5.0 out of 5 stars Travel in the shoes of Irish Journeymen Musicians, May 26, 2011
James Davison (Nashville, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clean Cabbage in the Bucket and Other Tales from the Irish Music Trenches (Paperback)
Irish music is rooted in the deep mythology of Western culture, and those performers who have made it a career stand apart from most other pop musicians working today. These men are lifelong professionals, world-wise, laconic and committed to an art form that has changed little in the last century. As our world goes through convulsions of changes in styles, musical fads and technological mumbo-jumbo, there is something deeply reassuring about hearing the reflections of these artists who have immersed themselves in the deeper culture of Irish music. Unsurprisingly they are intelligent men with insights and experiences that often prove fascinating. Clean Cabbage in the Buckets is not an autobiography or stuffy history of music, but is a collection of short stories from the road by five musicians -- brilliantly edited and condensed by Dennis O'Rourke. It is a chance to travel in the shoes of an Irish musician on a day-to-day basis, and to meet the men who calmly deal with the gritty reality of their jobs. After reading this book, you will be glad that there are a few left who choose to carry on this tradition, and the next time you hear an Irish song, you will listen with a renewed sense of appreciation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating personal stories by five Irish musicians/entertainers of their always interesting, often humorous life experiences., March 2, 2010
Clean Cabbage in the Bucket was co-authored by Frank Emerson, Seamus Kennedy, Robbie O'Connell and Harry O'Donoghue as well as Dennis O'Rourke. This is a wonderful book I had the good fortune of Seamus Kennedy signing following a gig he had done in February 2010 at the 18th Annual Irish Festival in Savannah, Georgia. "Dana and Andy--always keep your cabbage clean" he inscribed to myself and my husband. My husband, of good German-Irish descent and I (a proud Lithuanian-American) had come to Savannah in the fall of 2005 after meeting in Germany in the summer of 1999 and courting in the immensely popular Irish pubs in the Wiesbaden area. (I subsequently married this now retired soldier in the spring of 2000). Needless to say, we were quite enamored with Irish music and that continued on to the United States. In fact it wasn't long until we discovered Kevin Berry's Irish pub on River Street and started to enjoy the music of Harry O'Donoghue and Frank Emerson. Honestly we weren't familiar with Robbie O'Connell and Dennis O'Rourke but their stories, like the other three are just as entertaining as their music.

I began reading the book to my husband in the car while we were driving to yet another day of the Irish festival. The stories of these Irish lads are so down-to-earth, so real, so personable and often so funny. There are serious moments, of course, because their stories are about their lives. They are five VETERAN Irish musicians, singers, song-writers who have lived a myriad of experiences and were not afraid to write them down for the world to see. Their willingness to share make them even more endearing to me. We look forward to the Tara Feis Irish Festival that will be held in Savannah on March 13, 2010 where we will have yet another opportunity to hear Frank Emerson and Harry O'Donoghue sing. We will also be looking forward to visiting Kevin Berry's again and again remembering that a number of the stories in this book are set there.

This book is a rare find and if you are an Irish music lover, a must have. I am so glad I purchased a copy of it. I will treasure it always.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is a little disjointed in the way it ..., July 13, 2014
This book is a little disjointed in the way it is put together, but the stories are worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really a great read., March 10, 2014
I've been fortunate enough to sit and talk with one of the authors and a pub owner mentioned in the book. We visit Kevin Barry's about twice a year. Our luck is with us and we typically watch and enjoy Harry perform. Harry will make time to sit and chat we us before and between sets when he can. He tells us stories that didn't make the book. We have listened to Frank as well. We were there one night with not many people in the dinning room. Frank's first words were, "Welcome to Kevin Barry's sidewalk sale. All furniture on sale." The rest of the show was just as good. When Vic is in house he is a warm but opinionated man. He too likes to share stories. We typically sit at the bar downstairs. This one day, Harry walked up to us and told us Vic is upstairs and wants us to join him for a 'sack' (a shot). So the group of us are there at he bar talked and having a really good time. We stayed awhile and then returned to our drinks downstairs. But back to the book, it really is a good read. As a collection of short tales, it is easy to read in short sittings. The tales are amusing and seem honest. I would recommend this to a friend, in fact I bought another copy to give to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, January 12, 2012
If you are a lover of Irish music and more importantly Irish entertainers, then this book is a must read. Each author tells their stories scattered throughout the book, and in his own way is witty, funny and at times serious. Of the five, I only know Seamus Kennedy, but it hardly matters if you know any of them. Their stories are universal. Read it!

Clean Cabbage in the Bucket and Other Tales from the Irish Music Trenches