shears. For that, they're great. A lot of EMS supply houses sell varying brands of shears, most averaging $12-$16 for the good ones. This simple $10 pair outperforms almost all of them.

The stainless steel construction is nice and sturdy, but not heavy. The blades are titanium bonded, as mentioned. I've found them ideal for most EMT uses. snipping through jeans, cutting through leather jackets, removing bandages, and even cutting through zippers and denim that's been doubled-over and then stitched (think the bottom of jean pant legs). The bottom "arm" is blunted and folded to the side so you can slip it under clothes without injuring your patient. It works fine. The serrated portion does a good job of holding the material you're cutting, even slick tubing. I haven't noticed any loosening of the pivot, but if it does loosen, you can just peen it back with a hammer and small punch. I haven't noticed any corrosion, even around salt water, but I wipe mine down after use. The grip is nice. Most trauma shears have hard plastic handles, which can really irritate your hands when cutting through denim constantly. The soft rubber-ish material of these Clauss shears is more forgiving on your fingers.

These snips haven't bent or deformed in any use, but I'm not cutting hard metal with them either. Don't abuse them, and you'll be satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still working great!, October 5, 2012
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
I had a nice-looking pair of promotional shears that wore out in about 2 days. My company issued shears dulled after the first shirt. These cut through 4 layers of t-shirt cotton with a single snip. I am left handed, so I don't know if the blade surface is different (I needed left handed scissors in grade school to cut paper). I have no trouble cutting clothing left or right handed. I have a set for volunteer response, and I just bought a second pair for work.

UPDATE, 12/30/12: The second set had a problem. After 2 or 3 uses, the rivet opened up so that the blades did not close tight against one another. I contacted the company directly, referenced the lifetime warranty, and they IMMEDIATELY replaced the pair with no hesitation.

No other problems with the first or second pair since then. Twice now I have been able to cut through jeans, long underwear, and boxer shorts in one snip without much effort.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for some uses., November 4, 2010
Gerald (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
I bought these to use in my clinic and a set to use with my scuba Divemaster kit. These snips work great on things like paper and plastic and clothing but the course nature of the serrated cutting surface causes them to snag when cutting gauze or kling rolls. For use as utility scissors I would give a five, for clinic shears I would give them a one, that is why my overall rating is a three. For the clinic the fluoride coated shears are definitely the way to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clauss Snips, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
High quality, I work in an ER and these worked great for removing clothing, cutting bandages, boxes, casts, about everything. They did great but after a couple weeks they started getting loose and then they were stolen. Great product, not perfect because they did start loosening up, absolutely worth the cost though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Snips but not great for everything., May 24, 2013
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
These snips work great on a lot of things except what I bought them for. These do not work well with bandages or gauze. They get snagged in the perforations on the snips. Will be buying a pair of stainless steel scissors. I will keep these for other uses because they work well.
Tom

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Shears, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
Although I now use my Benchmade rescue hook more than I use my bandage scissors when I am in a Trauma, there are just some things you need bandage scissors for.

These are probably the best trauma shears I have ever used. They are well built, lightweight, and sharp. I have cut through a thick leather belt effortlessly with these.

In my opinion they are worth the extra few dollars over the cheapo shears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Trauma Shears, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" (Lawn & Patio)
Used for my Emergency Department rotation.
Used for my Trauma Surgery rotation.
Always useful because chances are you'll have something that needs to be cut when you least expect it during any emergency medicine/surgery clerkship/residency.

Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7"
$11.99 $9.49