5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite, 270 over 290
Published 14 months ago by Martufi

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with this item.
The club head is too large and the club too light for my liking! I tried to adjust my swing to accommodate the difference from my old club without success! Would really like to return or exchange.
Published 11 months ago by Anthony Barberi

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite, 270 over 290, May 14, 2013
Before I leave my review, let me say that I never leave reviews, but for this club, I feel it would be selfish of me if I didn't spread the word. I am a good golfer. I own nice clubs, mostly Callaway, although my putter is a Titleist Scotty Cameron and my sand wedges are Burners. Basically, I don't use garbage. When it comes to woods/drivers, I've been loyal to Cleveland, as this brand has always been good to me. Prior to my purchase, I demoed 6 drivers. Nike Covert, Callaway Rzr., Taylor Made Rocket Ball, Taylor Made Burner 2.0, the Cleveland Classic 290, and of course the Cleveland Classic 270. I liked them all, as they are all good clubs, I have nothing negative to say about any of them, except the Callaway, I think it is over priced. I don't like the weight systems, I think that they are gimicks and that if you can't hit it straight, the answer is practice, not wrenches.

Here is why I chose the Classic 270: During my demo, I consistently hit 260 yards, dead straight. Now and then I'd hit 280, sometimes I would dial back to 240. Again, dead straight. It was like a homing missle. The club is very forgiving. I'm good, but never have I been able to show off like I can with this club. It only takes a nice smooth swing with the proper tempo to launch a ball with this club. It is also the lightest driver on the PGA Tour. It already comes with an after market shaft. More bang for your buck.

Here is why I chose the Classic 270 over the 290: I demoed both. And I found that I got only about 10 more yards with the 290, but my consistency was off; some shots faded, some shots drew. I couldn't seem to find my swing. Really, the only difference is the weight of the club head, and the 270 seemed easier to control. I'd rather hit 250 dead straight, hitting the fairway like a Patriot Missle, than 280 all over the place, bouncing off trees like a pinball wizard. The bonus is that the 270 is slightly cheaper than the 290, and you get better accuracy for less cost. What's not to love about that.

Conclusion: This is my favorite club. Everyone at the golf club asks to borrow it when they are having an off day, you know, to get their morale back up. We've all been there. My father keeps hitting his Callaway into trees and sand and thinks that tinkering with the weight wrench is the answer. Eventually, he will admit that I made the better purchase. Save the wrenches for home improvement, buy the Cleveland Classic 270.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful classic look, modern day distance, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Cleveland Golf Men's 270 Classic Driver (Sports)
My local D**ks had the Callaway X Hot Pro on sale with a free hybrid thrown in. It really was a great deal so I went in and actually had the Callaway clubs in hand, and the helpful guy who also gives lessons had retrieved the head covers for the Callaways. Then I discovered the clearance rack, and saw this driver in a 10.5 with a matching fairway 18' wood. Both had regular shafts, where the Callaway hybrid only came in stiff. Long story short, took all the clubs into the simulator, and in the end, hit this driver straighter and a little longer than the Callaway. Obviously the fairway Cleveland wood out drove the Callaway hybrid since the fairway wood is longer and a bit stronger. But I keep an original Cobra Baffler in my bag from 1974, so I really didn't need a new hybrid.
BONUS: This club with a matching 18' fairway wood was $30 less than the deal on the Callaways, allowing me to buy some balls and keep the total the same. Funky looking headcovers, but the driver hits well, HUGE face for possible mis***s, the shaft flex is wonderful, and I love the look over the Callaway. Very traditional and classic looking, as the name implicates. I'd give it a try before it disappears.
On my first 18 I found that I was spraying the ball a bit, getting used to the offset. About the fourth hole, it really settled in and I started outdriving my usual partner for the first time ever. He hits a fairly new Taylor Burner and has won numerous local tournaments over the years. By the eighth hole, he asked me if he could hit it. I'm 64, he's 73. Our drives usually are in the 195-210 range. We measured his one hit at 236 by fairway markers and my phone GPS golf app. I continued to outdrive him for the remainder of the round, even some off hits where I would be at the side of the fairway, him in the middle.
Love the light weight, and I did change out the stock grip for a 1/16" oversized Tacki Mac as soon as I brought it home, to compensate for my arthritis. Overall, one heck of a driver.
UPDATE: April, 2014. My regular partner is a fellow who is older, but his house is littered with trophies and he hits a ball well. I REGULARLY outdrive him with this club, not so my Callaway Razr X which I parked for this. I think I have been converted to a Cleveland Classic fan. Doggone, does this thing hit a ball far... He tried it out TWICE today and tried to buy it off me. His Taylor Burner with the white paint simply could not keep up.
SECOND UPDATE: My neighbor, after our round of 18 today could not take it anymore. Called his local D**k's and found that they still had two on the shelf. Ran down and bought one immediately. As he put it, "Enough is enough". I outdrove his Burners today with such power he just got very upset. Now...I have to contend with him also hitting a Cleveland 270. Argh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great driver, September 4, 2013
Driver is exactly what I was expecting. Love the feel and performance. Would highly recommend to anyone who wants to increase swing speed and distance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the price and performance so far, July 8, 2013
(12 degree Stiff)...no head cover....The shaft is really more like a reg flex (mid kick)....I consider it a 2wood rather than a driver and you can hit it off the deck....I usually hit a low ball and the 12 degree works fine for me....Love the retro look....not disappointed yet..."its the Indian not the arrow"

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, June 28, 2013
Don't know how they did but ordered on Father's Day and had club 2 days later. Great service, great club, good looking and easy to hit. 3 balls had a great price and couldn't ask for better service would definitely use again

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true., June 13, 2013
Being an older golfer, I was having trouble getting the club head through the ball. This lightweight club has solved that problem. I am getting more distance with straighter shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow this is long off the tee., March 19, 2013
I had a Taylormade 2008 tour burner prior to getting this. I got the 270 with the 39 gram shaft, he lightest one they make. It's really light with a big face. I went to Dick's sporting goods to test one out. I liked it and found this one on Amazon new for half the price. Bought it and haven't looked back. My taylormade driver was a 10.5 degree with a stiff shaft which I averaged 260 off the tee. I got this Cleveland classic in a 9 degree with a stiff shaft and I am getting 290 off the tee now. I've even had a few that went over 300. Although the shaft is stiff it doesn't feel as stiff as other stiff shaft drivers that I have owned. It's somewhere between a regular flex and stiff flex. All I can say is that it feels good. I think the little bit of extra flex with the lightness and the decrease in loft are the things that helped me get more distance. The flex helped me with a little bit of whipping action, then lightness in club speed, ant the less loft allows for a more penetrating ball flight with more roll at the end. On the flip side this club is very workable and requires a smooth on plain swing with a square club face to keep the ball straight. If you can hit it straight and are looking for a little more distance, give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clubface suits my eye, January 5, 2013
Light weight, easy to hit. The club face is neutral( not too open oer too closed), suits my eye well.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great club & price was right, November 11, 2012
The Cleveland classic driver 270 senior flex met all my expectations. It's a superior product. It's lite easy to swing & has good shaft flex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, May 25, 2012
Lake4work (Woodinville, Wa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cleveland Golf Men's 270 Classic Driver (Sports)
I hate --- I mean HATE to give such a positive rating on things. But, this time I must. Before I made this online purchase,
I went to a golf shop and swung it a few times. It felt a little mushy, But I have somewhat of a slow, deliberate swing and thought perhaps
a shaft with a little more flex to it might be the answer, although I've tried senior shafts before and I just can't seem to
control them.

I've been really happy with my Cleveland HiBore XLS, which to now has been the longest, straightest driver I've ever hit, and is about 3 or 4 years old, so being familiar with Cleveland products I thought it was time to spend a few bucks and get something really nice. I haven't been happy at all with Taylormade products because their shafts feel too stiff for me, and I hate those ugly white heads. Those things are hideous! Further, I haven't noticed any improvement in quality of TM clubs -- they've pretty much run out of their gimmicky ideas as of several years ago, and now are banking on the new paint jobs, I guess. But, apparently Cleveland is doing the same thing with these new clubs.

I took the chance on this club because I really liked the look, and I am somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to golf. I really miss the persimmon look, and this fit the bill as far as looks. To me, the more pleasing the club looks to me, the better it feels.

Anyway, out on the course I was pleasantly surprised. I selected the regular shaft which seems to have just the right amount of flex and kick to it. I love the feel of it. The sound of this club is just like that of the older persimmon woods, with maybe a little more "click" to it. And, straight, down the middle they go! I can't say this club will be much longer (maybe a yard or two) but the confidence I've developed hitting it has really helped my game. I find myself in the middle more often.

If there is a negative to this club, other than it's too spendy, it's the head-cover. I'm really disappointed in it, it doesn't stand up to Cleveland's normally excellent quality head-covers. But, I guess like so many other companies trying to save a few production bucks, I can't blame them. At least they didn't skimp on the club itself, and that's the important thing. I'd rather use an aftermarket set anyway, a set I can tie together so I can just flip them off (so to speak) when I need the club. As far as rating stars, I'll give them a pass for this, but next time Mr. Cleveland, watch it!

Cleveland Golf Men's 270 Classic Driver