4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Starting Point--No Supplements Required
I read a bunch of reviews before doing this diet but still had some doubts and questions. I got the book and followed it anyway, and based on my experience I think the following may be helpful to others:

Published 24 months ago by multiscan

3.0 out of 5 stars Program works, recipes need major editing
I used the Clean program for the full three weeks and it definitely works. I feel better, have more energy and lost weight. It also wasn't difficult to do, especially once I found a few recipes I liked and repeated.
Published 15 months ago by Agammer

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Starting Point--No Supplements Required, September 2, 2012
This review is from: Clean -- Expanded Edition: The Revolutionary Program to Restore the Body's Natural Ability to Heal Itself (Paperback)

I was probably 30-35lbs. overweight. I really, really wanted to make a change, and I saw "Clean" as a nice, extreme kick-off to what I thought would be a long and difficult struggle back to both fitness and a permanent change. I followed the program for the most part for a month, and the results were good. It turned out NOT to be very extreme at all, which was great. My partner was willing to give it a try too, and it was fun to have someone to collaborate, commiserate, and joke about it with.

Making the 1-month commitment made it easy to also commit to upping my activity levels (mostly biking: 2, then 3-4 times a week). I also checked some books out of the public library and read a lot of basic stuff about diet, exercise, and nutrition. And I saw the diet as an opportunity to learn to cook and appreciate new foods. Eventually, I started in on a long-standing goal of learning to cook Thai and Vietnamese food--both of which fall pretty much squarely on the side of the diet's "allowed" foods. I think what I'm saying is, it helped to build a bunch of smaller goals and interests into this thing--though it would not have worked to try to set everything into motion from the beginning; things kind of evolved as the month carried forward.

By the month's end I started feeling a LITTLE BIT more energetic from day to day, and a LOT better about my ability to take charge of this area of my life--so much so that I've started applying some of what I learned in that month to other areas. I broke some bad dietary habits, and I added a LOT of veggies to my diet. And I lost 16 lbs. In the following 2 months I added some of the eliminated foods back in though in smaller amounts than before, and continued exercising and eating lots of vegs, smaller portions etc., and lost around 6 lbs. a month.

As others have said, the core of the diet is habit-alteration, and an "elimination diet". But what is the latter? It's the diet that clinics ask people who need testing for food allergies to get on in advance of the testing. You cut out everything that many people are allergic to. Then you eat foods that aren't on that list. And you eat less--though there's no need to starve yourself as some reviewers apparently did. And, after 21-30 days, you will have developed some new eating habits, tracked down a lot of new, healthier recipes, changed some of how you socialize (in my case overeating and somewhat over-imbibing), and started feeling better--physically and emotionally.

If you ALSO lose weight, and you probably will, Great! But the primary goal should be changing how you eat and increasing your activity level--i.e. correcting the reasons you probably got fat in the first place.

For people who are as put off by fads, commercial hype, programs, proselytizing as I am:

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY SUPPLEMENTS. The book unfortunately hypes them because Dr. Hunger (or is it Younger?) is selling an expensive and unnecessary sack of them for hundreds of dollars. You don't need other posters' list of "natural" replacements either. The big box of special Diet Stuff is shake powders and vitamins and Colon Blow (remember the SNL skit?) for people who want their rear end to have a mystical experience, or who want to get as close to a magic diet pill as possible instead of altering their behaviors. It's kind of lame Dr. Younger is hawking that stuff, because it goes against the book's basic approach, which is to change how you think about, select, and consume foods; not just drop pounds.

I did buy a barrel of pricey protein powder for breakfast shakes and a bunch of other FOODS that I did not previously keep on hand the night before I started in. But I did not--and the book doesn't actually insist that you do--buy any supplements or the fannytastic Clean "KIT" (that's my last scatological joke, I promise).

Also, for those who think this might be too difficult or extreme: after a week and a half I went down to just 1 breakfast shake (rather than the Slim Fast-like recommendation of 2 shakes and 1 meal per day) because the shakes were getting dull, and I couldn't see a difference between drinking some low-GI carbs, protein, and fats for lunch in shake form and just eating them.

In sum, though I found most of its rationales ranged from under-articulated, to corny, to outright-laughable, the book's basic program is good. I benefited the most from taking on, and completing the 1 month challenge, and now, 3 months after starting in on it, I have healthier routines and habits and have dropped a significant # of additional pounds.

2013 P.S. Apparently some respondents mistook my suggestion that supplements are not required for this 'cleanse' as an attack on supplements and their users (and maybe more to the point: sellers?). The idea there was simply that hype and obfuscation aside, you don't need either the book's pricey bunch of stuff OR other reviewers' slightly less pricey bunch of stuff. You can just eat nutritious, readily-available, easily-prepared, and significantly cheaper food--in either liquid or solid form--if you so desire.

Given that eating off the 'cleansing' list took no more or less time than eating in a regular way, I don't see how or why the recommended pricey and sub-pricey stuff is a benefit, especially when one considers how tiring slurping up a thick, oddly-textured slurry for 2/3rds of their meals for 1-4 WEEKS must become. Doesn't matter how good that slush might taste; it would still depress and demotivate me. And that's not going to help one build the recipe bank and excitement about eating healthier foods one needs to keep losing weight/keep weight off over the long term. But: if glugging shakes and popping pills floats your boat, friends, by all means don't let my preference for cheaper, piquant, brightly colored, vari-textured, solid, semi-solid, delicious, and identifiable FOODS upset you.

In response to a couple others, just roll forward and you'll figure things out as you go. I felt awful and even weirdly scared on day 1, slightly hungry on day 2, but the rest was surprisingly easy. I should add that before, during, and after the 'cleanse' I gleaned a lot of bits of info. from reading or flipping through lots of books from the library on nutrition, weight loss, weight training, "brain health", food and mood, and sport-specific fitness (cycling). Though I'm omnivorous, I also found a lot of useful recipes from vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and to a lesser extent raw cookbooks and blogs. If you need to make stuff in more bulk quantities for lunches etc. vegetarian Indian food is great for that. And/or, though I hate to plug for any particular book, I found Tosca Reno's 'eating clean' books--readily available at your local public library no doubt--useful; especially her magic mini-cooler packing plans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finishing my second week of the cleanse and...., December 19, 2012
I must say i am very happy and satisfied. I will summarize all my perceptions of the book and the cleanse:

1. The book has a lot of repetive content but also has good information about food/pollutant reactions in the body and body detox info which is worth reading. What i found a little dissapointing is that the Dr. didn't add any references of medical studies of the statements he explained about so the book will have more credibility and medical support behind. For this fact i did not put 5 stars. But i want to say also that the book is very open and does not force you to do anything... the more you can, the better, if not then the little you are doing is already good.

2. I am a regular sugar/wheat/dairy products consumer but i am also fit, healthy, do sports often and eat good foods as well. Me and my husband always wanted to do a detox diet but we was afraid of doing something dangerous. We felt this one "fit our bill" and tried to do it. Funny thing: from all the food to include in this clease program, i knew only 50% of them and i was afraid i couldn't find those i knew.

3. I was surprised to find that in naturist/health stores they sell most of the foods i didn't know existed/i could find. I found also natural protein powder, pure greens powder, organic coconut water/milk/oil, stevia, you name it.

4. We live in Norway and I knew most of the vegetables and fruits I couldn't find them so easily organic, so i started with i had in hand. If i could find organic stuff great, if not, ... well, at least changing my old bad eating habits was a good step already!

5. The first 3 days are quite overwhelming because you need to find in advanced the food you need to prepare, to read the recipes, and you are ready to cook and then realized you didn't have this or that. But after the third day, you get used to it and you find it natural, it requires just a little planning and imagination as well (for the recipes). I started by doing the morning shakes and cleaning all the mess in 30 mins and now i do everything in 10 minutes. Also, in the beginning you tend to stick to the recipes and then you realize that you can adapt your own cooking recipes or style with the cleanse food/ingredients. Since many days ago i don't read the recipes.

6. first day i needed sugar horribly but after the second day the cravings faded. However, my husband had terrible sugar cravings the whole first week. I had nightmares the 4-5 day and probably felt a little tired those days but since then it is fine. My husband had headcahes, tiredness, coffee-sugar cravings and sometimes accute hunger.

7. I was not used to drinking something so heavy and powerful in the mornings so the first 2-3 days i was feeling liek throwing up after drinking the shakes and could barely drink half of it. My body got used to it and now I drink a better quantity and i enjoyed the drink.

8. The first week i was not feeling hungry and i was surprised to see how light i felt, how little i needed to eat to feel full and how much i enjoyed the shakes and the soups (making them, inventing them and drinking them).

9. I did regular sports and listened to my body a lot. I couldn't do as long as i usually do but i didn't regret it. I didn't feel a drop in energy. On the contrary, my energy increased, i was not feeling sleepy during the day. One bad thing is that we couldn't do sauna often... it would have helped even more.

10. Now we are on our second week. We both lost 3 kilos (6.5 pounds) but clothing size is the same and we were not overweight. I have no idea from where i lost that weight! I realized how much of the food i was eating affected me, specially my digestion.

11. Final comment: i recommend this, why? 1. Gives you knowledge about food, about your body and about the reactions that different foods have in your body. You don't feel hungry, you eat properly, you feel great and you feel changes. I recommend to do it in a period of your life when you are not stress or with overload of work (this is our current situation and makes cooking a little difficult sometimes) but you adapt easily to the foods and you adapt the foods into your own cooking style. Yes, it can be a little expensive... here in norway fruits are very expensive, but we eat much less and also waste much less food so in the end, the extra cost is minimal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, But Impressive Results, January 21, 2013
This was recommended to me by a friend. Plenty of people try liquid diets that are supposed to clean out your system, but I never tried any because it seems like they always provide mixed results and they seem very difficult to keep up.

First off, I've been a caffeine addict (via coffee) for five years. I've tried multiple times to quit, but never could. I had virtually ZERO energy without it and would get the withdraw headaches. So, the first way this book helped me is I FINALLY kicked my addiction (with no headaches)!

The second improvement I saw was losing weight around my gut (which has always been the hardest area). I started losing the weight after the first week and I wasn't even exercising during that time. My family was inspired and followed the meal plan as well. My father (in his early 70s) lost 10lbs. after two weeks.

The third way it helped is improving my taste for vegetables. Before I had a select few I would enjoy, now I can eat all sorts and actually like the taste.

There are a few downsides. For one, the way the book is written had me going back-and-forth a lot for the information I needed and it seemed like some pertinent info was just completely missing (Kindle issue?). 21 Days can be challenging when life 'gets in the way' but if you commit to it it's easily attainable. The other unfortunate thing is it can get expensive if you want to prepare a good variety of the recipes. What I had to end up doing is select my favorites and just rotate those. Lastly, the soup recipes were the only challenging meals to consume as far as taste and texture. Luckily, you can opt for juices instead.

Breakfast was easy and lunch was amazing! People would see my meals for lunch and couldn't believe something so healthy looked that good. The great thing is we didn't follow the recipes perfectly every time, but we got most of the key ingredients, so there seems to be some flexibility. It's hard to know if my cleanse was less effective as a result, but either way, I plan on rotating into this system periodically throughout the year to maintain my health.

I realize it's not perfect, but the Pros FAR outweigh the CONS so I think it deserves a 5 star rating. Hope this review helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars Program works, recipes need major editing, May 8, 2013
However, the author almost lost me after the first 2 smoothies I tried definitely had errors in the recipes. For example, the Creamy Blueberry Shake calls for "1.5 C of shredded coconut", but no liquid!!! I made this as I was making dinner for my family, so didn't read the ingredients fully before starting, and ended up adding coconut water but it was still totally inedible. I remade it with 1.5 C of coconut water and no shredded coconut and it was fine, but it was a total waste of 1.5 C of organic unsweetened shredded coconut! Then, the following morning, I choked down the Classic Green Shake which called for 2 T of mint-flavored liquid chlorophyll! The bottle says to use several drops, which I didn't read until after I had made the shake and knew something was very wrong with the recipe. As the chlorophyll was an expensive ingredient, I couldn't stand to waste it, especially on top of the coconut disaster, but 2 T of chlorophyll clearly is not what your body needs!
Some of the lunch recipes were way too complex, so I found a couple I liked and used them each for a few days, but eventually just looked at the idea of each and made my own, much simpler and less time-consuming meals. When you are already having to make separate meals for family and yourself, the last thing you need is to have to dirty up the kitchen for an entirely different meal, especially when your meal of the day is at a time when the rest of the family isn't home, so you can't easily share with them. I did make a dinner for the family a few times and save some for my lunch the next day, but that doesn't work well for fish and they weren't always interested in the recipes I had to choose from.
Also, I looked at the cost of the author's supplements and it was unaffordable for me, so I got the box 2-week Cleanse supplements from Trader Joe's (2 boxes) and used that for 3 weeks.
Overall, it works, but the recipes, which are really the heart of the program, need some very careful editing, and I would like to get the update sent to my Kindle when it is done. When I get a version that is properly edited, I will raise my rating from 3 to 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow I'm impressed, July 12, 2013
The short of it is, this works. I'm into my second week now and I have to admit I wasn't expecting to make it this far when I started this. The first few days were tough; I felt sick, I felt terribly tired (giving up caffeine will do that), and I felt like I had made a terrible mistake. Now I'm on day 10 and I've lost 15 pounds--and no that's not just water weight because I've also gone down 7% in body fat--my head is clearer, and I have a steady flow of energy throughout the day.

Now I have to admit that I don't think this man is going to be winning any prizes for his writing style. The book repeats itself and it takes a little too long to get to the detox program. If you can get past all of that what you're left with is a system that really does work. I've read through the negative reviews on here, and most of them seem to come from people who read the book then decided they didn't like it because it was some how bad science. Ironically, what I would call bad science is passively reading something, making a judgement about it, then writing a review about it without even so much as an attempt to try what is being proposed. Our understanding of nutrition is changing drastically every year, so to claim this book is bad science is laughable. Try it for yourself, be your own scientist, then come back and tell us what you think with some kind of an authority on the matter.

Everyone deserves to try this for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Changed My Life, March 10, 2013
Last year I was feeling pretty bad. I was 49 1/2 years old and feeling depressed and tired. My doctor's office recommended this book and I downloaded it to my Kindle right away. Dr. Junger's story is really interesting and I love that this plan is so science based. I also love that during the cleanse you have a liquid breakfast and dinner and eat solid food during the day. And I love that the book contains a list of supplements so that buying the kit is optional. I love that Clean has a website with recipes and blogs and lots of support. They have a toll free number and you can call a coach whenever you have a question free of charge.

By my 4th day on the cleanse I already started feeling better and had more energy. My cravings for wheat, sugar and dairy started to go away. By the end of the 21 days I was feeling better than I had in 20 years and I had lost 13 pounds. I've stayed on Dr. Junger's Elimination Diet for the past year with some minor adjustments to accommodate my bodies personal needs. I just completed my third cleanse. I've lost 50 pounds, I sleep through the night with no medication, I no longer have hot flashes, my heart rate and blood pressure are good and my blood work is perfect. I have an incredible sense of physical wellness. Friends ask me how I can continue to eat this way and don't I miss all the old foods. I continue to eat this way because it makes me feel good and because my body is really nourished I don't miss the old foods very often.

If you are on the fence about this plan I say buy the book. It is really interesting. Dr. Junger recommends that you commit for just one week to start. I think anyone can do anything for just one week. I guarantee you will be feeling so well after a week that you will keep on going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, October 30, 2012
This book made a lot of sense. I followed the cleansing without purchasing any of their products, I looked and felt better. I love their website too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Program, February 24, 2013
I happened across this book & the Clean program purely by chance, but I'm so glad I did. I have been having nagging little health problems for years that I instinctively believe could be managed without medication if I just knew (and actually DID) the right things.I work as a physical therapist & see the results of poor lifestyle choices every day and I'm determined to manage my own health better. In his book, Dr Junger explained the background of his program very well and it made a lot of sense to me. I have felt for a long time that my diet may be part of the reason for some of my issues. The ideas in the book resonated with me, and I think the timing was perfect---I was just ready, finally, to make drastic changes. Fortunately, at the time I discovered the book, I also found out about a group "cleanse" that would be taking place with support being provided by Dr Junger's "Clean Team" via Facebook. I joined the group and had a successful cleanse, losing 8 pounds and feeling so much better! The program is not a weight loss program, but of course most of it hope to lose some weight and I was so happy that I did. I have been unable to drop even a pound in the last year or two despite changing my diet & being extremely active.

The program requires that you make radical changes in your diet for a period of time in order to remove all foods that are known to cause problems (sensitivities, allergies, etc.). This is difficult if you've never done something like this before, but I got the hang of it. There was a steep learning curve and sometimes I just didn't know what to eat, but once I got into the program I found that I loved many of the new foods I was eating and I adapted to the routine quickly. I had to learn about new foods (new to me, like coconut nectar, kale, and others) but found that once I knew where to find them & how to prepare them, I loved them! My new favorite foods are kale chips, warm wilted greens, sauteed mushrooms, and roasted chickpeas. Go figure---this is from someone who was addicted to Diet Coke and Honey Nut Cheerios. It was extremely helpful to have the Facebook page and the weekly calls that supported those of us doing the group cleanse. People shared their triumphs, their struggles, new recipes, and tips. The Clean Team is incredibly responsive & supportive. I got all this for the ten bucks or so that I paid for the book.

The program IS centered around dietary changes, but is really helping you to begin a healthier, cleaner lifestyle that minimizes toxins and allows your body to function properly. My suggestion would be to read the book thoroughly to get an idea of what you need to do, then do a little additional research. You can buy a kit from the Clean Team that has all the supplements and protein packets, etc already prepared for you, but I did not do that. I read through the book, made some notes, researched products, checked out prices, and thought about what made the most sense for me. I made plans for what I would eat, did my initial shopping, and then went with the flow for the next few weeks. As I said, there was a steep learning curve for me, and it was sometimes hard to stick to the plan, but I did it and I'm better off for it. It did take a lot of time as I was learning about new foods, preparing meals in advance to take to work or on outings, and having trouble finding some foods that I'd never heard of or used before, but now I know.

After you do the cleanse, you reintroduce the foods that had been eliminated, one at a time. This takes another couple of weeks, but is extremely helpful. This idea had been suggested to me years ago by a naturopathic doctor, but I was not ready at that time. It's a big deal to do something like this (the whole program is about 6 weeks long), but it's the best way to find out if something you are ingesting is causing you problems.

I've been finished with the cleanse and the reintroduction process for a couple of weeks now. I find that I don't crave the things I was addicted to anywhere near as much as I did, and when I do give in to the cravings I don't like the stuff anymore. I never thought I could break free of my Diet Coke addiction and I have! I am eating better in general and continue to notice positive changes in my health and my outlook. This program has started me on a healthier, cleaner lifestyle. I can't recommend it enough, but I won't say it is easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life!, September 10, 2012
This book was recommended to me by my niece as she knew I was experiencing digestion problems and the doctors could not do anyhting for me but continue to prescribe medication. I wanted to jump right into the cleanse but made a commitment to read the book in whole before beginning--which I recommend. All of the testimonials I read from others were completely validated!! Being a caffeine junkie for years, I didn't think I could function without it. So imagine my surprise after giving it up completely to find I felt more energized that I had in 10 years! I have not felt this good overall in 10-15 years and a plus was losing the 10 pounds that have been hanging on me for the same amount of time! This book has literally changed my life all for the better and I have not only recommended it to many othere...i have actually sent it to friends and family as a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book rocks!, April 17, 2012
The update includes a new introduction, new recipes, and a new section about maintenance after the detox. If you already have the original book, it is NOT worth the upgrade.

$16.99 $10.93