5.0 out of 5 stars ClickFree 160GD External Hard Drive Great
Published on November 30, 2008 by Quayquai

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning - Vista/Corporate domain log in
Published on January 20, 2009 by D. L. Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars ClickFree 160GD External Hard Drive Great, November 30, 2008
This review is from: Clickfree Automatic Backup 160 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive HD801 (Metallic Silver) (Personal Computers)
I've used the ClickFree on 2 computers and it keeps track of what information is from each computer, separates it. It downloads the entire computer in about 20 minutes if you have high speed. On my new computer of about 6 months, it only took about 4 minutes to download everything I had on it. This item is great. I can now transfer all my information from one computer to another one in a flash. Just click and do nothing more, just wait and it does everything for you. It even updates from the last thing you downloaded, continues from where you left off and downloads only the new info. Fantastic

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Auto-Restore From Vista and XP to Windows 7, November 7, 2009
PLEASE NOTE CLICKFREE AUTO-BACKUP DEVICES COME WITH DIFFERENT HARD DRIVE SIZES -- I RECOMMEND YOU SEE THE REVIEWS FOR OTHER MODELS, AS THEY MAY PROVIDE ADDITIONAL OPINIONS RELATED TO CLICKFREE AUTOMATIC BACKUP DEVICES IN GENERAL.

AND SO MY REVIEW ON THE 250 GB MODEL HD225:

Like just about everyone, I've lost a lot of data over time, given Window's lack of reliability. I have thousands of photos, and all my personal records are digitalized as well, so data loss is just not acceptable anymore.

A year or so ago, I decided to try multiple back-up devices/services.

Last week, I bought the new Windows 7 three-pack, and installed it on all my computers. (I have three computer in my home, on a network. Two of them had Vista, and the oldest one, had XP.(See my ps below re the XP). I had to do a clean install on two of the three computers). Before doing the Win7 installations, I had started using the Clickfree device, as well as an off-site service called Mozy. I also frequently transfer data between the three computers to keep everything up to date, and I have an old Western Digital drive (it was sold with a supposed auto-backup capability, but true to WD, it didnt work; but its fine for drag-n-drop purposes). I also periodically back-up data to dvd's.

I first thought Mozy would be my best choice: but it proved very disappointing. Retrieving multi-gigabytes of data from their site is agonizingly slow. As an alternative to online retrieval, they also offer to mail you your data on a disc (or discs). I priced just one large file, and it would have been about $75 ! Anyway, I'm keeping Mozy because its pretty cheap (about $59/year) and I have used it to retrieve small files (for example, a Quicken data file), and it worked fine. It really is automatic too, running up to 12 times a day. You can also retrieve files from their site if youre traveling,

So, I relied on the Click-Free device, and it worked like a charm; it was amazingly fast in transferring all those files back to my computers. Maybe two hours tops. As far as I can tell, none of the files were corrupted or damaged or lost. (As opposed to backed-up data on CDs and DVDs, which I also found had too many corrupted copies - one disc with 1,000 photos was totally useless).

I agree with one commentator who said that Click-Free can be confusing. Its not as intuitive as I think it might be, but on the other hand, once I got the hang of it, it did its thing perfectly. Essentially, my stored files mirrored my hard-drive, so it was easy to check the box for the ones I wanted to do first; then go back and do a second round etc, so I could be sure it was working reliably.

You name each computer that Click-Free backs up, and then you just connect it via a common usb-type adapter. It then starts up automatically, and finds every file that youve changed since the last back-up. So the fitst time you back-up, it takes hours and hours, but thereafter it runs for just a few minutes. It can also remind you (via a pop-up) if you havent backup up for a certain number of days, which you specify.

I dont often write reviews on electronic devices. But as I know how many people will be transferring a lot of data in the next year, I thought I'd offer these comments. Of all the back-up mechanisms I've used (and believe me, I've tried just about everything), I think Click-Free is superior by a long shot. If they had clearer instructions, I'd give it a 5.

a ps: One of my three computers (the oldest, originally with Windows XP), sometimes did not recognize the clickfree when first "plugged in" via the usb. I called Clickfree tech support, got through immediately, and was told that on really old computers, the problem is almost always related to a relative lack of power sent from the usb port(s) to the clickfree. So they are sending me a dc power converter for free. It plugs into a separate 5v porton the back of the clickfree....excellent tech support...I'd raise my rating to a 4.5 if it were possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and easy to use unit. So Simple., August 13, 2008
Michael Wagner (La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this through the Canadian Home Shopping channel. I got the 160gb unit. It does exactly as it says. I plugged it in and it backed up my desktop. It took 5 hours for the first back up, then it only takes a few minutes for subsequent back ups. I have never used a computer attachment that is so simple to use. It is convenient and portable, it fits right in my pocket.

Great buy, I highly reccomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Computer Backup Drive, June 16, 2009
S. Cheshier (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
A great idea and the easiest possible way to back up your computer's files. Everything is totally automatic for either PC's or Mac's. You simply plug the Clickfree's USB cable into your computer and it automatically begins backing up without the need for any special software or complicated instructions. It does NOT back up programs, but only your personal files. This is not a big issue since you will likely have CD's from which you can reload your programs, but it is your personal files that would be hard to replace. The drive is only about the size of a deck of cards and there is an optional carrying case for it that is very worthwhile. It holds both the Clickfree and the USB cable. It will automatically keep files separate for multiple computers without you having to make any distinction in operating the drive.
Be very careful in ordering to get the "portable" 500 GB Clickfree. They also make another 500 GB Clickfree drive that is much larger and requires an external power cord (which the portable version does not) in addition to the USB cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome backup external hard drive, BUT...., June 4, 2009
Radonkey (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
Very useful drive for backup. Automatically is detected by your computer and updates files that have been changed. However, if you have Windows VISTA and 64-bit OS, the drive DOES NOT WORK. Consistently crashes the computer when hooked up with the BSOD. Clickfree support was not helpful. Also, you cannot use this drive with Mac and Windows synchronously. You have to format and use one or the other.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning - Vista/Corporate domain log in, January 20, 2009
Wanted to love this product, and on my first computer (running Windows XP SP3) it worked as advertised. Plug it in, wait ten minutes. Done. If that's what you're running, buy this product by all means. However, on my second computer,running Vista and with a log in required to my corporate domain, the ClickFree gives an error message that I don't have the permissions to run the software. Long story short, confirmed by both my corporation and the very nice and helpful people at ClickFree - the software within the device attempts to do something not approved by the corporation security settings, and neither my corporation nor ClickFree can exactly say what needs to be changed to make it compatible (or even if my corporation would approve it if they knew what it was). I had the feeling I could spend hours going between the two groups trying to figure it out, but I won't. DO NOT BUY FOR A COMPUTER RUNNING VISTA AND TIED TO A CORPORATE DOMAIN FOR LOG IN.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy, and worth every penny!, October 5, 2008
I purchased mine from a home shopping channel, at a lower price. I am extremely happy with this product. I use it at work and at home. I have almost 8000 photos and thousands of other files and still so much room on this thing. I have a Vista at home and XP at work. It truly is a Clickfree product on the XP. The Vista however, I do have to go to the Start menu, Computer, and then double click on the icon. But seriously, this is way easier than backing up all my photos onto discs.
It's a small enough to carry with me everyday without being in the way.
The first time I backed up it did not take very long, maybe 20 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy and painless!, December 9, 2008
I have purchased the device to use across 2 machines (1 desktop + 1 laptop) & it is the easiest back up device that i have ever used. This device has built-in software that truly enables 'click free' to the fullest. Literally, all you have to do is plug it in let the device do the work all on its own. Backing up 2+ machines will split the "save location" into their own so that files from each machine retain its own structure at the top (root) to easily distinguish-able format. The initial back up (full back up) will take anywhere b/w 5-20min or so depending on how much files you have but all the following, subsequent (Incremental) back ups are very quick (2-3 min). For advanced users, options are available in setting to set to save certain format type of files (out of 100's of supported type) or by location. Once it's set, again, all you need to do is plug it in. Additional neat feature is the auto firmware upgrade. When there's a new firmware available at the time when the device is connected to a PC, it will compare the current version on the device to the new version in the server and it will download, install automatically. Of course, all of your backed up data is retained after the firmware upgrade. Out of countless backup hardware/software i've used in my life, this device by far is the best back up solution that i've seen! I would recommend it for any personal/business users that can't afford to lose what they have whether it'd be pics, video, business doc, personal doc, email, contacts, book marks, game profiles etc etc!

5.0 out of 5 stars Automatic Back-up for The Less Tech Savy, April 13, 2009
For those of us who don't have the time or headspace to set-up a back-up utility, the Clickfree Automatic Back-up External Hard Drive does the trick. Plug it in and it backs up your files, simply and quickly. I understand that it doesn't back-up software and utilitites. Most of those resources are available through your system restore. Its just a relief to know that my documents, photos, and music are all covered. The device is small and extremely portable. I've not had to restore documents from this device, so I'm not sure about how that process works. All I know is that I can see my files on this hard drive after I have run the back-up. That's all I really need

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest backup product ever, May 1, 2009
I've had my 500GB drive for a few weeks now and I love it. I have my entire MP3 library on it. I've retired all my CDs into a drawer and carry around only my clickfree. When I connect it to anyone's computer I have my music ready to play right off the clickfree within a few seconds. My only complaint is that there is no way to play the music directly off the drive ;-)