Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on October 14, 2013
UPDATE 3/10/2014:
This TPU case is still working like a charm. I purchased this product in October of 2013 and 5 months later, it is still perfect.
I have purchased lower end quality TPU cases and they would tend to yellow over time. However, this case has not yellowed! It is possible it will yellow in a few years time, but I does get daily use from me and no yellowing has occurred.

The TPU is still as durable as when I purchased it, which is an amazing feat. I have taken it off 20+ times to give my system and case a thorough cleaning and the TPU has not warped or stretched. Absolutely no disintegration and no worry of fingerprints (for me at least).

I have dropped my XL with this TPU case on and it DOES protect it. TPU has enough elasticity to distribute the shock of a fall evenly, while being hard enough to stay intact after the fall.

I seriously recommend this item to everyone.

----------------------------------------------

The U.S. does not get a clear, black, pink or mint TPU cases from Hori, so we are stuck with red and blue. However, if you want to show off your designs on your system, this clear TPU case is the way to go.
As seen here: [...]
The case it not 100% clear, as it is impossible to make TPU clear like plastic because it is a blend. However, the clouding is minimal and it will protect your 3DS XL from starches and minor bumps.

It is easy to put on and take off and it does not start to disintegrate like silicone does. Also, the TPU case is snug, so it does not move around the system when you play. Since it's TPU, it does not attract lint and dust like silicone does, so that's definitely a plus. It also does not give off any odors.
The only thing I don't care for is the branding on the front that says "Nintendo 3DS LL" It's really not that big of a deal, but it does distract from the main image.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2013
Looking for a CLEAR 3DS case that's not made of cheap plastic that actually causes scratches to your handheld in the long run? THIS.IS.IT.
I don't usually write long reviews but this case is so well made, I thought it deserved my honest opinion.

I've done research on my options for a clear case for my limited edition Pokemon X and Y 3DS. I was stubborn and didn't buy it a case right away when I first got it because they were too expensive and they didn't have any clear ones to begin with. A few minor scratches too soon on my limited edition handheld told me I better cough up some money for extra protection FAST. Eternal beauty comes at a cost.

The price:
I have seen this case go for as low as $19 on here. I am unsure if it had free shipping but I got mine with Prime shipping and it was only $25. As of the day I'm writing this review,it is $23.88 plus Prime shipping,so anything above $23-25 is way too much and you're better off waiting for the price to come down unless it permanently stays at a high price forever due to it not being made anymore. Not likely anytime soon.
Yes,there are some cases for the 3DS that are about $5. These are made of pure plastic,I believe. Plastic can actually SCRATCH the paint on your 3DS in the long run,mostly the corners. Think of anything that's HARD plastic and picture it rubbing up against your 3DS all day.
Then there's those other cases that have you stick the case to the 3DS with some sort of SAFE liquid... I don't know about you,but the term "LIQUID" and "$200 HANDHELD" don't sound well next to each other to me. I'm sure they could work but so many things can go wrong. This TPU case is so flippin' easy to put on and take off,a caveman could do it.

The case itself:
Why the heck should you bother to spend $20+ on a protective case? If you're a collector like me,you know how important it is so keep things looking their best. It could even be you just can't stand the sight of ugly scratches on your handheld. My limited edition 3DS goes with me everywhere and while I plan to never sell it,I want to keep it looking brand new. Even if you don't care for scratches,unexpected liquids can quickly fall on your handheld. While this case won't cover it all (you're probably done if this falls into a pool,for example. The black part where the hinges are and game rests is still exposed.),if it falls on your front cover or back cover,it will give you enough time to retaliate and wipe it quickly instead of it hitting your 3DS directly. It's just better protected in general.
Like someone else mentioned,this gives a better grip and it doesn't add bulk. All side components are still functional. (volume,SD card slot,etc.)
The case itself isn't fully crystal clear due to the special material but I have uploaded pictures and you can see that the artwork on the 3DS still shows through beautifully. The material also isn't hard enough to scratch your handheld. There's a logo on the case that says "Nintendo 3DS LL";not a big deal for me.

In conclusion,in my humble opinion,I believe this is the BEST protective case you can get for your 3DS XL,specially if it has any special artwork on the front that you want to display. Hori has made other cases that are for sale in the U.S but these are blue or red,which is fine if you have a solid color 3DS with no decoration. It's still the same company that brought us this awesome case just for some reason,they opted not to make a clear one for the U.S.

Game on and I hope you found this wall of text informative.
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2013
Is excellent!!! A best choice for protect my 3DS XL Pikachu edition. And is original for nintendo by hori Japan.
on January 1, 2014
After looking at many cased I finally decided to give this one a try. While it is not clear but more translucent, I have no problems seeing the Zelda cover art on the 3ds and it doesn't add much thickness to the DS (I posted pictures). I don't think it will protect the 3ds when dropping it but I purchased it to protect from scratches and it will do that. Like other reviewers have stated this is not a hard type of plastic. It is a thicker, softer type plastic. It doesn't seem like it will stretch out of shape like silicone cases tend to do. It comes in two pieces and it does not cover the hinge part of the 3ds. All ports are open and easily accessible. It was easy to install and stays in place. I am glad I purchased this case and would recommend it. It looks like one is being released for USA on February 6, 2014. Amazon has it listed (Nintendo 3DS XL Duraflexi Protector - Clear by Hori) as a pre-order for $12.99

6/14/14 Update: Still happy with the case. The case still fits tight, no problems with it coming off the DS even when riding around in my purse :)
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2013
This case is by far the best TPU case I have used for the 3DS XL. For whatever reason, there are no domestic (inside the U.S.) clear TPU cases for the XL. There are some cheap plastic cases selling on Amazon and eBay, but in my experience these scratched the paint of the console. I can wholeheartedly recommend this case to anyone looking to preserve their console without obfuscating its sharp facade. For what it's worth, I am using this with a limited edition Pikachu 3DS XL. It adds a little bulk, but as a 6'3" guy with large hands, I prefer the extra bulk. No one makes fun of my Pikachu 3DS because, despite having an outward affinity for a yellow electric mouse, I'm also a pretty big guy. Your mileage may vary. Also, for anyone intending to use this with the 3DS XL charging cradle, you'll need to remove the bottom half of the case to charge it. The case, which is two pieces, is easy off and easy on.
on May 30, 2015
I got this to protect my Mario and Luigi edition 3DS, because it wasn't supposed to cause scratches like hard cases, and I wanted to be able to see the design - there's no point in protecting a design you'll never see! This protector definitely saved my 3DS from a few drops that should have done a bit of damage. Overall I'm sure my 3DS would have been in much worse shape without it, but if someone more careful than I is shopping for a protector, they might want to watch out for scratching.

It seems dust works its way under the protector, and scratches the device as the outside case moves back and forth (it can move ever so slightly). To me, the dust underneath just looked like slight blemishes on the case, so I didn't think anything of it - I didn't care if the case got damaged, as long as the 3DS itself was fine. But the moving dust did scratch the design. I'm not sure this would be an issue on a normal, solid colored 3DS, but the Mario and Luigi 3DS is actually black, with a layer of silver paint on the outside. The damage was enough that spots of black paint now show through the silver. In the interest of being perfectly honest, they are small blemishes, and I definitely can be very picky about such things. But I figure other people looking at a case like this might be just as picky as to how their device looks.

The protector has also yellowed significantly in the almost 1 and a half years I've had it. But that's really not a big deal, clear plastic tends to do that. I'd just buy a replacement if it wasn't for the scratching issues.

If you decide you DO want want to get this protector, I'd say just take it off occasionally and make sure to clean. Then you might not even have any issues.
on August 27, 2014
First, I'd like to say: If you are going to buy a case for your 3DS system, make sure to buy one made by HORI. They have blended the perfect plastic material to protect your system without weighing it down too much or making it difficult to install and uninstall. I own one 3DS and one 3DSXL and have tried a few cases over the years. After getting this one, I know that I will buy all of my 3DS accessories from HORI in the future.
If anyone is wondering, the HORI clear case JP version and EN version are the same product, the only difference is that the JP version has 'Nintendo 3DS LL' stamped onto it while the EN has 'Nintendo 3DS XL.' You can only really see the stamped lettering up close, and I don't know if anyone would mind LL instead of XL anyway. (Side note: The JP packaging is much more interesting)
:DESIGN: 10/10
The case itself is perfect. You can tell right away that it is made of a high quality semi-rubberized plastic. I was worried that a clear case might have a clouding or semi-opaque finish that would blur out my XL's design, but this one is almost perfectly clear. It is easy to install/uninstall, but it doesn't come off unless you want it to. The ports, sliders, stylus, and camera lenses are easily accessible and the case's fit on the XL is precise. The plastic is a little bit glossy and it isn't as transparent as fresh glass, so it changes the color of the system a tiny bit, but not enough to bother me. The rubberized quality gives the system a little bit of resistance to sliding on angled surfaces and also gives you a good grip when you hold it in your hands.
:PROTECTION: 9/10
It seems to be highly protective, as the plastic looks to be almost a centimeter thick, my XL has fallen short distances onto wood/tile surfaces and the case has kept it from scratching or breaking. The only part of the system that may become damaged when the XL is closed (not flipped open) is the top portion with the hinge, triggers, and game port. I don't think any case could protect that part anyway, because the hinge can't be blocked, plus the IR, charger port, game port, and triggers are up there.
:OVERALL: 9/10
There isn't much to complain about with this case, I've had it for a few months and it shows no sign of wear-and-tear (not even a scratch in the plastic). The material used seems to be perfectly designed for protection, ease of use, and comfort. The only thing I can say (and this is true for all protective cases) is that the it does add a bit of weight to the system (less than hard plastic or metal cases though), so sometimes if I plan to play for a long time and I'm not going to be moving around enough to accidentally drop my 3DS, I will remove it and put it back on when I'm done. Because the case is designed so well, the removal and replacement is quick and easy, so I'd say that's another plus for the case. Buy HORI cases, they are inexpensive and I think they are unrivaled in terms of quality.
on October 3, 2014
Bought this for my husband's special edition 3DS XL -- it was just what he wanted! Very fast shipping from the seller I bought from. Does exactly what he hoped for to keep the special artwork on the system in mint condition. Easy to attach/detach! Nearly crystal clear, allowing him to still enjoy the appearance of the system itself. Great quality, does not feel extremely cheap. All ports easily accessible without having to remove any part of the case. Seems to be highly durable. Flexibility between the system and case itself does not create a worry of the artwork rubbing off and giving the system a little room to breathe without fearing the case will slip right off. There is a Nintendo 3DS LL watermark/logo on the case, but it is quite clear and does not take away from your system (for those that have a special/limited edition XL). Highly recommend it for anyone seeking reasonably priced protection for their XL/LL! (It does fit the American version of the XL for those that are curious - LL refers to the Japanese model of the XL, they are identical).
on January 3, 2014
This is a great case if you want to be able to see your original 3 ds xl. My son has the legend of Zelda one, so I didn't want to hide the design, but I wanted to give him a little protection. It snaps on and doesn't move. Looks great.
on November 13, 2014
As others have mentioned the case is kind of a yellowish dull tint to it, that's the only issue I have with it but I do like that it is flexible and does not scratch my case when I slide it on or off. I was scared it would but it is amazing. Makes me not feel like I have to constantly protect my baby. I use the case to decoden so the dull tint doesn't bother me. If you are using it clear than I would say it does change the color of your ds through the case. Mine is baby pink but when I put it on it looks a little grayish yellow pink.