5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described... almost
+1 star
The picture's been updated. And Clear's service over the last year has been decent. That sort of negated my reasons for knocking off one star. So now my review is 5 stars, especially since the item was exactly what I ordered, and worked as described.

***Older Review***
They don't actually have a picture of the device. It looks...
Published on October 4, 2010 by Don't Track Me

1.0 out of 5 stars 2,457 complaints should not be taken lightly.
Published on December 5, 2011 by Adam Oraefo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars 2,457 complaints should not be taken lightly., December 5, 2011
Adam Oraefo (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clear 4G Mobile USB Modem (Electronics)
I read the reviews, and believed them to be exaggerated at best, at the very least the issues were specific to the user's locale. I was WRONG. The service advertises itself as high-speed internet that is friendly for all home users. THE SPEED CAPS ARE NOT A MYTH! After only 2 days of streaming Netflix and playing Xbox Live by the third day I could barely log into my email. To say their customer service is incompetent would be paying them a compliment too kind.
Clearwire currently has 2,457 filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau. Unless you're a gluten for self-torture or possibly a masochist I see no reason to work with these people under any condition.

Go to BBB and search Clearwire to see for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described... almost, October 4, 2010
+1 star

***Older Review***
They don't actually have a picture of the device. It looks nothing like the sony ericsson clam shell they show. But, the product they sent me was brand new, and indeed the CLEAR 4G mobile usb.

It is completely compatible with CLEAR's "high" speed internet service.

I took a star off because:
a) they don't have a good picture of what you're receiving.
b) This item works with Clear's service, but Clear's services are... mediocre. (more below)

For the Clear 6mb max download speed, I actually get 500kb max download speed. So, you should divide their "max" speed by about 12 to get the actual max speeds you'll be getting. Also, if you read their terms, they actually spell out that they are allowed to have times of zero service, and that they are allowed to have no idea why.

So far however, it's worked fine for me. I can stream Hulu videos, I can watch youtube videos, I can download large documents and work on google documents while experiencing no lag. It works about as well as dsl, just more finicky, and not sharable... on the plus side: it's mobile! So it works great if you're living alone, don't play online games, and have access to a library in case the service cuts out on you (like me).

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT FOR ME, October 3, 2012
Here was my situation
1. No current internet
2. No land line
3. No cable
4. On the clear coverage map I am less than a mile from a tower.

I ordered the hightest speed/data plan and get very fast internet and have had no probelm with dropouts. I have no cables or wires to my laptop, just a small usb device. I did have some trepidation when looking at some old negative reviews. Maybe this compnay has turned it around. I pay fifty a month with no contracts. The 4g modem cost twenty-four. It is a cinch to set up. I had internet up and running within 10 minutes of opening the box. I don't use this as a mobile device but for my main internet service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couple Caveats, March 3, 2011
This review is from: Clear 4G Mobile USB Modem (Electronics)
As the first reviewer states, this is indeed the Clear 4G USB Modem. I received a new PXU1900 USB modem in a sealed box.

I purchased this modem to add to my original Clear Home account after testing Clear service for 60 days with a Motorola M home modem I also purchased from Amazon. My speeds with both the Motorola M home modem and the new USB modem are much better than the original reviewer reports. The USB modem, however, is much more sensitive to position than the home modem. I will be docking it in a Cradlepoint router most times anyway, so this is not a big problem for me.

Most Important Note- I really struggled to add this additional equipment to my existing account via online Clear account management. The Clear website is great for activating new service, but clunky for adding additional equipment. When I called Clear to just have them add and activate this 'customer owned equipment' manually, I was told that I had to fax a sales receipt to them for validation. I was also told that only customer owned equipment purchased from an authorized reseller would be validated. The Clear sales rep further advised me that this USB modem would not be validated since Amazon is not a certified Clear reseller. Seriously?? I told him to make no further changes to my account and hung up. After going back into the web interface, I did eventually find the right steps to upgrade to a 'Take Two' plan with waived activation fees and eventually was able to activate this modem online using only the MAC id.

Long story short, Clear seems to be implementing new control measures to limit where you can buy their equipment. If you can activate this modem through their online interface, you'll probably skate through okay, but if you need any help you may hit a wall.

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY AWAY FROM CLEAR!!!!, October 29, 2011
This review is from: Clear 4G Mobile USB Modem (Electronics)
Clear worked for me for a while. It was on and off hit or miss, but up 80% of the time with reasonable download speeds. 3 weeks ago they were down all day. I was told it was maintenance. After that the internet started dropping. It has been down 95% of the time. I worked with technicians for hours on the phone that read from pre-written scripts that usually had nothing to do with my issue.

I gave in and ordered a booster. I have been repeatedly and blatantly lie to about its availability. The week after I ordered it I asked for a status. I was told it would be shipped the next day and that I would receive a tracking number. I didn't, so I waited another day and then called. I was initially told it shipped it and it would be there the next day. I said great, give me the tracking number. After being on hold for 5 minutes the rep came back and told me there was none available, but it would be there the next day.

After pushing him a little he said, "The official status is that it will arrive tomorrow, if it doesn't it will arrive 2 days later, if it doesn't 3 to 5 days after that someone will call to tell me there is a problem with my order." After that response I gave up contacting them except through their forum. I found out quickly that if they can't answer your questions they simply respond with, "We have been trying to contact you and you have not responded. We are therefore marking this issue closed." No one has ever tried to reach out to me by phone or email.

Google "Sprint: Clearwire Makes Us Suffer" and "Clearwire Accused of Running 'Bandwidth Ponzi Scheme'" before buying Clear. I tried to get the booster through one of their partners today. I was told today by their partner that 3 weeks ago they actually cut off the 4G tower I was attached to leaving only 3G in place, and that they are going out of business. They will be shutting down services slowly.

If something changes, I will return and let you know. Until then... STAY AWAY FROM CLEAR!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, July 26, 2012
This review is from: Clear 4G Mobile USB Modem (Electronics)
I have been using clear for some time now, but I needed an extra device, for my other computer. I bought the first one from a franchise dealer and it cost me dearly. The price I paid for this one, including shipping charges was less then half the price. I am very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars CLEAR is a scam - will not allow you to cancel, March 5, 2012
O. Ganel (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clear 4G Mobile USB Modem (Electronics)
good luck trying to cancel your service.

I didn't use my service, so I tried to cancel.

First of all, their "no questions asked" is a joke. I have been given the run-around, and all of their representatives tried aggressively to get me to stay on the plan. They asked me all sorts of questions, and tried to persuade me to stay.

Second, their "we are open 7/24" slogan is a blatant lie. I tried cancelling on a Sunday, and was told their "cancellation department" was open only Mon-Fri.

Third, since they send you equipment, you are on the hook for the equipment, so you cannot simply put a stop order on the credit card.

Fourth, I tried unsuccessfully for a few times to cancel. Once the representative found out, through many questions, that I insist on cancelling, she put me on an indefinite hold. I am sure she had a good chuckle.

Fifth, when I finally got around to cancelling, I was informed I needed to pay an early termination fee. I had to find my receipt to prove I didn't.

Really?! Really?!

Stay away from that company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product/Poor Customer Service, October 28, 2013
This review is from: Clear 4G Mobile USB Modem (Electronics)
Clear no longer sells this product. Took forever to finally realize that the only place I was going to get it was on the internet. They were actually recently bought out by Sprint and had absolutely no idea how to get this product, even though a few days before I had actually seen them in a Clear store, which was, needless to say, now defunct. Customer service wanted to sell me another product, and turn off my internet service for the 3-5 days it would take to receive this new product, which I couldn't even be sure would work anyway. No other provider seems to have this product/service either, which works without regular wi-fi on your laptop. So stay away from this product if you do not already have one and need it for replacement parts only!!!!!!!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars clear internet usb, September 10, 2012
S.PRO "S.PRO" (HOUSTON, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clear 4G Mobile USB Modem (Electronics)
It works really great, it was not very difficult to install. I had internet in a short time after receiving the unit. first you install the round piece and then the usb with internet and it was pretty easy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the abomination that is CLEAR., August 11, 2011
This review is from: Clear 4G Mobile USB Modem (Electronics)
Pros: It's mobile

Cons: -Extremely Slow "4G" speeds; my 3G iPhone 4 (AT&T) is %500 faster.
-Very Unreliable. Several times a day i have to reset my modem.
-I honestly believe the Customer Support is outsourced to Jerry's Kids.

Summary: I generally don't care enough to warn people from horrible services/buys but for the love of all that is right...stay away from CLEAR. It really is as god awful as people say it is. You would be much better off using your smart phone as a hotspot. I would much rather pay AT&T's b.s. $15 a month service to make my iPhone a hotspot than pay the $60 a month for Clear...cNet?!!! How do you give this product EC? This lowers your credibility.
Oh one thing to note i Have used this device from NY-CA-AZ-FL-GA-TX the service is equally awful at all of these location.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›