Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on March 2, 2014
I was extremely disappointed with this book. I wonder if the word "clean" was added just to sell more books. Ingredients like canola oil, reduced fat mayonnaise, cream of anything soups and gelatin are not considered clean eating by most people.
on February 5, 2013
So I bought this book, excited that there was finally a product out there for clean eaters that had quick and easy to make recipes. After looking through this book, it is clear that this book is not that book.

My observations -

* Almost all of the recipes have 10 or more ingredients - if I'm chopping up something or frying this and mixing together that - it takes me far more than 30 minutes to pull all of that together. I don't cook at top speed like I'm a Top Chef contestant.

* There is a lot of reliance on whole grain tortilla chips and pita chips in the appetizer section. I personally don't think these qualify as "clean eating" - why not give us a good substitute for these processed foods? Just because it's "whole grain" doesn't mean its good for our bodies.

* She uses corn tortillas and whole wheat pasta in quite a few recipes - same complaint as above - why are there so many recipes relying on these processed foods?

* While it says "most recipes take just 30 minutes or less" I'm not quite sure where that claim is coming from - from my review of the book, a few recipes take 30 minutes or less (and I'm suspicious of even those) and the rest take an hour or more.

I was excited to get this book, but it was such a let down. I can save you some money and frustration by telling you to just buy regular cookbook and substitute whole wheat and low-fat ingredients for the regular ones.
22 comments|240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2013
The recipes do indeed look good and use mostly healthy ingredients. Though the recipes sound delicious, they seem very time consuming to make. I was looking for some healthy weeknight dinners that I could quickly put together: I don't have an hour to cook each night. In addition, the ingredient lists are quite substantial. I believe it would take a lot of time just to get all of the ingredients together. I also am not a fan of the heavy use of cooking with grapeseed oil, which is filled with heat unstable polyunsaturated fats. The bottom line is that I may use a few recipes from the book, but they will be reserved for weekend dinners. I've decided that I should probably go to the bookstore to buy cookbooks from now on because if I had seen the recipes in advance, I probably wouldn't have bought it.
on May 8, 2013
My family of 2 adults, 2 preschoolers and a toddler has tried nearly a third of the recipes in this book, mostly the meatless mains and side dishes. There have only been 2 marked to never make again. A few have only been hits with the adults but most have been good for everyone. Some of the recipes are quite involved and have lots of prep work (plan ahead for chopping etc) but most are easily done in 30-45 minutes.
on October 20, 2013
I was looking for a cookbook that filled my needs to cook healthy food for myself and my family, didn't require multiple and/or exotic ingredients, and didn't take major time to create. This cookbook is it. While I haven't tried all of the recipes, we definitely have favorites that we and others have enjoyed tremendously. A few have more time and ingredients than I'd use, but overall I'm very happy with it. I like a cookbook that has not a ton of recipes but just the right amount of variety, tastiness, and healthiness. Most others I've tried have only a handful of recipes that fit that bill; this was a terrific gift and one I would have purchased for myself.
on March 16, 2014
Recipes contain ingredients that are on the "no" list if you are doing The Clean. But ok for every day cooking
on April 11, 2013
I was very pleased with the selection of tasty (and health-conscious) dishes in this book. First dish I prepared was the Kale & Carrot Slaw with Ginger Vinaigrette. Prepared, this is a delicious, wholesome, and light dish to add to any meal. I'm excited to try more of these delicious looking dishes!
on September 27, 2013
I found this book at B&N about a month ago while perusing through the cookbook section. At just a quick glance (my husband was trying to blast me out of there), I saw a lot of promise in the recipe selection and I have not been disappointed. This book offers several types of recipes from meat based entrees to a pre-made pasta salad that can be a reach-and-grab item for several days--great for the last minute meal dilemmas! Some of the recipes are time consuming like the calzones (but totally worth it!) but most can be prepared and on the table within 30-40 minutes. A few of the recipes call for processed ingredients but if you're motivated you can make your own. Most of the ingredients are readily available with a few exceptions, chickpea flour for example, but if you can find it, the chocolate cake is great. The author relies heavily on grapeseed oil but since I am a firm believer in variety and moderation in all things, I just use whatever I think would be appropriate flavor-wise for the dish. The only recipe that didn't work for me were the brownies. I don't know what I did wrong but they were bad, although our chickens didn't seem to think so. Everything else has been great. Just made the meatloaf last night and my six year old said it was the best ever! How's that for praise!
on February 6, 2014
This book was a recommendation from my sister.
The author was spot on with the titles and who she is gearing this book towards.
Pros:
Great, delicious, recipes that are not too hard
Extremely healthy, light and exciting food,...but delicious!
Stretches your culinary experience to include new spices and ways of cooking dishes. *** This can be positive, BUT if you are unfamiliar with certain ingredients, your cooking time can be extended. For example, I never cooked with 5 Chinese Spice and it wasn't second nature to me. It came out awesome!

Cons:
Not too sure if this is "kid friendly"
on April 19, 2015
This is a great recipe book, if you like cilantro. Cilantro tastes like soap to everyone in our family, so I've had to alter a lot of the recipes. However it did give me some good ideas for more clean eating. Cilantro lovers, buy this and cook great meals for your families.