5.0 out of 5 stars Thank heaven for little boys....
I bought this monitor after 8 months of trying to concieve. I have very irregular periods so the thought of a machine telling me when I was ovulating sounded great.

Published on November 6, 2005 by J. Rossi

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't put all your eggs in one basket!
I am not advising that you purchase or not purchase this monitor. I simply need to tell you of my experience if you do use it. I was very excited to find a tool that would take the human error out of reading the ovulation test sticks to determine the LH surge, therefore predicting the peak days of fertility.
I used this monitor every month for over a year with one...
Published on May 30, 2002 by germakj

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank heaven for little boys...., November 6, 2005
This review is from: Clearblue Fertility Monitor Test 1 Count (Health and Beauty)

About the machine: You have to program it to start during your period. So, if you buy it in between your cycles, you need to wait until your next period to begin using the monitor, however you can program it up to day 5 on your period, meaning if you buy this and you are anywhere from day 1-5 in your menses, you can program it for whatever day between those five days you are on. If you purchase the monitor and you are on day 3 of your period, the monitor will allow you to program day 3 and start from there. For me I had a bit of trouble figuring out the programming but to be honest Im not that mechanically inclined, but I did eventually get it.

You start testing when the maching tells you to, so you won't be testing everyday. This helps because it saves $$ on the sticks. You pee on the stick in the morning (first morning urine for best results, as opposed to afternoon urine with OPK'S) at the same time every morning. There is a 3 hour window that is allowed. So if you set your clock for 7am, but you really have to pee at 5:30, you pee at that time so the urine is concentrated. The 3 hour window can go either way- before 7am or after, just as long as its the first urine. The machine will give you either a low, high or peak (with a little egg next to the peak days) reading. The instructions advise you to baby dance on high and peak days.

Now for the cons. Its pricey! The machine itself is expensive, much, much more then OPK's and the sticks are pricey as well. When you buy the machine it will come with a certain amount of sticks, but then you need to buy refills which can get costly.

Did it work?? For us it worked. I was able to get pregnant the second cycle using this monitor. It showed that I was ovualting on day 10, where I figured I was around days 12-16, so we were way off. With the new found knowledge of when I was actually ovualting we got pregnant with our little boy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't put all your eggs in one basket!, May 30, 2002
"germakj" (Forest City, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I used this monitor every month for over a year with one successful pregnancy (ending in miscarriage). The very thing I liked about this tool is possibly what prevented my getting pregnant sooner. I relied too much on the accuracy of the monitor! The machine reads the stick and displays the "fertile day" sign. If there are any errors in this reading, you won't know because you can't read them yourself. You must rely totally on the accuracy of the machine. Whereas, with the simpler ovulation predictor sticks, you can read them yourself; see the line to determine if it is darker or lighter than the test line and can compare it with sticks from one day to the next.
After trying to conceive for so long, I found myself only focusing on the "prime fertile days." I didn't have the energy to "try" if the monitor didn't say I had to. I think by narrowing my target to the 2 or 3 perfect days that this machine predicted, caused me to actually miss my fertile days. I think the machine was wrong. I came to this conclusion one month when I decided to check behind the monitor by using it simultaniously with the ovulation predictor sticks. The monitor read my LH surge as day 12 and I read the sticks as surging on day 18. If I had not checked behind the machine, so to speak, I would have missed my actual peak time. By NOT paying attention to the monitor readings, I persevered and kept at it until day 18 and this was the month I got pregnant.
I'd recommend that if you do buy this monitor, use it as a guideline and not as the gospel. Use it to indicate your fertile days but don't stop there. Don't just "try" on the fertile days. The one pregnancy I did have was due to "trying" even after the machine said it wasn't productive.
One final note, the sticks for this machine are bought in boxes of 30 and are very expensive. You MUST use 10 per month dictated by the machine. Purchasing the box of 5 or 7 ovulation predictor sticks is actually less expensive and you need only use the number of sticks until you see the "peak." These kits are complete as is (just add urine!) and do not require the purchase of an expensive machine.
Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars You need to buy this, June 27, 2014
I do not work for the Clearblue company. I am a real 32 year old man. My wife and I tried for 4 years to get pregnant. She lost a tube due to an ectopic pregnancy years before I even met her. While dating, she cried and told me to leave her because she was told she could not have any children. I promised her that we would find a way. After marriage we tried for a year. She gave up in her heart, I knew it. I was considering doing the IVF thing, but first I wanted to try this product. Found it after browsing around Amazon for fertilization products. Got pregnant 2 months after using this device, and a lot of prayer. It is possible folks, just have to figure out your high peak day, and baby dance the day before and on that day and sit back. Wife didn't even think she was pregnant but when she almost blew chucks on my dashboard I knew she was. She is now 5 weeks and no ectopic pregnancy. DO NOT GIVE UP!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely worth the money., June 17, 2013
I was in the same boat as many other reviewers of this monitor--I swore I would write a positive review if this monitor worked for me, and IT DID! My husband and I had been TTC for 8 months and we were getting extremely frustrated. We were beginning to worry that something was wrong with one [or both] of us, and couldn't understand why it was so difficult to conceive because my monthly cycle was regular like clockwork and I could've sworn that I knew my fertile days. On month #9 of TTC, I decided to bite the bullet and buy this monitor because of all the glowing reviews, and I figured there wasn't much to lose by trying it out. I was extremely skeptical at first, and definitely did NOT expect the monitor to work on the first month... boy did it prove me wrong! Turned out that I was ovulating slightly earlier than I had expected, and this monitor helped me catch that. I got pretty standard results--several high days and 2 peak days, followed by another high day.... and then BAM, about 2 weeks later I missed my period and got that much-longed-for BFP! I thought the initial results were a fluke--how could the monitor "know" my cycle so quickly already? I don't know how this little machine does it, but it's amazing.... this monitor's results might have coincided with more conscientious BBT charting and CM observations on my part, but it was definitely our little good luck charm.

The instructions were easy to follow--just decide what time you want to [or are most likely to] pee each morning within a 4-hour window, and press the "m" button on the monitor at the time that would be in the middle of that 4-hour window. I pressed my m button at 7AM, so my 4-hour window to pee each morning would be between 5AM and 9AM. On mornings where I had to wake up before 5AM to pee, I just stored the urine in a small cup, and then tested it after 5AM. Kinda gross and probably TMI, but it still worked.

We are 6 weeks along now and probably couldn't have been here without the help of this monitor! Who would've thought that just being 1-2 days off made all the difference in the world? If you are on the fence about buying this like I was for 8 months, stop thinking and BUY IT! If anything, it helps you have more confidence in your timing, and sometimes timing can be everything. After reading so many amazing reviews and still being a skeptic at first... this little device definitely made a believer out of me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got pregnant the first month!, December 29, 2013
I'm not saying this will happen to all of you, but after trying for a baby for eight months my husband and I pregnant within the first month of using this monitor. It was an incredible help, and it showed me I ovulated at a different time than I thought I did. That is so valuable when you're trying really hard like we were. You basically do what you need to do on the day the monitor says you're at your "peak", then you have the most awesome peace of mind for the rest of the cycle knowing you did everything you could to help things along.

I'm just throwing this out there- so take it for what it is- but on the same day I got my peak with this monitor, ovulation tests were NEGATIVE. That represents to me that this monitor is looking at more factors that give me a more accurate result than just store bought ovulation tests. That ABSOLUTELY justifies the price, and if I could go back I would absolutely have spent the money again. The insight it gives you about your own body is so comforting. I was ready to get a negative and give it another go the next month because seeing that "peak" reading is just so encouraging, but it only took us one try!

I'd like to add that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which was the primary reason my cycles hadn't been regular since we started trying for a baby. If you have a condition like PCOS, BUY THIS MONITOR!!! It will be such a relief to you, I promise.

I highly suggest this product. Even though it's pricey, I can't see how it would ever not be worth the money, unless your cycles are extremely short or long and literally won't work with the monitor. Or if you know FOR A FACT exactly when you ovulate and when. Otherwise, buy this. It is an enormous help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, December 2, 2007
After 12 years of trying to conceive naturally, my husband and I conceived this past July only to miscarry at 6 weeks. We were devastated. I was referred to the ClearBlue Easy Fertility Monitor by a co-worker - she said "it's a little pricey, but I got pregnant my second month of monitoring". So I went online and researched. I was impressed by what I found so I decided to go ahead and dish out the cash since Dr. visits and possibly fertility treatments were going to cost us much more than a couple hundred dollars.

We waited the Dr. recommended 2 full cycles after our miscarriage and began using the monitor November 5, 2007. I was getting pretty antsy around days 12 & 13 because the monitor hadn't moved off of low fertility. But, come day 14 it jumped to peak fertility (egg & all)! So we made good use of days 14 and 15.

Because I couldn't bring myself to believe that this little gadget could really tell me when to try to conceive, much less read my fertility spot-on the first month, I had talked myself into believing the machine was manufactured to read peak fertility for everyone at standard mid-cycle, but then my body started acting differently. 10 days later, I was experiencing mild nausea.

November 30, day 25 of my cycle and my 32nd birthday, I took a pregancy test. I knew full well it was super-early to be testing and that I may not receive the result I was hoping for. Much to my disbelief, the test read positive! I've since administered 4 more pregnancy tests, all yielding the same result.

I am truly amazed at the accuracy of the ClearBlue Fertility Monitor. It was so well-worth the money and I plan to use it for our second child, after by God's grace, we get through this pregnancy with a healthy baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pregnant after one cycle!!, September 25, 2004
My husband and I tried for several months off the birth control patch with no success. I am 35 and had always assumed I ovulated around days 14-16. I bought the monitor on the recommendation of friends (among our set, it's resulted in several pregnancies!). I wasn't able to use it immediately at the time I bought it, because I was too far along in my cycle. The first time I did use it -- bingo! We're pregnant. It turns out that I was ovulating on days 11-12.

The machine is simple and easy to use. I know that it's expensive and that the cost may be off-putting, but it is certainly cheaper than consultations with fertility specialists. I also have a very demanding job and was not consistent with keeping up with my charting, etc.

This is such a sensitive issue for so many people. I think we need all of the help we can get. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Irregular cycles but Pregnant Month 2 with Clear Blue, August 27, 2006
N.M.B (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm 36 and I've always had irregular cycles, even when on the pill, and so this past April when my husband and I started trying to conceive I knew that it might take some time.

I started keeping track of my cycles: 26 days, 25 days, 15 days, 28 days, 21 days. Ugh. After a few months of no results I decided to go ahead and purchase the Clear Blue monitor thinking that it could at least help me to pinpoint my peaks even if the 'planning' portion of the software in it was likely to be useless given my varying cycles.

1st Month: I started Day 1 on July 10 and on Day 6 the meter told me to test. I had high days from Day 6-14 and then my first peak day on the 15th and the 16th(though for the 16th I was not asked to test (as I had finished my 10test on the 15th). Another high day on the 17th and then low until my next period at Day 21.

2nd Month: Once again I started to test on Day 6. The showing on this second month was low on Day 6-8 then on Day 9 I got a peak reading(day 10 as well). Day 11 was high and then low readings until I finished the 10-day supply. Note that I had the flashing 'm' start on day 16 (I guess the machine thought that given my peak was on day 9 my period should start around a week after.)

Today marks Day 28 since my last period started(still have a flashing 'm') and I just took a pregancy test which was positive! I'm ecstatic.

I would highly recommend this monitor as it took the guesswork out of figuring out when I was ovulating and all with minimal effort!

Good luck to everyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, July 23, 2010
Tobias Fünke (Salt Lake City, Utah) - See all my reviews
My wife and I purchased this monitor due to her irregular periods. Her menstrual cycle would occur approximately every 3 months or so, which made it very difficult to know when she was ovulating. We had been trying to conceive for a year and were planning on scheduling a fertility appointment until we had decided to give the monitor a try. We figured the monitor would be less than a fertility workup and we could use it on future planned pregnancies as well.

Long story short, this monitor never showed an ovulation cycle, which is what we were scared of. My wife basically was not ovulating, and this was confirmed by our family doctor. Our doctor was thankfully familiar with prescribing Clomid, which is now generic and less than $10 a prescription. Clomid works by blocking the estrogen negative feedback loop to the pituitary gland, causing increased FSH and LH hormone secretion, leading to more ovarian follicles and their rupture, which equals ovulation! While taking Clomid the monitor accurately showed increases in hormone levels up to the point of showing us when she was ovulating. Within 2 months of regular ovulation cycles, and the monitor tracking and confirming them perfectly, we conceived. My wife is currently 19 weeks pregnant and due in December.

This monitor was very helpful in us figuring out why we weren't getting pregnant and even more helpful in tracking whether or not Clomid was doing its job. Though it is a little pricey, as well as the replacement sticks, I believe that the purchase is well worth it. Especially if you have irregular menstrual cycles and would like to confirm whether you are ovulating or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars PREGNANT AFTER ONE CYCLE W/ PCOS & using CLOMID!, August 25, 2004
M. Robinson (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I would just like to state that I have PCOS, and although the instructions state this product does not work with women with my condition, it has worked for me. I have just received confirmation that I am pregnant after using this product for one cycle! The ClearBlue Easy Fertility Monitor gave me FIVE high fertility days (4 prior to me ovulating) and TWO peak days! I thought this might be wrong because most women ovulate within 36 hours of the "surge", so I double-checked by purchasing a $19 ovulation predictor by Answer, and it gave me those SAME TWO fertility days! I am not telling you to buy this product or not buy it, but it definitely takes the guessing out of trying to conceive. It turns out I ovulate a few days later than the "normal" mid-cycle. I ovulate on day 17 and 18 and have a 30-day cycle. If I hadn't purchased this monitor, I would still be thinking I was ovulating closer to day 15 like my doctor told me! There is hope for those of us out there with PCOS! Don't give up!

Clearblue Fertility Monitor Test 1 Count