Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

HALL OF FAMEon December 20, 2001
A great recording of a sadly under-rated score, ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER is one of those cult musicals that needs to be rediscovered.
Opening at the Mark Hellinger Theatre on October 17, 1965, it ran for a moderate 280 performances. The main reason why the show never worked properly was the weakness of the book; which was magnified a hundred times by the greatness of the score and the powerhouse performances given by stars Barbara Harris and John Cullum.
The story concerns dizzy Daisy Gamble who is put under hypnosis by Dr Mark Bruckner; who uncovers her past life as an 18th century woman called Melinda Welles. Mark finds himself falling in love with the elusive Melinda, while Daisy finds herself increasingly attracted to Mark.
Barbara Harris shines in her Tony-nominated performance (she lost to Angela Lansbury for MAME). She gives delightful and spirited readings of the songs "Hurry It's Lovely Up Here", "On the SS Bernard Cohn", "Tosy and Cosh" and her crowning moment in "What Did I Have That I Don't Have?"; it is reason enough to love the Broadway musicals.
A fantastic, endlessly-enjoyable recording.
on July 20, 2003
I was one of the people lucky enough to see this show on Broadway and loved it. The music on the CD is wonderful. I was not impressed with the liner notes because they tell of Alan Jay Lerner's problems producing the show instead of giving the listener an idea of the plot. William Daniel is interested in climbing in the corporate world so he sends his fiancee, Daisy, to a Psychiatrist to help her stop smoking. The Psychiatrist is John Cullum. While he is hynotizing her to stop smoking, she goes into a past life where she was Melinda, a refined but put upon young woman. During the past sequences, the music is beautiful. I was especially impressed with Clifford David who sings on a bare stage. I expected him to have a big career. The news gets out so a millionaire comes to the Doctor to find out how he can leave his money to himself when he is born again. William Daniel is trying to explain to Daisy that though they are in their 20's, life will be sweet after he retires. John Collum is in love with Melinda which upsets Daisy, but he finally decides they are are the same woman and wants her. In the Finale they get together. I hope this brief summary helps someone who is listening to the gorgeous Burton Lane music and clever Alan Jay Lerner lyrics enjoy the CD more.
on March 8, 2000
I waited a long time for this recording to come out on CD. When I went to order it, the clerk at the store said,"you mean Streisand or Harris" Since I am also a big John Cullum fan, I found the recording as charming as I had remembered it. Also worthy of note are the performances of William Daniels and Titos Vandas. As much as I admire Barbra Streisand, the recording of the film version doesnt come close! Now if someone would just reissue "Applause"!
on March 2, 2004
After Fritz Loewe retired, Alan Jay Lerner tried to team with composer Richard Rodgers (who had recently lost Oscar Hammerstein to cancer.) It was a match seemingly made in heaven that quickly deteriorated, it is claimed, due to Lerner's erratic work habits. Lerner took the idea next to Burton Lane, a gifted and very under rated composer. Together they created an enjoyable score that never quite fit with Lerner's awkward book. Still, it's the score that is heard on the CD and for the most part, it is a total delight.
This original cast recording (starring the wonderful Barbara Harris and in his first starring role the equally wonderful John Cullum) comes with a good set of notes by Ken Madelbaum and a detailed synopsis to take you through the story song by song.
on June 23, 2013
I was so pleased to see this wonderful recording finally out in CD and digital formats. My parents had the LP and I loved it growing up, but once I moved away from home I was never able to find it. The music completely captivates the imagination. I wish I could have seen the Broadway version as the film was a complete let down, with several of the best songs cut and almost all of the mystique lost. Incredible vocals (esp. from John Cullum). If you like musicals and thought the movie a bore prepare to be wowed!
on August 6, 2015
...this show would be a dud, let's face it. There are a few good songs along the way -- the title song is spectacular, a few others -- but there is also a lot of treading-water. One thing is wacky: the Overture, which is listed as 6:13, seemed to have about 4:13 devoted to the title song, including hearing it sung! But seriously, there are some songs in here that are so twee ("Tosy and Cosh") or tedious ("Don't Tamper with My Sister") that it has to rank as halfway between a curiosity and a bomb.
on June 9, 2016
While selling off my vinyl records, I accidentally included "On a Clear Day". I have the Streisand version but like so many Broadway to the big screen, I'd grown to love many of the songs as the original cast had done them. Then I saw this on Amazon and my heart skipped a beat. I love it.
on December 17, 2004
When I first heard this score when the show came out in the mid-Sixties, I couldn't get enough of it. The great Barbara Harris was in her prime and she gave the material the kind of voice it deserved. (Unfortunately, Barbra Streisand and Yves Montand didn't do justice to the material. This is a musical with a number of interesting characters and not one that should focus on a STAR. In fact, when the DVD of the movie comes out, I want to add it to my collection if for no other reason than Montand singing the title song. How the French tongue and heavy accent virtually creams some of the lovely songs is enough to put this one in the "don't let this happen to you when casting a movie musical" category.) But the Broadway album captures the musicality of the score very well, considering the recording techniques in the Sixites were nothing like the digital quality today. So, the show isn't exactly My Fair Lady, but Burton Lane and Alan Jay Lerner could sure crank out great songs, and Clear Day is proof positive of that fact. And, if you're feeling down in the dumps, just listen to Barbara Harris sing "Hurry, It's Lovely Up Here!" I dare you to stay depressed after that one!
on August 21, 2014
This movie is so awesome, and there is a scene where Streisand sings "Love with all the trimmings" to this drop-dead gorgeous actor that is so sensual and beautiful. If you have any thoughts about reincarnation, you need to see this film!
on January 13, 2014
Broadway lost a great performer when Barbara Harris left. But we can still hear hints of her talent on this CD. Luckily, we don't have to worry about the weak book but can just sit back and enjoy some beautiful tunes and the talents of the cast.