5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging stuff, and it only gets better!
Published on June 15, 2006 by Patrick IJIMA-WASHBURN

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, not a look
Published on March 12, 2011 by Sofia Novozilova

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging stuff, and it only gets better!, June 15, 2006
This review is from: Claymore, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
I'm a Claymore fan. I'm recently reading the 10th book in Japanese and I'm loving it. When I first saw this comic, I knew right away that I was going to like it. It reminded me of "Gunm"(Battle Angel Alita) in that it appeared to be a pure action piece but actually had much deeper themes. I have to admit that the art in the first few volumes isn't perfect, but like Rumiko Takahashi who found her stride somewhere in the middle of "Urusei Yatsura" (Lum), you can recognize a huge difference in creator Norihiro Yagi's art (yes, it's Yagi, not Yago) when you get to #6. Maybe earlier, but it really hit me at #6. I hope Viz continues to put this out in English as this title deserves a wide fan-base. The pace is slower for this comic to come out in book form because it is published in the Monthly Shonen Jump (as opposed to Weekly Shonen Jump). Monthlies tend to have more mature, less commercial titles and are therefore usually more interesting. When they hit book form, they are packaged just like the weekly books however and so tend to get some prime shelf-space.

I had to snicker at the Publisher's review of the comic being 'pleasant' though. There is hacking, slashing, and a lot of bleeding, but it's stylized enough not to be gory (bloody, yes; gory, no). No cutesy stuff either. No animal side-kicks, no easily packageable fluff. Just great story, great art (trust me, it does get better), and great characters. I only wish the books came out faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indepth Video Review for Claymore (vol 1), April 26, 2012
Length:: 9:49 Mins

(reuploaded with fixed video)
Here is my video review on the first volume of Claymore by Norihiro Yagi.
Please let me know if this video was useful and stay tuned for upcoming videos where I will be reviewing the rest of the series as well as other manga titles. I have collected over 1400 volumes of manga and I am looking to put my past experiences to use in helping people read new titles. Help save the manga industry!

Score:
Story- 8.8
Art- 9.0
Characters- 8.3
Overall- 8.7

I also review other manga on my Youtube Channel:
[...]

Blood the Last Vampire: Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
Berserk: Berserk, Vol. 1

Description of Claymore by Viz(found on the Back of Volume 1):

In a world where monsters called Yoma prey on humans and live among them in disguise, humanity's only hope is a new breed of warrior known as Claymores. Half human, half monster, these silver eyed slayers possess supernatural strength, but are condemned to fight their savage impulses or lose their humanity completely.

Silver-Eyed Slayer
A village is gripped by fear and paranoia when a Yoma claims six lives. The Claymore who is sent to slay the creature isn't what the villagers expect at all. In fact, she seems more monster and human.

5.0 out of 5 stars Episodes 1&2, for those following the anime, June 19, 2011
Claymore, Vol. 1 / 9781421506180

I've actually watched the complete Claymore anime first before getting into the manga; when I started deconstructing the incredible anime series on my blog, a kind reader was nice enough to mail me the first five manga volumes as supplemental material. I wasn't sure how closely the anime followed the source material, but so far it's been a very close match, with some extra (and delightful) details available in the manga.

I really love the artwork in this volume -- the drawings are black-and-white, and manage to be very detailed but with a consistently 'clean' simplicity that I find really appealing. The original formatting of the Japanese book was maintained instead of flipped, so you do have to read right-to-left and back-to-front with this volume. The right-to-left reading is a fairly simple adjustment for my eyes (though I do sometimes forget when I drop down a panel), but the back-to-front reading was a bit harder for my hands to get used to -- it's hard to shake years of muscle memory at the drop of a hat, but in this case it's worth it.

Volume 1 provides the following scenes:

Scene 1: Silver-eyed Slayer
Scene 2: Claws in the Sky
Scene 3: Memory of a Witch
Scene 4: The Black Card

For those following along with the anime series, this volume corresponds to:

Episode 1: The Great Sword (An adaptation of Scene 1 and Scene 3 from the manga.)
Episode 2: The Black Card (An adaptation of Scene 4 with an opening shot illusion to Scene 2.)

This volume follows the introduction of Clare and Raki, their meeting one another, a decision to journey together, and the receipt by Clare of Elena's black card. If you liked the anime series, I am certain you'll like this manga volume; I recommend it for extra detail and backstory on the Claymores and their organization.

~ Ana Mardoll

5.0 out of 5 stars Claymore: Knights with Silver Eyes, February 26, 2009
Amazon Customer (Fort Wayne, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claymore, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
Claymore first came to my attention via the scanlation exchange community. I'm a sucker for a woman warrior story, especially a story that has such a compelling heroine as Clare. I soon became enamored of the series not only for its original blending of archetypes that so uniquely identifies Japanese manga, but for the depth of its world building and character development.

The story revolves around Clare, a female warrior whose whole existence is given over to hunting Yoma, shape-shifting monsters who devour human entrails to survive. In the first story arc, we meet Raki, a young boy who encounters and is fascinated by Clare when she comes to his town upon request to eliminate a suspected yoma infestation. During the course of her mission, Clare eliminates the yoma but her actions inadvertently cause the townsfolk to reject Raki. Thus, the two end up journeying together and the true adventure begins.

To say that Claymore is fantasy is incorrect. In later volumes, it becomes clear that Claymore is, in fact, a slipstream story. There are hints in the art and supporting characters presentations that foreshadow this, but the hard facts have only just come out in the scanlated serializations.

As I mentioned, the characterizations are what keep me drawn into Claymore. Clare and Raki's relationship is very endearing, all the more so given Clare's desperate struggle to resist the inhuman "modifications" that she has been subjected to which allow her to fight the yoma. Raki's devotion to Clare and her own tenderness and concern toward Raki (which happens despite her attempts to avoid them), drive the pair down a long road of hardships and separation. Clare's own back story is heart-wrenching, and even the supposed "villains" are shown to have not sprung from the background "whole-cloth", but rather to be human beings who all came down through harsh experiences to land where they are.

I think the fact that the story starts out more or less simply with a few mysteries that then deepen and broaden above and beyond the spheres of influence of the immediate characters also pulls me in and keeps me going. This is not to say that the story or art are perfect. There are a few "gimme's" that are somewhat hard to swallow in the plot and how Norihiro-sensei draws human heads, hair, and faces can, at times, be joltingly bizarre. However, in the overall view, there is such depth in all the details of the story and graphics that you can easily lose yourself sifting through it all.

Another point that keeps me reading the story is the innate nobility of Clare and her friends. Some Claymores succumb to the temptation to cruelty. Other even give into the alien flesh inside them and become "Awakened Ones", a sort of super-yoma evolution of Claymore. However, Clare and her companions fight to retain their humanity and protect what they can. This resonates deeply with me in that it doesn't paint the world completely black and white, but rather acknowledges the role that personal responsibility and choice play in how we find our places in the scheme of things. This level of insight raises Norihiro-sensei quite high in my esteem.

This is a seinen manga, intended for male readers. Women may find the overly endowed heroines and frequent nudity off-putting, although the fact that women are presented as the only "stable" platforms for anti-yoma weaponry may assuage the more overtly feminist. Regardless, the story is telling in terms of emotional content and lack of cliche in plot. It truly is an original concept worthy of having on your shelf.

Additional pictures and reviews available at [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, not a look, March 12, 2011
This review is from: Claymore, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
After reading five of the books from this manga series, I can tell this will be a fairly interesting plot line and I look forward to getting through the rest of it. However, the art leaves something to be desired. It's mainly the human faces I have trouble with... the main characters are done well enough, but the rest all look mildly deformed or indistinguishable. On the whole, most the human forms are not very proportional and the artist seems to have trouble with foreshortening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth your time, April 17, 2006
This review is from: Claymore, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
I could not believe this when i saw it. It was great.

First of all a claymore is a human who has drunk a monsters blood in order to become half monster so that they can seek out and destroy these human possessing monsters. Only Females live through the process.

In the first chapter you get a sense when she first shows up she is a heartless monster. But later on through the book you see that she has a kinder heart than you might think.

It has a very dramatic/action/adventure plot and great characters that have deepening stories to be told.

I reccomend this to anyone who is interested in something new and exciting. This is not for younger children. It has Blood/language/partial nudity/violence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparatively weaker art but good story, November 10, 2007
dream28 (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claymore, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
The good: Story is interesting fast paced and makes you wonder what will happen next You can't put it down.

The bad:The artist has probably excelled at drawing female portraits and posing females. The male characters look like children's drawing e.g. all character faces in this book look like females be it men or boys, which will take some time for you to get used to. Even the monsters look like females ... You will immediately see the quality of work between a male drawing and a female drawing in this series, one is professional the you other looks relatively amateurish. The other weak point is that the artist is strong in poses but in battle scenes most drawings look like rigid poses which seem awkward and don't convey the fast action. The artwork leaves you wanting.

Conclusion: Despite the flaws and anatomical errors in art the story is interesting and you easily overlook the other issues and accept it as series' trademark. I started with vol.1 last week and already bought vol.5 . I hope the artist will get better and give everyone a distinct face and improve the action scenes but even if he doesn't I'll finish this series anyway.

Update: Well I finished 10.... After 10 volumes, all you have is endless battles and a minor progress in the story. It gets too repetitive and monotonous to look at pictures which only has sound effects.... and then you read 5-10 pages of actual story to conclude each book. I can read a book that has sword wielding claymores hitting some enemy with thud! crash! etc kind of effects for a while, but to actually create entire 10 volumes out of this material is not right.
Consequently my new vote is a 2 because of the artists exaggerated focus on drawing endless battles in each volume and his inexplicable refusal to put a little more emphasis on the story. The whole story up to volume 10 could be condensed into one book- the remaining 9 volumes is just fighting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the anime and manga, June 18, 2014
the anime is really good and so far the manga is even better love it and my new kindle. g

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, May 25, 2014
Excellent book with a interesting main character and premise. I got into this by chance after it was recommended to me. I love books like Conan the barbarian and berserk so this is right up my alley. I love the art work as well and am a big fan of black and white comic books. I used to love the large black and white Conan comic books they did years ago. I really can not think of any thing I did not like about this issue and would recommend this book to pretty much any one who likes strong female characters and good entertainment.

It might not be for every one as it is somewhat violent .people do get killed and eaten by yoma and there is plenty of blood and sword play. Some squeamish people might not like it and perhaps some over protective parents may nit want their kids reading it. Other wise it is an excellent book that many would enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed with great characters and an interesting world, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Claymore, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
I was excited to start reading this manga series. I originally watched the anime series for Claymore. My husband has been reading the manga for a while and kept asking when I was going to read it. This book was an excellent opening to this series, I really enjoyed it. Right now there are 24 volumes in the Claymore series.

This volume follows the first anime episode very closely. It is an excellent introduction to Claire and the demon fighting Claymore. The demons are called Yoma, and in this book we learn about the Claymore’s role in society and how the Claymore become these powerful demon-fighters.

It is a very engaging world with characters you really care about...and of course some awesome fighting scenes between Claymore wielding women and evil demons.

Yagi does an excellent job of humanizing Claire and making us care about her. This isn’t all about kicking Yoma butt (although there is a lot of this). We learn about the sacrifices the Claymore make in their effort to protect humanity and we learn how painful it is for them to leave some of their humanity behind.

The illustration throughout is very well done, I really enjoyed it. Some of the scenes are beautifully detailed. I never had trouble recognizing characters or following the story.

This is a traditional Japanese manga, so you read from back to front and right to left.

Overall I really enjoyed this first installment in the Claymore manga series. Excellent world-building, explosive fight scenes, and characters I actually care about make for a wonderful read. This is highly recommended if you like action-packed dark fantasy manga. I can’t wait to see what volume two holds.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Claymore, Vol. 1
Claymore, Vol. 1 by Norihiro Yagi (Paperback - April 4, 2006)
$9.99 $8.14