4.0 out of 5 stars Lets settle this thing once and for all.
My guess is that many of you interested in trying a box of Clif Bars are confused and wary due to the intensely polarized nature of the reviews you've been reading on the internet. I'm going to try to offer a little more nuanced insight and hopefully can help you decide if you'd like them or not.

Let me start by saying that I think Clif Bars are pretty...
Published on May 2, 2005 by Bradley Lacke

3.0 out of 5 stars Expired product sent first week.
Great product in general, and the price is great when subscription is used. But the first batch came and one box in the pack was already a month expired. Having had them many times, they have a long shelf life (at least 6 months from what I've seen on the store bought packs) so I hope that isn't a pattern. I'll bump up the review if it turns out to be a fluke.
When...
Published on October 22, 2011 by M. J. Civello

4.0 out of 5 stars Lets settle this thing once and for all., May 2, 2005

Let me start by saying that I think Clif Bars are pretty delicious. I will also admit, however, that I am not very good to my tastebuds. I stay far away from pretty much all high glycemic carbs (sugary food) and saturated fats (savory food). So my daily Clif Bar is pretty much the only sweet treat my tummy gets. Having said that, let's determine in which camp you're likely to find yourself. I'm going to go ahead and say that most of the people complaining to the effect that Clif Bars don't taste so hot or have a gross composition would be more comfortable with a box of doughnuts. And I don't think very highly of the oft-repeated criticism that Clif Bars look gross. Who really gives what the thing looks like? Bust out some cake icing and decorate it if you can't get over the appearance; or close your eyes, or just go back to the recliner in front of the tv and spare us the agony of having to listen to you react to trying new things.

A common complaint that I will agree with is that Clif Bar flavors can be kind of same-y. That's not to say that they don't taste good, but if you're planning on buying them in bulk and testing out a few different flavors, spread out your choices among the flavor spectrum. Contrary to what you think, you will not find yourself reveling in the subtle nuances among the chocolate flavors. Here's a recommendation breakdown, assuming you're picking no more than one flavor from each of the following groups:

-As far as chocolate flavors go, Chocolate Almond Fudge and Cool Mint Chocolate are the best choices.
Stay AWAY from Chocolate Brownie. It tastes (ok, ok, and looks) like a serving of coconut oil-soaked asphalt.

-For fruit flavors, I'd recommend Black Cherry Almond, but you won't go wrong with Lemon Poppyseed or Cranberry Apple Cherry either.

-Most of the "specialized flavors" have enough effort put into them to stand out on their own even against each other. I'm basically referring to Carrot Cake and Pumpkin Pie. They are both ridiculously tasty. Go for it.

-If you're feeling boring, and you don't mind the fact that you can get a similar product from virtually any health food company, Peanut Butter is a pretty reliable standby. I get it just so that I have something to measure the more experimental flavors against. Same with Oatmeal Raisin Walnut...good for reminding you that the other flavors are spoiling you. There's nothing wrong with Chocolate Chip either, but really, what's the point of even getting a Clif Bar if you're that conservative?

So, to wrap it up: If you're a decadent eater, and can admit it to yourself, you're better off just staying away from nutrition bars. The only ones that are going to cut it for you are going to be the ones that aren't too nutritious at all. As far as actually somewhat healthy ones go though, Clif Bar tastes the best. If you appreciate healthy and unadorned food in it's own right, Clif Bars will be your new favorite snack.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expired product sent first week., October 22, 2011
M. J. Civello (Gurnee, IL United States) - See all my reviews
When they get to their expiration date, they get really dark, harder, and have more of the cardboard taste than the fresh ones.

Edit: The rest of the deliveries have been fresh so that was a fluke.

Added Comment: They keep shuffling the price! I subscribe at $.80/bar, they hike the price, I cancel, then lower the price, lather rinse, repeat.
I can get them for $.80/bar at Sams and Costco but it's a variety pack. There's only so much value in the convenience of getting only my fav bar without shopping, so I wish they'd stop testing and figure out a price structure! Cancelling again.

1.0 out of 5 stars I like this flavor but the bars were months past expiration, December 3, 2005
This rating is for Amazon sending me bars that were months past their expiration date. I have had this flavor (Spiced Pumpkin Pie) of Clif Bars before and I like it. However the bars I received from Amazon were dry, and the icing was yellow from age. The other flavor I ordered, Cranberry Apple Cherry, was fresh and as good as getting it from a grocery store. But I wish quality control at Amazon would make it so they do not send expired food to customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clif Bars, August 3, 2012
Tom "ontrac1" (Flemington, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Clif Bar Energy Bar, Chocolate Chip, 2.4-Ounce Bars, 12 Count (Health and Beauty)
I absolutely love these bars, however better price at WalMart instead of the subscription price here. About ten dollars a box at WalMart. In any event, they taste good and I've been eating one of these bars for breakfast, skipping lunch and eating a sensible dinner for about six months now. I've lost 40 lbs and I feel great. I'm currently at 194 lbs and being just shy of 6' I'm almost at an ideal weight for me. I realize these are not meant as a diet supplement or meal replacement bar but they certainly fit the bill for me. I'm tempted to eat more than one since they taste so good but I refrain. At 240 calories per bar I wouldn't reach for one of these as a snack but as a meal replacement bar or energy bar, as intended they are great. I believe these bars really helped me loose the weight I wanted to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfying, April 16, 2010
This particular flavor is one of the better ones out there. It has a very rich, very satisfying peanut butter flavor; even more than actual peanut butter in my opinion. I usually try to keep 3 flavors or so on hand. This is one of them and will be for quite some time. I would recommend this one, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut and Cool Mint Chocolate. Chocolate Chip and Black Cherry Almond are good, too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Holy Inflation, ClifMan!!!, June 3, 2012
Great bars but what the heck happened to the price?!

Just a few months ago, I was ordering several flavors of Clif Bars through Subscribe and Save for about $.85 per bar. Now the prices are 15.43($1.29/bar) Subscribe & Save: $13.12 ($1.09/bar).

This is now more expensive than most local stores like Target. I will not order these anymore when they're charging these prices, esp. for packages of a dozen...

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of Samoas, July 27, 2011
This has become my husband and my new favorite Clif bar. It reminds us of a healthier Somoas cookie!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for work, September 24, 2009
I'm trying to up my protein intake while reducing calories and fat. I tried the Banana Nut Bread bar because I usually like anything banana-flavored. This is very much like eating a slice of banana nut bread. It's not overly sweet. The previous reviewer noted that it's "greasy." It does have a somewhat moist/oily consistency, but I wouldn't call it greasy. I didn't find it to be objectionable because otherwise the bar would have been too dry and impossible to choke down. I didn't think it was gritty, either.

Bottom line: I like the flavor and the protein content, plus it's got some fiber (5 grams) and magnesium (25% RDA), which is a mineral I'm trying to increase in my diet. The bar isn't not over-sweet. Like other protein bars, this isn't low-calorie, so I have to keep that in mind.

What I do like is that the Clif bar is another thing that I can take to work and keep in my desk, to avoid going to Starbucks or the vending machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, not as sweet, April 29, 2009
J. Cheney (Providence, RI United States) - See all my reviews
The black cherry almond Clif bars are delicious. The almonds are roasted and really add a great flavor. They don't taste as sweet as some of the other flavors (cool mint chocolate, for example), but I loved eating them. The fact that it didn't taste like dessert was a blessing because they also lasted longer than my typical order.
I usually ate these with a meal or a lot of fluids, but noticed sometimes when I did not they did leave a strange after taste. I have more coming, so I'll update the review soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars cliff bars rock, November 13, 2011
... and this may be my favorite tasting version yet! I have relied on Cliff bars for many years, for biking, hiking and skiing. They are a great and healthy way to take in some nutritional and easy to digest calories during extended periods of exercise. I don't recommend them as meal replacements-- and if you eat too many of these as snacks, just as with ordinary candy bars, you will blow up.

Rate and Discover Movies