4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 4 months ago by Sam

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely looking projects, inadequate instructions
If I could have given the book 3 and a half stars I would have. The projects look beautiful, and some have instructions that are clear. Unfortunately, the book as a whole is disappointing.

Published 17 months ago by Barbara

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely looking projects, inadequate instructions, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Clever Crocheted Accessories: 25 Quick Weekend Projects (Paperback)

I consider myself an intermediate to advanced-level crocheter, and have completed a variety of projects. As a beginning sewist, I loved Brett Bara's Sewing in a Straight Line: Quick and Crafty Projects You Can Make by Simply Sewing Straight and found that book's instructions clear and well photographed.

Unfortunately, "Clever Crochet Accessories" is more like a crochet coffee table book. The projects are beautifully photographed, giving two or three views of each accessory. Disappointingly, the instructions seem like an afterthought. Some of the projects do have diagrams and well written instructions. A few more charts and diagrams would have made a big difference for the majority of the projects. Did the publisher set a page limit per project?

The instructions for the Pork Pie Hat (which looks like a really cool project) are particularly inpenetrable. The intro to the project describes it as made in Tunisian crochet, but the list of hooks doesn't specify Tunisian. I think it might need a double ended Tunisian hook, if indeed it is a Tunisian project, but the book doesn't say! A drawing of one or two (or all) of the special stitches used in that project would have made a world of difference, since I have never seen those stitches anywhere else. There are diagrams of basic crochet stitches at the end of the book, though if you need those diagrams, you've bought the wrong book.

Maybe it's me. Maybe this is an experienced-level book, designed to challenge the top level crocheter. It would have been nice if that had been made more clear.
It would have been a five star book with better instructions. The projects look really lovely, and I wish they were more accessible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weekend projects, December 31, 2012
I thought this would be good for someone who just began crocheting in the past year. Unfortunately I am having a hard time with the instructions and guess I need something even easier. I am definately glad that I have it for my library because someday I will be able to make these projects look as good as they do in the book

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 4, 2013
It's very hard to find patterns for crocheted garments and accessories that don't look dated or just plain ridiculous. This book has many innovative, classy and pretty things. Most of the patterns are things I would wear. 4 stars instead of 5 (4-1/2 actually) because it does contain a few of those tacky crocheted cliches like a horrid brooch and a stringy shoulder cape, but the good patterns far outnumber the bad, so I'm very happy I purchased this book and plan to make many things out of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars not for a beginner, November 30, 2013
The items in the book are really cute and as an advanced crocheter I've tried several. I've had trouble following several patters but specifically the feathered cloche pattern does not create the hat pictured. The pattern just makes no sense and I can't see how a beginner would ever figure it out. very frustrated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever Corchet..., June 13, 2013
Most of the projects invite re-creation. I immediately started with the shawl (gray)...loved making it and gifting it to my daughter. Then the mittens -- to which I added a matching hat using the same stitch pattern. (Fun) Now working on the cover beret making alternate color ribbons of black and white. Saving Pork Pie Hat for later...level of difficulty a bit much...but worth the purchase of the book for challenges it offers the crocheter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Patterns, February 25, 2013
I have made some items from the patterns in here. They are beautiful on the outcome. There are plenty of positive feedback on the items I have made. They are cute, different, and head turners. The pattern especially on the cover, the Bruges Lace is a catchy hat to wear. I have reduced the pattern down to a beanie from a beret. Beret or Beanie, it is so cute to wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me enjoy crochet again . . ., January 5, 2014
I am an avid knitter, but my Grammy taught me to crochet when I was a kid. All the patterns out there for crochet seem so frumpy and old-fashioned, that I hardly gave them a glance . . . until I found this book. My husband bought it for me for Christmas from my Wishlist and I haven't stopped crocheting since! The patterns for this book are very interesting, but not unattainable. I've made several hats already from it (lots of compliments received, I might add) and just want to keep going and trying new patterns. One of the best books I've found for awhile!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and easy, December 6, 2013
Have completed a few of these projects. The projects are for the most part short and interesting but fairly easy to accomplish. I think I've made at least 3 or 4 of the hat on the cover as well as the headwrap.

5.0 out of 5 stars hats, February 7, 2013
Amazon Customer (Hanford, California United States) - See all my reviews
I love the book with all the hats. Will be getting more books just like it. easy to follow instructions...

5.0 out of 5 stars Designs That Make a Knitter Itch to Crochet!, January 20, 2013
Although I'm more of a knitter than a crocheter, CLEVER CROCHETED ACCESSORIES has a lot of designs that make me itch to pick up a crochet hook! My favorite design is the man's "Sedimentary Hat" (sort of a beanie), but a close second is the woman's "Entwined Ear Warmer" (a wide, colorful, button-on band made of two interlocked half-bands). My husband is going to get one of those Sedimentary hats.

I also love the "Flowering Change Purse" (using an Inazuma metal purse frame), the "Silky-Soft Scarf (worked lengthwise in a shell pattern), the "Embellished Belt" (Tunisian crochet with embroidery and faux leather buckle), the "Interlocking Rings Necklace" (a tour de force made from metal key rings covered with sparkly thread crochet), and the "Amazing Motif Bag" (looks like it is made of loomed flowers, but the puffy flowers are crocheted motifs).

There are some pretty patterns for socks: "Diamond Lace" (with "eyelet" holes), and "Hiking Socks" (with faux "cables"). These I won't make, because I think knitted socks achieve a better fit, but I'm still impressed with the designs.

Because this is an Interweave Press book, the photography and pattern layouts are beautiful. Also, the instructions (whether written-out or charted) appear to me to be clear and easy to follow. There are written-out directions for executing the unusual crochet stitches, even though there are no illustrations for these stitches.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9763f2e8)

Clever Crocheted Accessories: 25 Quick Weekend Projects
Clever Crocheted Accessories: 25 Quick Weekend Projects by Brett Bara (Paperback - November 27, 2012)
$22.99 $17.17