4.0 out of 5 stars My sons' favorite Clifford book

3.0 out of 5 stars Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit
Published on September 29, 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars My sons' favorite Clifford book, January 12, 2000
By A Customer
Both my sons are huge Clifford fans, and this is their favorite of all the Clifford books. I think it's because it might be the only one with a train scene---they are even bigger train fans than Clifford fans! This book also has a picture with a thought bubble inside a thought bubble, which started a good conversation on points of view---how someone can be thinking about someone thinking about them! More of a philosophical idea than you would think you would get from a Clifford book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit, September 29, 2003
A Kid's Review
This book was about a big red dog named Clifford whose owners go away during thanksgiving. So he decides to go visit his mom who lives not too far away. While on his way there he encounters some challenges like traffic, a bridge while it is beginning to go up, a train, and a parade. The lesson of this book is that family is important and that you need to be thankful. The age level of this book is about 5-7. I thought this book was good because it will teach kids what thanksgiving is really about.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thanksgiving book that isn't flat., March 1, 2007
Karen K. Hart (Austin, MN United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Although I do have slight qualms about the dangerous things Clifford does (like cause traffic accidents and come face-to-face with a subway train), this is the best Thanksgiving book I've found. It isn't flat or preachy; it doesn't glorify historic events with inaccurate romanticism.

When Emily Elizabeth goes away for Thanksgiving, Clifford decides to visit his mom in the city. On the way he has adventures and even passes by the life-sized Clifford balloon in the Macy's parade! After visiting his mom, he's happy to be reunited with Emily Elizabeth.

This book features Thanksgiving as most of us would like it to be--full of food, friends, family, and fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars We do not like this book, November 5, 2012
My 4 year old son and I enjoy books together and he already knows how to read pretty well at the age of four. We got this book because thanksigiving draws near but this book was not enjoyable at all. We like other Clifford books but this is not one of them. It's also ridiculous that Clifford's Mom who shows up in this story is a mini version of him and was able to fit on his nose. It's ridiculous how he pushes a train with people out of a tunnel just so that he can get out: "He couldn't turn around, so he pushed the train back to the station." That's quite reckless and rude. It's silly how he jumps on top of the high city buildings on his way to visit his mother. In the end, this thanksgiving story is really only showing one page that is actually about Thanksgiving where Clifford and his mini-sized mother eat dog food and a few heaps of a turkey. That's just not what I expect of a Thanksgiving story. It's a nice idea that Clifford wants to see his mother on Thanksgiving but the story line could have been a lot better and positive instead it was very disappointing. I am sending this back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books, November 28, 2009
As usual, all Clifford books by Norman Bridwell are awesome. They are timeless. I loved them when I was a child, and my daughter has enjoyed them as well. I recommend getting all the originals by Bridwell. The newer Clifford Puppy Days are good too. But nothing beats the original. These are books to save because your grandkids will love them someday in the future too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Books, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit (Paperback)
The Clifford books are always a hit with my 3 and 2 year old daughters. This Book just about completes the holiday collection. They are a bit much, but our girls read them any time of year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Story time book, November 4, 2013
My Kids love all the books about clifford, for a great bedtime reading that is quick and easy for the kids to grasp...

4.0 out of 5 stars Clifford Visits His Mom!, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit (Paperback)
This is a fun and funny book about the Big Red Dog we all know and love. In this story, Emily Elizabeth and the human portion of her family leave to visit grandmother for Thanksgiving. And in her absence Clifford gets lonely and decides to visit his mother in the city.

He has some crazy and funny adventures before getting there --like getting snarled in traffic, and stuck on on a raising bridge. But he does eventually get there and mom and her owner are happy to see him.

Now if you are just looking for a Clifford book, this one is great. I thought it was entertaining and it makes a good practice reader for a child at the beginning 2nd Grade level. (see my post on Thanksgiving books for kids that feature Popular Characters for more info.) However, if you are looking for a book with a strong focus on Thanksgiving-the-holiday and/or 'being thankful' you should look somewhere else. (I thought the Dora book was good.)

Fun story though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Thanksgiving Story for kids!, March 14, 2014
Patti Nash "PNash" (Newark, DE United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this to read to my grandson, Jacob a few years ago. He loved it and I had to read it every time he came to visit, even though it wasn't Thanksgiving. Clifford is a great dog. The stories "He" tells are wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit, August 20, 2013
Kumu Grandchildren love this book, and they ask me to read it to them often. Clifford teaches good values, and I think that's what draw children to love any Clifford book.

Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit
Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit by Norman Bridwell (Paperback - September 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01