4.0 out of 5 stars Stories about love and loyaty.
The hype and "sound bytes" all center on Clifford, the Big Red Dog. Clifford is a big red dog, and, by virtue of his size, he does dominate the scene. But in actuality, the stories are about Clifford and his "owner", Emily Elizabeth, who devotedly loves and stands by here rater strange canine come what may.
These books have always appealed to kids. I have to admit...
Published on March 9, 2002 by David J. Gannon

3.0 out of 5 stars An ode to the original Clifford
Published on March 23, 2005 by E. R. Bird

4.0 out of 5 stars Stories about love and loyaty., March 9, 2002
David J. Gannon (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
These books have always appealed to kids. I have to admit that always seem to irritate me a bit. The stories, here and in the many other Clifford books, are just fine. Very sweet, with just the right amount of silliness. But the illustrations have always seemed second rate at best. The scale of the dog changes from page to page, the drawing is sort diffuse and scattered, the scene doesn't always seem to me to really fit the text, although, to be fair, the drawings are always bright an colorful.
On the other hand, these were written for kids, not adults and, as I say, I have always found them to be a hit with the kids. So, while this is not my series of choice, you definitely ought to give old Clifford a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars He's big! He's red! He's a dog!, June 11, 2000
By A Customer
He's big. He's red. He's a dog. What more can you say? Clifford is so popular that's there's a Clifford book for every season and nearly every holiday. As if that weren't enough, there's also a whole line of Clifford's puppy day stories, which also cover every season and most major holidays. This dog is huge -- in more ways than one!
The first book is very simple and very sweet, and it goes a long way toward explaining the popularity of the series. Instead of being a story about a big, red dog, it's a story about the special friendship between a girl and her dog. Emily Elizabeth loves her dog, despite what others may see as his shortcomings. yes, even Emily Elizabeth will admit that he has a few. For instance, when Clifford chases cars, he actually catches them and brings them home.
When Clifford doesn't win first prize at the dog show, Emily Elizabeth doesn't mind. She'll take Clifford over any of those other dogs any day. Reminds me of my daughter's fierce loyalty to Blackie, our stray mutt with chronic mange. Even when Blackie is going through one of her Mexican Hairless impersonations, my daughter still thinks Blackie is the best dog in the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars An ode to the original Clifford, March 23, 2005
I've never had much luck reviewing distinctly simple picture books like "Clifford". In the past, my observations of such books as the "Spot" series have been universally loathed by those parents who like their picture books sweet, simple, and relatively bereft of complexity. And "Clifford", sad to say, sort of falls into that category. But I hadn't read the books in years, and with the overwhelming popularity of the "Clifford" television series, I thought I'd give that big ole lovable red-tinged dog another go. So I went to the library, found myself a copy, and settled down. The book was pretty much as I remembered it. Simple words that kids can understand. Funny situations that a big dog can get into (chasing cats = chasing lions when your dog is big enough). All in all, I was a little surprised by how much I enjoyed the book. "There you go", I told myself. "You've been pooh-poohing this nice book all for naught". But you know what I really loved about "Clifford"? The killer illustrations circa 1963. They were great. The edition of the book I read was republished in 1985 and had all the classic elements of the genre. You meet Emily Elizabeth as she scoots up on a wicked soap box scooter. And those black and yellow striped socks of hers? Awesome! I also enjoyed how hangdogish Clifford sometimes looked. When Emily Elizabeth feeds him a cartload of cupcakes and tea, I loved his wide mouth and oddly disturbed expression. Yep. Sometimes the classic pictures are the best.

So I went to Amazon.com to write my I-liked-it-but-there-are-still-much-better-picture-books review. While determining which version to comment on (my copy was paperback but the only choices were board book or hardcover) I thought it might be wise to just make sure that the object I'd be reviewing looked the same as the current reissue. I mean, I wasn't worried particularly. Why would they change the original "Clifford"? Well I was in for a bit of a nasty shock. Thanks to Amazon.com's "Search inside the book option" I saw for myself how the mighty are fallen. They haven't just updated Clifford. They've radically redesigned him. No longer does Emily Elizabeth break out the classic shoddily built boxcar scooter. Now she's a pink wearing cardigan girl with remarkably boring white socks. Those kids who stared up at Clifford in horror? They're now grown-ups with better looking dogs. And Clifford? Well, let's just say he's completely lost his sometimes-mournful doggy expressions. This is a new streamlined Clifford for a new Millennium. I also doubt the "bad boys" referred to in the text look like the crew-cut poindexters I enjoyed so much in the original.

Now I know why this happened, of course. Times change. I mean, there wasn't a single minority to be found in the original edition. Now we have multi-ethnic couples looking up at Clifford with profound fear and distress. And that's not a problem. The problem I have is with the other updates. What was wrong with Emily Elizabeth's ever changing but always colorful array of socks? One minute they're green and black and the next they're pink and black. What was wrong with her soapbox derby or those oddly clean cut bullies? Ah well. The sad thing is that these recent changes, undoubtedly done for Clifford's 40th anniversary, took away a lot of the things that made the original book so much fun.

Not that your kids will care. They will still love Clifford as much as they ever had. They'll adore the idea of having their own house-sized mongrel to climb on and play with. And the fact that he's red is just an added bonus. It's a sweet book, yes. And it has a nice title character. But if you want my private opinion, the original's the best. It will not look 100% like the Clifford your kids see on t.v., but neither (for that matter) do a lot of the early "Arthur" books. There are better picture books for kids out there, but if you have picky children who only want to read books that have some sort of a connection to television, then you're not doing too badly with good ole "Clifford". The biggest, reddiest, doggiest pup there be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing beats Clifford., July 23, 1998
By A Customer
Reading to my son, Joshua, has been a tradition in the evenings since he was too young to understand what we were doing. Now, however, at the ripe old age of three he loves to read with Daddy and picks his own books out each night, running through the hallway with selections in hand. Clifford always seems to be in the stack and Clifford the Big Red Dog comes back more often than all of the other Clifford books he loves. He enjoys finding Cliffor (and this is not very difficult) and laughing when I can't. From a reading enjoyment standpoint, this one is fantastic for kids. And if you are in a rush to get them into bed, Clifford is always a quick read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The cutest dog ever!, December 10, 2002
A Kid's Review
This book is siginificant to me because I love animals, especially dogs! This book is good for children because it will show them its ok to be different. I have 3 dogs so I think I know how hard it is to raise pets, it would probbaly be just as hard to raise Clifford because he is so big. In this book Emily talks about how much she loves Clifford and she doesn't care how he looks and would never trade him for another dog. Overall, this was a pretty good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to hug Clifford, June 26, 2000
Michael (New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
Do you (or your child) want to hug Clifford as you read about his adventures? This plush doll (approximately 10")is the perfect addition to any Clifford collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginning Readers, March 28, 2002
By A Customer
Clifford The Big Red Dog is the most wonderful book I've ever read because its easy to read. The part I most liked is when they take Clifford to the island in a trailer. I think that ever child should read this book some times in their life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clifford, The Big Red Dog, October 23, 2002
A Kid's Review
When I read Clifford, The Big Red Dog I thought it was an interesting and fun book for children. It was made in 1988 and written by Norman Bridwell.
The book is about a young girl named Emily Elizabeth, and her dog Clifford. When Emily got Clifford he was small and tiny, but as they grew up together he got bigger and harder to take care of...as in some ways that he was the biggest dog in the City. When Clifford grows up Emily describes the activities she enjoys doing with her very big red dog like hide and go seek...giving him a bath...taking him to shows...but also gets in the way of everything such as...chewing shoes...scaring the zoo animals away... and diging up flowers.They also learn as they go along as they go along in life how they take care of each other.
I think the book would be a good choice for children to read because it tells and shows how Clifford gets in all this trouble because he is so big and can never hide from any of it, But Emily still cares for him and loves him, and would trade nothign in the world for her Big Red Dog.
I think this book will remain popular for a long time still... and all the other Clifford books too that children love and read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Introducing Clifford., April 16, 2002
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (St. Louis Metro East Area) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This first Clifford the Big Red Dog book is in board book format so that younger children can flip through the pages and enjoy Clifford without accidently destroying the book. This book introduces Emily Elizabeth and her pet dog, Clifford. However, Clifford isn't an ordinary dog. He's big. He's red and he has some peculiar habits. Children of a variety of ages love Clifford and this book is a great way to introduce young children to Emily and Clifford. It's fairly short, entertaining, and contains a subtle message on acceptance as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for little ones who love Clifford, September 22, 2002
By A Customer
This is a great book to read to little ones who love clifford. It is a cute story introducing Emily Elizabeth and her big, red dog. It tells of the experience of owning such a unique dog. The story is simple and the book is just short enough to hold a little ones attention. The illustrations are cute and our little one finds them funny when Clifford is bigger than the house and when he catches the cars. This is also a great book for beginning readers. This is one of our little boys favorite bedtime books.

Clifford The Big Red Dog (Clifford 8x8)
Clifford The Big Red Dog (Clifford 8x8) by Norman Bridwell (Paperback - May 1, 2010)
$3.99