5.0 out of 5 stars The future
Published on September 17, 2008 by Rica Web

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Concepts
Despite the fact this book has an awful cover, it is useful. Faith Popcorn presents a valid argument that we as a society need to observe the trends that are driving our culture. Some of the trends include, cocooning, clanning, icon-toppling among others. These trends make sense and are backed up by anecdotal evidence gathered by the author's company.
Faith is a...
Published on June 20, 2003 by Joseph Valentine Dworak

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Concepts, June 20, 2003
Faith is a futurist marketer, trying to predict what will happen next, and what consumers will want. There is some wiggle room, I believe, between the forces of what consumers want and what companies and culture demand that the consumer has to buy. Faith leans more towards trends should drive companies, rather than companies driving trends. Overall a useful book, but at this point some of the material is out of date, (note the 97 publishing date), but I am sure Faith is somewhere 'popping' some more ideas at her company, the 'brain reserve.' One pick with this book is the concept of 'female think' & 'mancipation.' While there is some validity to what Faith is saying, why does the chapter on 'female think' get two chapters and all other trends (17) get just one? Fair and Balanced? Faith, you are successful, quit trying to prove it to the boys club, who cares what they think of you, you are doing a great job. Just some observations. Grade of 'B'
Joseph Dworak

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless drivel, February 2, 2003
Utley (Eugene, OR USA) - See all my reviews
Trends? I'd say Faith is more of a keen observer of what's happening NOW rather than what may soon be. The first 20 minutes of the 90 minutes I heard (the audiobook) was a combination of wordsmithing, technospeak and self-promotion. If you want a good book about REAL unfolding trends, pick up Robert Reich's "Future of Success." He's not selling a product.

5.0 out of 5 stars The future, September 17, 2008
This book is a good reference about the future. I bought a copy in 1999 and now witnessing the trends as predicted - cocooning. I never thought I would spend so much time using the Internet. Today, I am almost utilizing the web just like a television. I also did online learning and now creating web sites for tutorials. I also bought so many books online that are not available in our local bookstores. There is another trend, however, that might happen very soon. People will revert to shipping because petroleum is dwindling in supply and becoming more expensive. The world today is having a hard time, a crisis, as a result of high fuel prices. The result is devastating because the food prices have gone up. Airlines are now having difficulties and limited its flights. Thus, it won't be long when sea vessels and ocean liners will become trendy once again to save on fuel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brainstormer's reflective device--interesting--good value., December 1, 1996
By A Customer
The trends Popcorn explains are plausible and clear.
She seems to be limited to business applications and
relates well to middle-class markets. The advice on
multiple screens to make sure an idea will hit solidly
is useful. Even coming up with brainstorm examples
with friends, yielded a viable new wrinkle on the
intersection of several tried and true product stand-bys.
Notably absent are demographic trends such as "ganging",
although she does allude to it in "clustering".

5.0 out of 5 stars This Should Be Required Reading..., July 9, 1997
By A Customer
This book is extremely good. There is a clarity to thought in this text that I have not seen in a book in a long time. Popcorn is one of those authors that must let her ideas ferment for a little while, because when she has something to say about something, we get it all... big ideas in digest form. We learn alot about people, markets, and products, and all name-dropping is relevant. I like this book so much I took the cover art and made a ppat of it for my Macintosh.
<P>
Although no mention was mad

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool to generate business ideas!, August 15, 1996
By A Customer
We used this book as a brainstorming tool for our company's
strategic planning process. I was spellbound by the vivid
descriptions and illustrative examples. It is amazing how
Ms. Popcorn and her firm can visualize the macro forces
affecting our lives now and into the future. I highly
recommend this book -- it really opened my eyes to the
"big picture".

5.0 out of 5 stars USE THIS BOOK TO GET IN SYNC WITH NEW TRENDS, April 5, 1999
By A Customer
I really liked this book because it helped me understand several new trends in how consumers behave. That gives me the insight I need to develop more effective marketing, avoiding the tradition stall that has held back our company in the past. I enjoyed reading what the authors had to say about why new Coke failed, which reminded me of the excellent story about the misconception stall that is covered in THE 2,000 PERCENT SOLUTION. If you want to be more in tune, read both books and apply what they have to say. Click.

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed your Target!, April 30, 2000
By A Customer
The book is recommended for college students yet most of the text is intended for the baby boomer generation and not the new savvy student. Better luck next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clicking : 17 Trends That Drive Your Business -- And Your, March 26, 2000
This is a very good book for anyone interested in long term trends and how to forsee some of the main trends for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really good book., May 31, 2001
This is a really good book. I learned a lot. I keep it on a shelf near my desk so people think I read it. I quote the parts I did read in meetings so people think I am cool.

Clicking: 17 Trends That Drive Your Business--And Your Life
Clicking: 17 Trends That Drive Your Business--And Your Life by Faith Popcorn (Paperback - January 6, 1998)
Used & New from: $0.01