4.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Short Story but Loved it Anyway
It always frustrates me when I download a book and only 10-20% of the book is the story and the rest is a preview. However Elizabeth Hoyt is such an engaging storyteller and all around wonderfully creative that I can forgive her for just about anything. She is a fantastic romance writer, highly recommend her work and I never tire of her stories.

Clever John is...
Published on October 11, 2011 by bibliophile2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairy tale and a preview
Published 11 months ago by Cindy DeGraaff

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Short Story but Loved it Anyway, October 11, 2011
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)

Clever John is a fairytale that I was unfamiliar with. It is about an uncle who will leave his kingdom to one of his three nephews if they can solve the mystery of who is eating from his cherry tree... Any more information that that would spoil an already short short tale. Well executed and reminiscent of those quick childhood stories you would read before bedtime with a satisfying fairytale ending.
I am looking forward to her new release.

4.0 out of 5 stars One perfect fairy tale for free, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
Mrs Hoyt introduces her short story explaining how she loves them and how she mixes myths and fairy tales to craft her stories.

This is a very intelligent move since her genre might have been misconstrued.

What follows is the perfect fairy tale, redolent with familiar themes and endings. Nothing too weird, with just enough of a twist so that this version is different from others tales. It also follows the precepts of a tale : is is short, has a simple plot, so as not to confuse a young reader (or listener) and it delivers a moral message.

The other 90 % of the book is the preview for Mrs Hoyt's next full length novel, Scandalous Desires. I would really have preferred other tales as I do not like such blatant attempt to make me buy a book. This is why I only give this kindle version four stars. The tale itself is worth five.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little fairy tale that delights, November 16, 2011
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
When I downloaded this and looked at it, I didn't expect to like it. Now that I've read CLEVER JOHN, I can say that I loved it. This is the first of Elizabeth Hoyt's writing that I've read, and her introductory "Enchanted by Fairy Tales" was so interesting to me that I thought about how long it has been since I read a fairy tale. The idea of a fairy tale within each book that she writes is very appealing, and I'd love to read them all. I don't read romance, but I'd love to read the fairy tales.

In Clever John, the uncle of three nephews decides to leave his kingdom to the one nephew who can figure out who or what is stripping his cherry trees every night of their fruit. The author did a wonderful job of working this fairy tale out, and so much so that I could have finished this and gone on to read another.

The writing is very clean and clear. It's quite a nice story to read over again, and I just might have to try that romance novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting fairytale by the talented Elizabeth Hoyt!, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
Anyone who has read Elizabeth Hoyt's work knows that she includes a fairytale in each of her books. The fairytales are told bit by bit at the beginning of each chapter and they complement or mirror what is going on in the book. CLEVER JOHN is the fairytale Ms. Hoyt has written for her spectacular third Maiden Lane book, SCANDALOUS DESIRES.

Even if you're reading CLEVER JOHN as a standalone fairytale, it's a delightful read. Ms. Hoyt makes every word count in her stories, and though short, CLEVER JOHN is wonderfully satisfying. As with many of Ms. Hoyt's full-length books, CLEVER JOHN is a story I'll be reading over and over again.

The release of CLEVER JOHN also makes me desperately hope that Ms. Hoyt's publisher will make her other fairytales available. As much as I enjoy reading them in the books, it would be wonderful to be able to read the fairytales straight through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Promotion for Scandalous Desires, May 10, 2014
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
This is really just a promotion for Scandalous Desires. It has an extended preview for the novel. It also has the fairy tale that graces that book in full. It was very interesting reading the fairy tale as a full story but there is not much else here.

But it is certainly nice as a promo and Hoyt has a nice introduction that emphasis her love for fairy tales.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and entertaining book on fairytales., May 8, 2014
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
I liked the morale of the story, and it was easy and entertaining to read. I believe it is a prequel to a book. Very interesting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairy tale and a preview, March 8, 2014
Cindy DeGraaff (Scotts, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
This is a very short retelling of the fairy tale by the same name and a preview( several chapters) of the book in which the author uses the fairy tale as inspiration for her story, "Scandalous Desires". That is an excellent book by this author and one I thoroughly enjoyed when I read it in paperback edition several years ago. This book is part of her Maiden Lane series the first of which is "Wicked Intentions", then "Scandalous Desires" followed by "Thief of Shadows"and then "Notorious Pleasures". I would recommend reading the books in order, because the relationship between the main characters in Scandalous Desires really begins in the first book, and it's helpful to understand the full dynamics of the family members as well. I recommend the whole series with the caveat that they contain some steamy bedroom scenes and as they're set in the Seven Dials/ St.Giles, the docks/ wharves areas of London among the orphanages and poorhouses, and not Mayfair, there is some violence as well.
This fairy tale and preview of Scandalous Desires is a clean read, what there is of it. Get the whole books! I haven't read anything by this author that I haven't at least liked. Most of it I've loved. She's on my list of authors whose books I will pick up without reading the jacket, simply because their name is on the cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time for Hoyt Fans, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
Clever John doesn't include new material - it is primarily a letter from the author to her fans regarding the fairy tales that begin each chapter of her Ghost of St Giles stories, and that she makes them up. Clever John is one of her fairy tales, it is recited in full here, and the story is entertaining (although a very short read). However, if you've been following the Ghost stories you already have this fairy tale, so there is no new plot or information here. Because it's free, it's possibly interesting but in any busy schedule it is truly a waste of time. Consider yourself forewarned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read., October 24, 2013
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
I like how it was shown that with all his wealth he had really nothing or no one to share it with. As he grows old he realized that what he really wanted was right in front of him all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Man can this woman write!, May 13, 2013
This review is from: Clever John (Maiden Lane) (Kindle Edition)
Sweet short fantasy story and the preview of her book hooked me immediately!
I have read HUNDREDS of historical romance novels. Now that I'm a bit older I don't mind the open door romance as much, and since I'm a writter myself I decided to rekindle my ¨spicy¨ reading habit for, er, research purposes. In any case, this author is a Master! I'm afraid she's dethroned Jude Deveraux.

Clever John (Maiden Lane)
Clever John (Maiden Lane) by Elizabeth Hoyt