Customer Discussions > Magic forum

Clear Channel Bans "Magic" From Radio Airplay

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2007 2:17:57 PM PDT
Concert Man says:
This is the biggest crock I have ever read. But it doesn't surprise me considering the source. Read on...

Magic Refused Radio Play

Bruce Springsteen should be very happy. He has the No. 1 album, a possible Grammy for Best Album of the Year, for "Magic," an album full of singles, and a sold-out concert tour.

Alas, there's a hitch: Radio will not play "Magic." In fact, sources tell me that Clear Channel has sent an edict to its classic rock stations not to play tracks from "Magic." But it's OK to play old Springsteen tracks such as "Dancing in the Dark," "Born to Run" and "Born in the USA."

Just no new songs by Springsteen, even though it's likely many radio listeners already own the album and would like to hear it mixed in with the junk offered on radio.

Why? One theory, says a longtime rock insider, "is that the audience knows those songs. Of course, they'll never know these songs if no one plays them."

"Magic," by the way, has sold more than 500,000 copies since its release on Oct. 2 and likely will hit the million mark. That's not a small achievement these days, and one that should be embraced by Clear Channel.

But what a situation: The No. 1 album is not being played on any radio stations, according to Radio

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 5:25:05 PM PDT
Boss Fan says:
I've been saying these things for years. I have several long-winded rants in various threads in this very forum. It's so upsetting and the logic behind it so hypocritical and such vicious circle of corporate bean counters resulting in the mediocrity of radio and the music industry today. Seems to me if someone has the number one album (twice now, mind you) there is an obvious demand. I think all new music should get a fair chance at an audience, but its not such a risk on some obscure artist when we're talking about Bruce figgin' Springsteen AND the fact the album is the biggest in sales at the moment. I wanted more airplay for "The Rising" too and complained then, but I've heard the title track to that album twice this week and nothing from "Magic" despite the fact that the very radio stations that don't play it talk about the album, the concerts, give the latest Bruce news. Really though, people have themselves to blame. Wanting to hear only "Dancin' in the Dark" for the millionth time and not asking to hear any of the new stuff, apparently they are getting what they want. Tom Petty's "Last DJ," and now Bruce's "Radio Nowhere," could not be more apt. And they happen to be great songs by two of the best. So why do half their "fans" not even know about them. But hey, new Britney Spears song?! Music made by a machine that says nothing about anything?! Bring it on! F**k radio!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 7:41:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2007 7:45:28 PM PDT
Concert Man says:
i'M SORRY. I JUST NOTICED THAT THIS STUPID DISCUSSION AREA WILL NOT LET ME POST THE WHOLE STORY!

There was so much more. I apologize. You can find this story on the foxnews website, not that I would advocate this site for anyone, but this is where the story is.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 7:08:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2007 10:51:38 AM PDT
Chuck Lestac says:
Man this makes me so angry. Its outrageous, I'm speechless. Just another example of centralization of power being a very bad thing. We need to go back to independent radio stations who could play whatever they damn well please.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 11:44:51 AM PDT
Surprising? I think NOT! I hear more garbage like this ALL THE TIME! Wake up America! We've been sold to the highest bidder! The corporations, the elite rich and lobbyists will tell us what to THINK next. Oh wait, they're already working on that.

I don't care about Clear Channel........I refuse to listen to any of their stations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2007 9:42:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2007 10:19:43 AM PDT
JosephCa64 says:
Let's not forget Clear Channel was the same group at the fore of the Dixie Chicks ban. Clear Channel's CEO--whose name escapes me at the moment--is a big Bush and Republican backer. That's what this is about. They banned the Dixie Chicks. They also banned Howard Stern, who they had aired for 10+ years, they never had any problem with Stern's outrageous content until suddenly--after Stern began coming out against the Iraq War and Bush--he was gone.

Welcome to the new America.

Free speech? Hell no!

In the "minds," of Clear Channel and their ilk, everyone must bow to the almighty leader in this country and anyone who doesn't, is quickly thrown off the bus.

Free Speech isn't free any more in America. You will pay a price for it. Make no mistakes about that.

And, people still dare to wonder why Bruce speaks out at his concerts????

Do you get it now?

Will you ever?

It's fast becoming the only place where he can speak out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2007 8:39:45 AM PDT
ezmon says:
Hey Feldmann...nice post! We totally agree on this one. F...Clear channel...the ezmon Ps..Jersey girls comments ring true also...unfortunately.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2007 9:11:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2007 9:14:21 AM PDT
JosephCa64 says:
Well, thank you, ezmon, that's big of you to say after our previous disagreements. And, I agree with jerseygirl as well.

It's just another reason why Bruce should be applauded. He has never done the corporate thing--he has never once had a corporate sponsored tour--and he has never once commercialized his music to sell cars, like everyone else under the sun is doing these days.

What's most disgusting about Clear Channel is their rank hypocrisy--they will ban Bruce, or the Dixie Chicks from their radio stations, if they dare to criticize Bush.

But they don't ban them from their music venues--of which Clear Channel owns the vast majority of in America.

That's where the real dough is made--at live shows, and when it comes to concert, cash cows like Bruce, or the Dixie Chicks, Clear Channel has no problem with hosting their shows.

It's nothing more than political pandering, these corporate radio bans.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2007 3:32:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2007 3:36:19 PM PDT
Boss Fan says:
This was posted today at Backstreets.com. Make of it what you will. Radio is certainly a sucky animal these days, and Clear Channel's rebuttal here (assuming its legit, though someone could certainly dig into the stats given here if they had the time and energy so I'm assuming they would not outright lie) does not address the issue of the last few weeks (as the Backstreets.com author points out), but if what they claim is indeed true, they'd have us all believe we have been victims of a hoax of some sort. Regardless of this supposed ban by Clear Channel of "Magic" tracks, it doesn't change the fact that the songs would never have seen much airplay anyway, as is the general fate for any classic artist's new material in today's radio market. Whatever Clear Channel's up to, the new songs would not have been heard the way singles from newer artists are. Maybe we should start with blaming the record companies for not pushing these artists and releasing multiple singles and videos the way they do for their other artists. You'd think in the interest of making money they would be happy to exploit any product to its utmost potential. Esspecially when the artist in question's very name is an institution unto itself. You'd think they could get people interested and excited about their material the way they do for far lesser artists. The whole industy is so f*@ked up and stupid.

Anyway, here's the lowdown from backstreets:

RADIO NOWHERE?

Sometimes the headlines just write themselves.

Earlier this week, Roger Friedman reported on foxnews.com that, even though Springsteen's new album just spent two weeks at number one, "Alas, there's a hitch: Radio will not play Magic. In fact, sources tell me that Clear Channel has sent an edict to its classic rock stations not to play tracks from Magic." The Down With Tyranny! blog followed up with an eye on the political forces at work.

What does Clear Channel have to say? Well, enter their Know the Facts no-spin zone, and you'll see this addressed at the very top.

MYTH: Clear Channel Radio directed its stations not to play music from Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" CD.
FACT: Although Clear Channel owns only 8% of the radio stations in the U.S., in the first days after the CD's release, airplay of music from the disc on Clear Channel Radio stations represented a full 21% of the total radio airplay in the U.S., including airplay from satellite radio. That's according to airplay stats from Mediabse. Further, Clear Channel Radio stations played music from the CD more than twice as much as the nearest radio broadcaster, which came in at less than 10% of total U.S. airplay.

Which is not exactly mythbusting -- there's no denial of the charge here, just figures from "the first days after the CD's release." And in the weeks since?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2007 10:48:42 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 2:27:11 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 9:48:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 10:08:50 AM PST
JosephCa64 says:
If you want my guess, it probably took "those first few days," for the geniuses at Clear Channel to figure out what Magic was about. Conservatives have had that problem with Bruce's music, more than once. Born In The USA and 41 Shots being the prime examples.

Listen, no one expects Magic to be played on teeny-bopper stations, but the fact it is no longer being played on any of Clear Channel's Classic Rock stations is outrageous.

It's a corporate ban. They should at least have the balls to admit it.

They said the same thing about the Dixie Chicks. They and Cumulus and Cox still swear to this day there was no Dixie Chicks ban and no order from headquarters to stop playing them.

What a joke.

They're a pack of book burning, Nazi fascists.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 3:58:37 PM PST
Boss Fan says:
Yeah, I don't disagree, just showing the response. But like I said, it wouldn't matter anyway because radio wouldn't be playing this album anyway. It's a sin, but give me an example of an album from any of the greats in the last few years where, past opening week, any, even classic rock, stations played songs from in any kind of regular rotation. Like I said, I wanted to hear more from "The Rising" when it came out - and that album had the benefit of not only great hype for being the first ESB album in nearly 20 years and Bruce's first rock album in 10, but the fact that it was going to all by itself heal our emotional wounds after 9/11 - but I have heard the title cut from that album a few times this week, yet nothing from "Magic".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 6:01:16 PM PST
JosephCa64 says:
Yeah, I have never quite understood that either. Q104, here in New York has given Magic a good amount of air time--they have played multiple tracks on a semi-regular basis. Radio Nowhere was played a lot on WPLG, which is a straight up top 40 station--but only for the first few days and weeks.

In general you're right. Even the Classic Rock stations don't play new material anywhere near in the same rotation as old material.

There is an all Bruce station on Sirius, which is good. But that audience is limited.

Radio is dead--and not just for Rock-n-Roll, but all genres.

CDS are just not sold that way anymore. CDS are not sold in stores anymore, not anywhere near the level that they used to be

Everything is sold through the Internet, in one way or another.

The record companies have yet to reconcile that reality.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 6:41:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 6:42:57 PM PST
Boss Fan says:
I have hated radio for a long time now. Since the early 90s. And it just keeps getting worse. Tom Petty's "Last DJ" and "Joe" are terrific, poetic, yet seething tunes about this very thing. He says it better and more passionately in a three minute song than all of our rants could. It seems to register more with me every passing year (and I was already pretty pis*ed when I first heard it 5 years ago).

The buying CDs things is terrible too, but the problem are supposed "fans" of people like Springsteen who don't buy each new album the way they did when they were younger and clamor just for the old stuff. What else would radio do considering no one seems to show interest? A number one album is fine, but it is a fraction of the sales he had 20 years ago (even though the songs on his albums in the last decade have been just as good as - if not many better than - those on those older albums). Critics keep raving and pleading for us to take notice, but tabloid-fodder artists easily garner the attention and sell albums based on that rather than reviews, writing, musicianship, message or content. And radio plays along accordingly. It's a typical vicious cycle of big business, bean-counter bureaucracy and pandering to the lowest common denominator.

The whole business is f@*ked!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 8:00:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 8:01:49 PM PST
JosephCa64 says:
It's also file sharing and flat out thievery. So far, the record industry can find no way around that. It's just a by product of technology run amuk. They lose so many sales that way. Even AOL is doing it now--with Aimtunes--where you can upload all your music into AIM and all your buddies can upload it directly from one another, without having to buy it.

Combine that with the Internet being the number one marketplace--thus record companies and artists are splitting their profits 10 different ways with all kinds of new merchants and outlets. Combine that with the ability to buy songs individually, instead of whole albums.

Add in the reality that kids don't buy CDS like they used to. CDs are too big and clunky for kids. Everyhting has to be downloadable and able to fit in one's pocket.

It all adds up to an industry whose template has been completey shattered.

They are scrambling to pick up the pieces and somehow build a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 11:58:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2007 12:01:01 AM PST
Boss Fan says:
Yeah, but Kanye West still can move just shy of a million units in one week... there is still buying going on, its just very tailored to the kids. But adults only have themselves to blame. Seems to me, if file sharing is the problem, the younger stuff would be suffering, because the kids are more techno-savvy while adults, in general, would still be more prone to buy old fashioned CDs (there's a reason why these horrible Rod Stewart cover CDs sell millions of copies). The problem is adults don't even know their favorite artist or band any have something new out because radio doesn't play it. And when they do, adults are skeptical about "wasting their money." Its ten bucks you f*$kin' losers! I fit helps save radio, get on it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 9:39:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2007 9:42:13 AM PST
JosephCa64 says:
Sure, they are artists who still sell well. NicekelBack's last CD has sold 7 million units--Carrie Underwood sold 6 million. But, in general the multi platinum albums are becomig more and more scarce. The huge albums--the diamond platinum(10 million units) are a thing of the past. Even 3 and 4 million is hardly every eclipsed.

I still struggle to understand why record companies are not more pro-active in going after file sharing. Everyone knows where and what these file sharing sites are. They operate right out in the open for all to see.

They are commiting federal crimes everyday--and nothing seems to be done about it.

Napster was the only one they every went after, and they did that successfully. Why not do the same with the others?

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to crack this case. I can direct anyone to the 10 most popular file sharing sites.

And, just for the record--in case the NSA is tuning in-- I don't download official releases, only live stuff by artists--like Bruce--who don't have a problem with such things.

I mean, it's stealing, plain and simple. And, sure it might not hurt an artist on Bruce's level--but it does hurt alot of artists who don't sell in huge numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 10:59:27 AM PST
Boss Fan says:
True. I download mostly for things that aren't available in the marketplace, like live recordings. If they would release them, I would gladly pay for them, but they don't. And, yeah, the big 10 or 20 million selling days may be gone, but notice how all the artists you mention are newer. No classic rock band can even approach half those digits. If Bruce, who is probably the biggest solo classic rock artists still putting out new material, can't do it, who can? The Eagles are back with a new album for the first time in 27 years, to what has supposedly been such unprecedented demand and their album will probably be lucky to match Bruce's numbers. Tom Petty, Elton John, Billy Joel, The Stones, Bob Dylan, Aerosmith, any of these classic rockers still putting out new music - former huge, mega sellers - see sales slide with each album despite the fact they continue to earn rave reviews for their creativity and having "still got it after all these years". Of course most of the younger crowd won't care, but it is just so curious to me how their adult fan base doesn't bother to take notice and is okay simply hearing some 20 year old single they have heard every day since for the rest of their lives. I would be ecstatic if I were 50 + years old and some band I loved in my twenties were still putting out albums (that will be a mighty rare feat for any of today's bands, by the way). I swear, Hendrix or the friggin' Beatles could come back and people would still just play their old stuff and their new albums would sell a few hundred thousand copies. No wonder record companies keep repackaging the same old stuff. No one bothers to buy the new stuff yet we complain about all the repacked hits. To those people, you deserve everything you get.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 12:44:34 PM PST
Charlie-X says:
Clear Channel symbolizes the state of decay in today's radio programming. It's all about market share, with little emphasis on 'artful' content. This explains the abundance of generic muscial programming, and the wasteland of like minded AM radio talk show personialities on the airwaves.

The ban on Springsteen's 'Magic' is disappointing. While 'Seeger Sessions' & 'Devils and Dust' were not likely to get massive airplay, 'Magic' is an excellent collection of rock songs that would please most music fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2007 8:33:58 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 2:22:12 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 3:11:09 PM PST
It would be very out of character for Clear Channel to do anything for the greater good of the industry. Well, it's their loss. Once the backlash takes hold (and it will, sooner or later), CC will go down hard. I can't wait....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 2:04:52 AM PST
Boss 302 says:
So do you need reminded what Tipper and Al Gore tried to do in the 1980s? You want to talk about censoring "free speech," lets start with the liberals who would like to ban any statements that might or might not offend a person. Clearchannel, although I hate that corperation with a passion, is a company that is free to play whatever they want. We don't have to like them, listen to them, support them. If you hate the company so bad, do something about it - start your own radio station. You must remember that a company is relatively free to do what they want, just as we're free not to patronize that company. See the problem is that we need to think for ourselves and ACT on our freedoms, not complain that they're being taken away.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2008 3:21:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2008 3:34:02 AM PST
JosephCa64 says:
Yes, but the effect of what Al and Tipper Gore did was actually positive for records sales, lol. To this day, artists love when they get the ADULT CONTENT sticker, it always boost sales.

I do agree, it was silly.

However, it is in no way the same as corporate bans.

What the Gores did, didn't ban anyone, nor did it censor anyone, nor did it stop anyone's free speech. It put a sticker on a CD, that's it.

What Clearchannel does is dictate to every one of its stations and station managers what they can and can't play. People are fired if they disobey.

It's a completely different situation.

I mean let's be real, when it comes to wailing and moaning about the content of popular music--it is always social conservatives who are doing that.

From Jazz, to Elvis, to psychedelic rock, to heavy metal, to rap--there is always some social conservative numb nut, telling us how its going to destroy society!

They have been saying it(and banning it) for nearly 100 years.

And surprise, surprise, somehow society has managed to survive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2008 10:21:50 PM PDT
R. Hansen says:
The fact that this album was #1 has nothing to do with quality. Springsteen has a significant fan base that will make every album he releases #1, for a few days (the man could release an album of him coughing and it would go to #1). After that no one else buys his product. The songs on this album were not put on the radio because, other than "Radio Nowhere", they are simply not very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 5:25:46 AM PST
Mistercd103 says:
Come to think of it ....... an album of Springsteen coughing, might sound better than the last American Idol pap or the latest rap noise.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Magic forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 12, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Magic
Magic by Bruce Springsteen (Audio CD - 2007)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (467)