on January 13, 2011
Size Name: 1 TB
I do not recommend this product.

I purchased this product 4 days ago and returned it today. After doing the initial full backup and then three incremental nightly backups, I discovered that ClickFree's backup software does not allow multiple versioning. Whatever state your data was in at the last backup is all you can recover.

Here's an example. Let's say you are working on a document and unknowingly delete some important content from that document. You then save the document. That night a backup runs. The next day you discover that content is missing from your document. At this point, you can not recover the missing content from the ClickFree backup as the only version that is available is from the latest backup and that backup saved the document with the missing content - no previous versions.

Versioning is an important feature that should be included in all backup products. When I questioned ClickFree's support group, they confirmed that versioning was not possible with this product and said that multiple versions would take up too much hard drive space. This is a very odd explanation for a couple of reasons. (1) This is a 1 TB drive that could easily handle multiple versions of the average user's data, and (2) other well known backup software products include multiple versioning which manages available drive space by deleting the oldest version of the backup.

I have explored other options and have decided to try the Rebit SaveMe Automatic Backup and Recovery Appliance with Password Protection Desktop 1TB for Multi PC This product has versioning and many other important features including complete crash recovery.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2011
Size Name: 1 TBVerified Purchase
Even if this Clickfree didn't backup all of my computers flawlessly, quickly and easily, I would recommend it for the easy transfer of an entire IPod music library to a new computer. I was getting frustrated enough with the exercise that I was afraid I was going to have to drag my six year old Dell tower PC (it has to be 30 pounds if it's an ounce) into the Genius bar at Apple and have them do it. The Clickfree device claimed to be able to do it but I didn't believe it. I had tried a myriad of avenues trying to get files from various directories on my old PC into the ITunes library of the new Mac. I decided to try one last item which was the Clickfree. I followed the prompts (there is no user manual) and in less than an hour this device had transferred all 5300 songs to my new Mac. All I had to do was drop and drag the folder onto the ITunes icon. Boom done! The backup is also stellar. It backs up quickly and you can see the files and pick and choose what to restore. Trust me, I am no techie and if I can figure this box out, it is easy! It's the best $100 bucks I've spent in months. Don't hesitate to purchase this gem.
on June 6, 2010
Size Name: 320 GBVerified Purchase
Backing up my computer is an essential function that needs to be performed often. I have learned the hard way about the consequences of not doing regular back-ups. I have tried many desk-top solutions and the Clickfree Automatic is the best I have found.

Positives:

1. Excellent design - small, portable and attractive on a desk (or at least, it does not look like a piece of hardware that belongs tucked away in a data center).

2. Simple and quick to install.

3. Easy to configure, if needed.

4. Runs reliably.

5. Very fair price for 320gb of storage.

Negatives:

1. When the back-up routine initiates, a big pop-up jumps onto the screen, in front of and interrupting whatever the user is doing at the time. This is not harmful in any way, just exceedingly annoying. The pop-up can be minimized. The application should run completely in the background; unfortunately it does not.

2. If Microsoft Outlook is open when the back-up is running, as mine always is, another pop-up jumps onto the screen when Clickfree is in the process of backing up the Outlook .pst file. The pop-up says that the "file being backed-up is in use". This is a meaningless message as the file is properly backed-up. The message also can be minimized.

**** Update July 2 2010: There is an updated version of the Clickfree operating system available to be downloaded which solves my issue #2.

3. The back-up interval can be set in increments up to 2 hours between sessions, or the automatic back-up routine can be turned off completely. Since I am on my computer all day, having the pop-ups (described in 1 and 2 above) appear so often is really disruptive. The user should be able to set automatic back-ups to happen at any interval, even longer than 2 hours. Unfortunately that is not possible with this model. I elected to turn off the automatic back-up. What happens now is that Clickfree begins a back-up whenever the computer is turned on or wakes up from stand-by mode. This works well for me as I put my computer in stand-by several times each day.

Overall, I think this is a good product for a fair price.
on December 27, 2010
Size Name: 1 TBVerified Purchase
Drive is beautiful and appeared to be a great back up device. Software worked instantly on my Macbook 2009 and Macbook Pro 2010. This is Apple Only orientated review.
The hard drive Only Works Through the Back Up Software!. It can not be partitioned or altered in way, including the hard drive name.
If you want something to back up your system or selected parts of your hard drive it is a nice device.
If you are needing a flexible hard drive and back up and restore a system I recommend SuperDuper as back up software or ChronoSync, (there are others, but these are stable). A hard drive that is fast and has options including FireWire 800/400 is OWC On-The-Go Pro (OWC - Other World Computing).

Hope this is helpful,
Joe
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 17, 2011
Size Name: 1 TB
I own this, the mfg makes deceptive claims.
This is a really good to mediocre back up for windows, and worth the sale price under $100, but it claims to be NAS and multi OS capable...

First off, the ClickFree C2N ; claims "automatically backup all PC and Mac on your router" This is lacking some very important points;
1. the Apple PC must have an intel processor,
2. the Microsoft PC must have an intel processor.
And most importantly, 3. this is NOT network storage, it is a shared hard drive. Period.

The Clickfree C2N unit requires the connection to a computer that is connected to the network. C2N then uses the computer hardware and software by way of its own preloaded software program, to access other computers on the network and copy files; aka it is an automated "find and copy of hard drives in active & connected computers"

Clickfree is NOT NAS, very technically speaking it is a shared storage (just like any externally connected device), however, network accessible storage IS a stand alone hard drive which does not require the assistance of a computer.

All you get with the Clickfree is a hot running hard drive with a usb connection, and some proprietary software which requires intel chips on the computers to run.

A reasonable deal for a MS-PC user, but for Mac-PC or multiple OS users, it is a waist of $100+ as you can have a 2 terabyte external for $85 (last price googled).
on July 15, 2011
Size Name: 1 TBVerified Purchase
This is an amazing product and their tech support is fantastic.

I was a little concerned about my initial backup, as it only took 4 minutes to back up 12,019 files - I had expected it to take several hours. When I checked, it appeared it had backed up all my files, but I couldn't believe that was possible, in 4 minutes, so I called Click Free tech support.

A tech almost immediately answered - a happy surprise, in itself. He verified that everything had been backed up and answered a few questions I had about restoration of files. He advised me that everything backed up into it's original location and would be restored to its original location!

At the end of the call I asked the tech how long I would receive free tech support and was told "for life"! He then gave me an account number and encouraged me to call again, If I had questions or needed any help!

I could not be more pleased with the product and the service!!
VINE VOICEon April 2, 2011
Size Name: 640 GB
If you're hesitating, you can stop and simply get this Clickfree. It simply could not get any easier. I just finished with the install and first back-up. I mean, this is simple. As far as the clickfree part is concerned, here's what happens:

1. When you plug it in your system installs the driver.
2. Clickfree box asks you if you want to run it. Yes.
3. It tells you, in my case at least, that there is a new version of the software, do you want it? Yes.
4. It installs the new s/w and tells you to unplug and then plug your Clickfree back in. OK.
5. It opens again and asks if you accept its terms. OK.
6. It runs. On its screen there is an automatic count down to start. If you do nothing it will simply start backing up all your stuff. If you want, you can click on options at lower left to look see what special you might want backed up. I selected a particular folder just to insure that Clickfree did not miss it, as it was in a non-standard place. I think I was redundant there, but no harm.
7. Clickfree just does its stuff. Its screen when running shows how many of each type file it is finding in one column, then when it finds them all it starts backing them up and shows you the progress all the way in a second column.

So - to sum up, you simply install it and if you do nothing else, it starts to back up your stuff all by itself without you doing anything else.

Note that at least on my System 7 Home Premium, windows tends to open a box every time it notices something plugged in and asks if you want to open that device to look at the files. This box happened to be right on top of the Clickfree box itself, so I had to move the Windows box aside to accept Clickfree. Also, when Clickfree finished updating its S/W and told me to unplug and replug the device, Windows had a nervous breakdown, telling me that the update program had stopped and started looking for a solution to the non-problem. The update had stopped, because it had finished and had told me it was finished. Duh! Simply unplug and replug. Clickfree starts right back up again and does its backup thing.

Look, just get it. It works.
on February 2, 2011
Size Name: 1 TBVerified Purchase
I used it to back up my MAC while I did some cleaning up of another external hard drive, it worked well. Then I used it to serve as the main external backup for my PC. It reformatted itself and did that backup as well. Dual compatibility was the deal maker for me.
on January 14, 2011
Size Name: 1 TB
Bought this drive after a new Seagate 500 GB failed within 9 weeks. I am throughly astounded. The drive does what it's supposed to do and does it quickly. Your first backup will take a while while Clickfree organizes and copies all your files. I just backed up after a 6 hour session importing a new directory, text and 300 photos added to my doc and it took, oh, maybe 30 seconds. Your backup is organized in two ways: According to file organization and according to the exact organization in your original computer. So it's easy to find info because you look in the same place on the backup.

I don't often rate products this highly because invariably something is not as described or it ends up being a shoddy, poorly designed instrument. This time Clickfree gets my absolute, 100% approval.

(I am not associated or employed by Clickfree.)
on February 13, 2011
Size Name: 1 TB
After our 300MB external drive was dropped and was DOA I was anxious to have a back up device. We have multiple PC's/laptops in our family and while not brutally complex to partition and perform back ups on a "conventional external drive", it was not my favorite activity, thus back ups were done fewer times than prudent. After reading multiple reviews of many brands I bought the C2 1TB Clickfree USB 2.0 and within 1.5 hours I unpacked it and had four PC's back upped. Dead nuts simple. I've recommended Clickfree to many.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations