Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Clive Barker's Jericho - Xbox 360
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Platform: Xbox 360|Change

on October 22, 2009
I can see what happened with this game. The hype was so big before it came out that it destroyed it. While Jericho is far from perfect, it's received far too much bashing for a game that's pretty decent. The atmosphere is creepy and unsettling. The storyline is unique and intriguing and also ties in well with the gameplay aspects which was a pleasant surprise. Probably the best aspect I can say about this game is the intuitive gameplay. You have 6 squad members and you can switch back and forth between them (which ties into the storyline I might add, which I thought was really neat). Each member is very unique, sporting different weapons and different special powers. Usually in games like this, I find the 1 or 2 guys I'm best with and go through the entire game but Jericho greatly encourages you to use everyone and I found everyone (and their powers) to be useful throughout the game. Jericho further encourages this behavior by starting you out with different characters after every cut scene and instead of immediately switching over to my favorites, I felt more inclined to stick with who they'd give me for a while. Jericho gives every squad member their chance to be uniquely better to handle certain enemies and situations. It also helped to freshen up the sometimes monotonous gameplay. The squad itself was well developed. They act and talk to each other like a squad and the character development was surprisingly solid which is a rarity for an FPS. I also want to point out that the boss battles were all pretty awesome! I enjoyed them all and there are quite a few and man do they look messed up!

Jericho does have its flaws though. For one, the gameplay pretty much consists of killing wave after wave of enemies, move along, then repeat. This can get old if you don't change it up and switch between squad members. Second, there weren't a lot of different enemies to fight. Probably 10-15 different types of enemies throughout the entire game. I WILL say though, the method of killing these enemies can differ greatly and many times, shooting isn't your best option. Another thing I didn't like, there's not a good cover mechanic. You can duck but it doesn't do a whole lot of good. It's hard to get good cover from the enemies shooting at you. This becomes less of an issue later in the game but it's a killer for the first part. I can't help but wonder if this game would've been better using a third-person system like "Gears of War" instead of first-person. Not only could you use cover, but since you have characters who depend a lot on melee attacks, and button pressing sequences (God of War style), third-person probably would have played and looked a lot better.

PROS:
Intuitive gameplay
Captivating storyline
Good character development
Creepy Atmosphere
Good voice acting
Fun and grotesque bosses

CONS:
Sometimes monotonous gameplay
No good cover mechanic
Not a lot of variety of enemies

Bottom Line: This game got unfairly skewered when it came out. While it's not a classic by any means, I'm glad I ignored a lot of the negative backlash it got and enjoyed playing it. I DO think it has the potential to become a revolutionary game with its innovative gameplay but I'm afraid with all the negative reviews surrounding it, it'll never get its chance to work out the kinks in a sequel.

SIDENOTE: I see a lot of reviews complaining about their squad dying a lot and them having to constantly heal everyone. When I first started playing, I can honestly say it was happening to me as well but as I continued to play I realized it started happening less and less. By the third mission it wasn't happening at all. The key was learning how to play it and play with the different characters and learning how to kill different enemies efficiently. I can see how learning by trial and error might annoy some but the point is, the game doesn't have to play this way. The AI is not dumb. They DO find cover, they run from explosives, they use their powers, they shoot at immediate threats and Rawlings goes out of his way to help heal everyone. You just have to learn how to play. It just doesn't hold your hand through some lame tutorial and tell you the best way to kill everything. Change it up. Use different characters, different powers, and different weapons. Even if something seems to work fairly well, there's usually something that works even better.
on October 30, 2007
I don't understand why this game received negative reviews from IGN and a few other so-called Game critics, but Clive Barker's Jericho manages to live up to it's expectations. I find the plot and concept more interesting than that other FPS game FEAR as you command a supernatural squad to prevent the antagonist; The Firstborn from ressurection and taking over the world while using various powers to solve puzzles, take down enemies, that cannot be beaten with regular firepower.

Each charater has his/her own supernatural abilities: Father Rawlings can drain the health of enimes and channel it to his teammates, Delgado emits a homing fireblast for close encounters,The telekinetic Black's sninper rifle fires rounds that you can control in first person perspective, etc..
After playing for 40 minutes, it's hard to put this game down.With intense firefighting an intriging story aimed directly at horror fans and awesome graphics bump Jericho up a notch or two. It would have gotten a 5 star rating if there were a multiplayer option or even a much better ending.

The critcs got it WRONG, period!(especially EGM in particular.) Jericho was well worth the purchase, unlike The nausea inducing Darkness shooter game. However with more innovate FPS shooters like Bioshock and now Jericho, It's gonna be awhile before this genre goes away.

PS the game is even better while playing the song "Break the walls down" (via Xbox 360's custom soundtrack)courtesy of Nu Metal band Sevendust.
crank the speakers and annoy the neighbors.
on May 28, 2010
Jericho doesn't have the extensive playability as some of the big titles out today do, but it is definitely one game that I'm glad I didn't miss out on! Jericho's dark and twisted atmosphere keeps you wondering what mutated form will be lurking around the next corner, while each character's unique set of weapons and magical skills keeps your mind running to figure out which combination of force to use to survive each horrifying encounter. Grab this game as soon as you can, and enjoy! :)
on June 4, 2010
I was looking for a cheap first person shooter game and found this. It has plenty of action and good graphics. Without giving spoilers I will say that as you move on in the game you will find that different characters can be better in different situations. It can be graphic in terms of blood and some of the language can be "colorful" but is fine for anyone over 18. I enjoyed it and plan to keep it not trade it in. For the money I would say buy it and enjoy.
on August 22, 2009
Sure, I looked both at the Negative and Positive reviews for this game. I was interested in this game since I first looked at it at a Hollywood Video. I saw more positive reviews for the game, so I bought it cheap on Amazon.com. After beating the game, I took sides with the positive reviewers.
on December 22, 2010
I was kind of reluctant to pick this game after reading some review about it, but when I saw that amazon had it for less than $10 I said: COUNT ME IN!

After beating the game I must say that this is one of the most underrated games ever. The graphics are moody and among the sickest I've seen. There is blood splattered everywhere and the color palette is not limited (as some have mentioned), it is actually part of the overall experience and definitely adds up to the moodiness.

Gameplay is simple yet very satisfying, you have your squad and jump from member to member in order to kill gruesome beasts. The story is good but is even better for those who appreciate the occult: there are many hidden things between the lines and the xtra touch of sumerian myths left me with a great impression.

Perfect game? Not a chance but it is one that has been discredited and once you play it it will be clear that this should be a sleeper hit, not the atrocity some reviewer want to make you think it is.
on March 6, 2015
This game is very difficult and has a bit of a confusing story line that makes little to no sense. It's fun i will not deny that and has a pretty creepy feel. But it's an unclean plot with a few flaws in it's story, but hey if you dig senseless killing then this is the game for you.
on April 16, 2015
I didn't know how anti-religious this was, but thats what happens when you buy something without reading about it. The game was good, but there were a lot of little things like bugs that tainted the overall experiences.
on June 15, 2011
I purchased this game because of the price drop and some of the reviews I read on amazon.com and I must say I was quite pleased. A game like Jericho is the reason why I don't listen to so called professional critics. This game was just plain good and fun. Why it got poor reviews I have no idea. The graphics are a little dated by todays standards but still a nice looking game. The gameplay is fun and its nice to be able to play six different characters at the push of a few buttons. The action is fast paced and can sometimes be a little overwhelming but you'll get through it. This game does not suck and there should be a sequel. If you haven't played this game and you like FPS then you are missing out. Put down the Call of Duty, Gears and Halo and play something else for a change. Play Jericho! Stop listening to critics and use your own judgement. It is because of critics and the people that listen to them, why games like Jericho fall by the wayside and you never see a sequel. Its not the greatest game ever made but you will enjoy it. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a real cover system which can be a pain sometimes.
on September 28, 2010
Used this game as a filler to get free shipping (It was less to add the game than to pay for shipping). It was short, but a lot of fun. Going back to get all the achievements added a bit more value. At this price, you can't go wrong.