5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for training cats!
I bought this book to help me understand how to train my very active Bengal. He needed to learn some manners, and we both needed a "common language" so we could communicate with each other. This book was specifically recommended to me by a cat behavior specialist in Seattle.

Published on November 29, 2004 by Violet

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best clicker training book
Published on October 5, 2008 by M. M.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best clicker training book, October 5, 2008
This review is from: Clicker Training for Cats (Karen Pryor Clicker Books) (Paperback)
After reading the reviews of this book and the similar Cat Training in 10 Minutes, I decided to purchase both so that I could compare them and benefit from two different sources. However, after reading both manuals and having been clicker training my cat for several months now, I can definitively say that this book -- Clicker Training for Cats by Karen Pryor -- just doesn't measure up in content, quality, accessibility, and organization to Cat Training in 10 Minutes.

1. Comprehensiveness of Clicker Theory: 4/5 stars. The theory used in this book is operant conditioning. Using a clicker followed by a reward, you can reinforce desired behavior in your cat. Verbal commands (come, sit) are incorporated in this book; strangely, hand signals are *not* incorporated, which is too bad because they're quite effective.

2. Accessibility: 1/5 stars. I was surprised to find that this book is not written like a training manual; rather, it's a collection of wordy stories about the author's own cats. Now, I love cats and enjoy stories about their antics, but I was constantly wishing that Ms. Pryor would just get to the point and tell me the training steps. Instructions are verbose and not highlighted nor numbered; they are buried deep within the thick jungle of her banal narrative, so it's difficult to find them. (If you buy this book and plan to come back to it as a reference, use your highlighter the first time you go through it because you'll be hard-pressed to find the instructions again.) There are no illustrations that show you what to do or how your cat will likely respond.

3. Organization: 3/5 stars. This book is arranged into four chapters and an appendix. Chapter 1 covers the theory behind and basics of clicker training. Chapter 2 covers several "useful" commands, such as coming when you call, walking on a leash, etc. Surprisingly, there is no instruction for teaching your cat to sit, sit up/beg, shake, or lie down. Chapter 3 covers several "non-useful" commands, like playing the piano and high-speed moves. Chapter 4 discusses undesirable behavior. Lastly, apparently Ms. Pryor left out Chapter 5: Resources. She references it in the second sentence of Chapter 3, but this "ghost chapter" is nowhere to be found in the book. Whoops. Overall, the organization of this book isn't terrible, but it isn't great, either.

4. Correcting Undesirable Behavior: 2/5 stars. In her chapter on this subject, the author mostly gives anecdotes/psychological insight without specific correctional instructions, which I found frustrating. For instance, she describes how one couple realized that their cat was scratching the couch because it wanted to go outside -- yet she lists no tactics for getting the cat to stop scratching! On the upside, Ms. Pryor does describe a wide variety of problem behaviors: finicky eating, getting along with dogs/other cats, yowling, shedding, ankle-biting, and aggression. But again, she mainly gives anecdotes instead of correctional instructions.

5. Helpful/Extra Features: 0/5 stars. Ms. Pryor's book has a woefully short Appendix section that lists 15 Tips for Clicking With Cats. That's it. No alphabetical or subject index. Those 15 tips are also conveniently published on her website, so there's no added value in them being in the book.

Bottom line: This isn't a horrible book, and you wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice if you purchased it. However, my honest advice to anyone looking for information on this subject is to purchase Cat Training in 10 Minutes, as it is far superior in all aspects. If you're skeptical, then check out both books, as I did, and you'll see just how much better Cat Training in 10 Minutes is. Good luck, and here's to your cat learning some great new tricks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for training cats!, November 29, 2004
Violet (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews

The book is an easy read, as it is not overly long or complicated. The techniques are simple to understand and are explained in clear terms.

The clicker training techniques were originally used to train marine mammals, like dolphins! I have seen the amazing things trained dolphins can do when trained, so I thought surely my cats can benefit from this technique as well.

The book suggests that you begin with a very simple little trick, which actually comes naturally to your cat. Once your cat figures out that by performing the trick he has trained YOU to give him a treat, the rest is a piece of cake! My cat enjoyed the training and it provided some nice bonding time for us. It was exciting to be able to clearly communicate with my cat and know he understood exactly what I was saying.

My Bengal can now (on command)"sit," "get down," "jump up," and walks on a leash. The training only took a few minutes a day, and in less than a week the communication between me and my cat had improved significantly.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to understand their cat, change or improve their cats' behavior, or anyone who wants a fun way to create a bond with their pet.

5.0 out of 5 stars We call her Donut the Wonder Cat, July 17, 2009
I read about clicker training and decided to give it a try. Pryor's book is easy to follow and you can achieve results very quickly. It's a great tool for bonding with your cat. My cat Donut was a feral kitten who never properly socialized to humans, although she was gently and lovingly raised. Pryor explains how clicker training can make your cat calmer and more responsive, and since I've been working with her, I can attest. She has a bad attitude, generally, but she seems to be getting nicer over time. People just do not believe what she can do, as everybody always thinks cats cannot be trained. Clicker train--it works!
Here's what my cat can do: Comes when called by name, comes with a "rap-rap" signal, sits, "targets" to a pointer or to my finger, lays down, rolls over, stays, rises up and pats my hand with an "up-up-up" command, gives me "five", can chase a thrown object and touch it with a paw when given the command "touch," and can discriminate among sizes of objects and touch the one thrown rather than a closer one, touch a little bag of treats when she wants one, and I'm teaching her to hop through a hoop. All of this using clicker training! She loves for me to put her through her paces and I enjoy working with her, too. Get this book.
Amaze your friends, and let them think you have a genius cat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, but also buy Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog!", May 16, 2008
K. Boyle "KSB" (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I read this 75-page book in about an hour and a half. It's a good read, but at the end, I didn't feel prepared to train my kittens. In fact, I tried to do a training session with one kitten, and she didn't even do any reinforcable actions!

Long story short, you need to buy Pryor's book Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training to get an idea of the theory behind clicker training. The book is actually not about dog training - it's about behavioral training theory, and it's really insightful. Chapter four covers eight ways to deal with unwanted behaviors. Cat jumping on the kitchen table? Method 1: get rid of the cat. Method 2: punish the cat by squirting it with water... Method 6: put the behavior one cue. That is, train the cat to jump up on the kitchen table, and never give the command!... Method 8: change the motivation. Give the cat her own place in the kitchen to hang out that's even *better* than the kitchen table, like a cat stand.

And even with both of these books, I still recommend going to YouTube and watching videos of people clicker training their cats. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent introduction to clicker training for cats, July 8, 2006
Frank H. (Portland, ME USA) - See all my reviews
I found this book very informative on the benefits of clicker training, how to get started with the cat, and how to train specific desirable behaviors using the clicker. The author also addresses times when clicker training can be used to eliminate bad behaviors, as well as other reasons they might be displaying undesirable behavior.

Although quite short and an easy read, the author managed to cover many topics of interest. From start to finish, the book is quite specific to cats and their peculiarities, including a number of amusing anecdotes. If anything, I could have used a little bit more of step-by-step procedural instructions on how to conduct the training.

I've just started training my very active part-Siamese kitten using the clicker. After only a couple of sessions, I can't speak to the long-term results, but the cat did learn to touch a stuffed animal for reward, and we are working on cues.

2.0 out of 5 stars Way Too Anecdotal, November 29, 2013
Before this book, I tried to learn as much about clicker training as possible to train my cat, and even managed to teach her a few tricks. Give me a high five, sit on command (with only a 50% success rate), and touch my finger with her nose. But I ran into roadblocks. I thought, this book should help, right? Well, no, not at all. Let's do this review through what I was having problems with.

The first problem I had was that I "chained" a behaviour; the cat knows that when I shake the treats, she should sit, but how do I make it so when I say "sit" she sits, without the treats? Never found out, not through this book.

Second problem: how do I teach a command that is not natural? For example, if I want my cat to jump through a hoop, how do I encourage the hoop jumping? This book had a cute little anecdote about how she trained her friend's cat to play a note on the piano, but with no instructions on something similar. Pryor says you should train the cat to touch a target, with exactly ZERO instructions on how to do so! So that was useless.

My last problem was that I taught my cat how to touch my finger with her nose. I wanted to move my finger to kind of "pull" my cat to do stuff, but if I start moving my finger, even a little, then she stops doing the trick. Again, the book did not teach me how to fix this.

Now, I didn't expect that this book would be the be all end all of cat training books. But that's where the title comes in; the book is cluttered with Anecdotes about ... different things. At one point she talks about how her cat gets addicted to a toy. Great. Now I'll know what to do if my cat gets addicted to a toy, which has never before happened to me, but has maybe been a problem for others. It wouldn't be too bad, except they're not very informative. The entire book reads like "Look at all of these cool things you can train your cat to do!" Which is great. But tell me HOW.

I feel like the most useful part of the book was the end list, 10 things to now about cat training. Short and direct, which is what I need. "Want your cat to do X? Train it by doing Y." BAM. Not "Your cat can do Z! Now here's a paragraph about W, which may or may not be related!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable book!, July 18, 2013
Caroline (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
Based on the reviews for this book I also bought Cat Training in 10 Minutes because I wasn't sure whether this book would easily supply me with the information needed to get started. I actually think, contrary to several reviews, that his book is superior. Karen Pryor does a MUCH better job explaining in the first 17 pages of the book what clicker training is all about and how it works. This is extremely useful for novices who have never clicker trained before. She methodically teaches you a step-by-step approach. I did not feel that Cat Training in 10 Minutes adequately described how to "prime" the clicker to get started. Unless I get clear, precise instructions on the first few steps how can I become successful with more advanced training? Those first steps are crucial! Clicker Training for Cats guides the reader step-by-step when to train, how to train, how often to train and what treats to use to reward your cat, among many other great suggestions. I therefore don't understand several reviews that claim that Karen Pryor only tells anecdotes about her cats and how this book is useless. That is just not an accurate representation! My scared kitty that I adopted from the shelter is responding beautifully. She is becoming a far more confident and secure cat. This book was invaluable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Karenp, April 26, 2012
Wow! I was aware of people using this technique with dogs and was somewhat skeptical about using it with a cat. We had been having problems with our cat using the couch as a scratching post and really needed to stop this behavior. We ordered the book and clicker and within a week all couch scratching had stopped. Our cat now goes only to his scratching post. The Clicker Method Works!

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this book!, August 31, 2007
This book is almost useless! I wish the author took her own advice and actually "got started" with the training instruction. This book is filled with antedotes and the author blowing her own horn. The only reason this book did not receive one star is because it can be used to give the reader a few ideas of what clicker training can do. That's it. That's all this book is good for. I do not advise purchasing this book.

Buy Cat Training in 10 Minutes instead. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs a companion, October 30, 2013
Starzo (San Leandro, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
It is a great book but I think a companion DVD or Video to assist with the training would be good as I am more of a visual person. I went to YouTube to watch videos on this type of training. I did get my cat to come when I called him and he taught me that sometimes he does not want a treat or food but just to be petted as his reward.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Clicker Training for Cats (Karen Pryor Clicker Books)
Clicker Training for Cats (Karen Pryor Clicker Books) by Karen Pryor (Paperback - July 1, 2003)
$16.95 $13.29