5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied
I began the Comedy with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's interpretation; which, though lofty and elegant, is about 10 times harder to comprehend than the King James version of the Bible. So I switched to A.S. Kline's interpretation. That, in concert with Cliff's Notes, made all the difference.

Cliff Weber
Oregon
Published on October 24, 2010 by C.A.W.

3.0 out of 5 stars used it for school
Published 6 months ago by nicole

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied, October 24, 2010
This review is from: CliffsNotes on Dante's Divine Comedy-I Inferno (Cliffsnotes Literature Guides) (Paperback)

Cliff Weber
Oregon

5.0 out of 5 stars latin? please., November 4, 2002
By A Customer
Readers, please note: The two people who gave this negative reviews thought that The Inferno was written in Latin. It wasn't. Clearly, they read neither the Cliff's Note nor the book. Silly to write a review of a book that you know nothing about!

3.0 out of 5 stars used it for school, March 9, 2014
I used this version for a college humanities class. It's good to read before each canto because it gives you a good idea about what is goin on. This book does give you some back ground, which is good, but it is a better aid for leisure reading than for academic study. We are currently reading the translation by Anthony Esolen and I find the notes his book to be more in-depth and more useful for the class. Might be a better source for high school students?

4.0 out of 5 stars a nice refresher, August 20, 2013
I bought this to go through before reading Dan Brown's Inferno to refresh my mind regarding Dante's original. I like the background information about Dante himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before you do the WORK of Dante's original Comedy, do some stretching exercises to ready your brain., April 18, 2013
The Divine Comedy is a really well written, although sometimes excessively wordy and detailed piece of work. Before undertaking the original version---I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Cliff Notes. It will make the original piece far more valuable to you. love, maureen

5.0 out of 5 stars Help for Hell, December 5, 2012
Took the scary out of what I was reading by understanding the author's POV and backstory. Actually made it more interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable learning tool, May 19, 2014
The Cliff Notes are very well put together. It makes clear a writing that can be difficult to read and can be understood on many levels. The glossaries and summaries are concise and to the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars can find similar information online, December 14, 2013
Miss Frazzled (Redding, California) - See all my reviews
a gift for 15 year old grand daughter...she used after she had read the real book and commented she found similar information online

3.0 out of 5 stars A Cliff Note review?!?!, December 29, 2000
NYJ (Atlantic Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
Well, it's odd to write a review for a set of Cliff Notes, but I'll make an exception in this case. People often equate buying Cliff Notes with kids who have to read a book and want to actually get OUT of reading the book. However, I bought Dante's Divine Comedy: The Inferno for leisure reading (actually I like the theological implications that Dante ponders in the writing of his poem) and the Cliff Notes have become quite useful. The Notes start out with a general background of Dante, giving a mini biography of the author. Throughout this sketch they allude to a number of instances in his life which will come into play in his work The Divine Comedy. They then go on with an overall synposis of The Inferno. After that they go into a full-out commentary on the work itself.
I picked up the Cliff Notes at the same time I bought my copy of The Divine Comedy. Why? Well, I didn't want to miss a thing. I read for fun, but I also try with the books I truly enjoy, to read critically. Knowing that the copy of The Inferno was actually a translation from the latin meant that since I cannot read latin, that there would be certain nuances of the language that I may miss out on when reading it in english. Hence, I am relying on the Cliff Notes (which I read AFTER I finish a particular section) to point out these instances to me. I can then go back and re-read the section and gain the deeper insight into the poem itself. Used as a supplement (not as the source itself, which unfortunately happens with many users of Cliff Notes) this has proven to be a nice tool. It is by no means absolutely necessary (my copy of The Inferno comes with its own commentary... I have the Bantam issue of Dante's Divine Comedy) but it is nice to have on hand when there are sections that are a bit 'heavy'. I will not go into the book itself here in this review, since this is the Cliff Notes, but instead I'll tackle that in a review of the book itself. Overall, I think the Cliff Notes are a nice addition, something to have next to the armchair when reading the actual book. The only downside... the Cliff Notes cost almost as much ($4.95) as the book itself ($5.95).

1.0 out of 5 stars I am sure I will enjoy the notes as well as the book which I ..., September 22, 2014
i have not read it yet, as it is a Christmas present. I am sure I will enjoy the notes as well as the book which I purchased. Ty.

CliffsNotes on Dante's Divine Comedy-I Inferno (Cliffsnotes Literature Guides)
$5.99 $5.69