Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Clean Energy Nation: Freeing America from the Tyranny of Fossil Fuels
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on August 3, 2011
I tend to avoid controversy so I do not do politics. So hoping this review is not too political.

The author is a Congressman so politics are a part of the book.

Environment should not be a political issue. It just seems obvious. We should not destroy the planet. It should be the common goal that unites.

I smiled at the bumper sticker - "Earth First - We can destroy the other planets later". Of course it was on an SUV.

The book covers the history and stats of climate change. McNerney is a politician so he delves into the politics(which are appalling). He has a good chapter on Hubbard's peak( the time when we hit peak oil production).

There is a great chapter on energy and national security.

I also liked the chapter on public health. Over 50% of US electricity is produced by coal.

What I have learned is people are primarily economic driven - not "feel good" or "social good". This means for true change to happen, there needs to be the right policy. Tax energy use - do not subsidize it. I am discouraged by US politics and worry that no politician will be brave enough to do the right thing for the environment.

His prognosis is scary if we do not fix policy and the environment.

It is a worthwhile book. Read it.